Female Blood Order Recipients

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 16 Aug 2008, 21:26

Hello folks- I am starting a thread on this after re-reading the mentions of Blood Order holders in the Coburg Badge thread. I lost a lot of data in a computer crash earlier in the year which has put me back somewhat but I retraced a copy of an old Frauen Warte 1942 magazine article and I don't recall seeing this info posted on here before [though I may be wrong].
This mentions 4 female recipients of the Blood Order from Karnten area were being interviewed for the magazine. I am still working on the details but I thought you might be interested in their names:-

Maria-Theresia von Metnitz - employed in the Gauleitung Karnten
Berta Soldat
Maria Bauer - nursing sister in Klagenfurt hospital
Anna Paternonier

This relates to the 2nd pattern blood order and the article gives reference to their investigation by the Austrian authorities for illegal activities.
All it lacks is their Blood Order numbers ;)

Regards
Matt Gibbs

PS there was a Gustav Adolf Von Metnitz who wrote a popular book in 1939 called "Die Deutsche Nationalbewegung" and I assume a relative [husband?] of Maria-Theresia.
Attachments
Berta Soldat.JPG
Berta Soldat with Party Badge in wear
Berta Soldat.JPG (21.6 KiB) Viewed 8737 times

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Re: Female Blood Order Recipients

Post by Phil Nix » 31 Aug 2008, 11:07

Hi Matt
Anna Paternioner appears in the Vorschlagsliste 6.Mai 1942 along with Kaltenbrunner. The others are all in Vorschlagsliste Nr XXVI dated 13 March 1941plus Maria Bauer from Graz, Antonia Friedmann from Vienna, Viktoria Kinschel from Salzburg Christina Maurer from Graz Emma Schneider from Vienna, Maria Antonia Vogel from Vienna and Marianne Weiland from Halle von der Saale. This Vorschlagsliste only contains women and they and they are all from Austria except Weiland
Phil Nix

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 26 Feb 2009, 00:27

Phew, thanks Phil. I must have missed your reply. Just trawling through some re-discovered info after sorting from the house move. I've not noticed them listed as being recipients before. Usually only hear about Sister Pia!
Regards
Matt

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 22 Apr 2009, 11:20

Matt Gibbs wrote:Phew, thanks Phil. I must have missed your reply. Just trawling through some re-discovered info after sorting from the house move. I've not noticed them listed as being recipients before. Usually only hear about Sister Pia!
Regards
Matt
Her son Wilhelm Baur was also a Blood Order holder, (SSOf)
Phil Nix

FANGIO

Post by FANGIO » 26 Apr 2009, 20:29

Hi guys!

Let's see if I understood correct (sorry for my ignorance).
This means that all the women named above were Blutorder recipients? Even the austrians? What's the Vorschlagsliste?
So, not only Sister Pia and Katharina Grünewald were holders of the Blutorder.

Best,

FANGIO

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 22 Jun 2009, 09:39

Fangio;
Yes you are right, they are all recipients. They recieved the 2nd pattern order, as they were not original marchers but gained the award when the criteria was widened and further issues made. Very interesting stuff :D

FANGIO

Post by FANGIO » 23 Jun 2009, 02:40

Thanks a lot for your reply Matt, very appreciated.
Best,

FANGIO

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 03 Mar 2010, 03:30

I was going through some recently acquired issues of "NS Frauen-Warte" and found the article Matt references in his first posting. It's in the November 1942 issue. The article states that there were 16 female recipients of the award, 14 of whom were Austrian. Regrettably, some fiend cut out the page which has the last portion of the article (grr!) but the following Austrians are listed:

Marianne Weiland (Salzburg)
Dore Kinschel (Salzburg)
Ludmilla Gaisch (Stainz bei Graz)
Maria Theresia von Metnitz (Kaernten)
Berta Soldat (Kaernten)
Maria Bauer (Kaernten)
Anna Paternioner (Kaernten)
Hildegard Goessl (?)
Frau Peter (Innsbruck)

I'm attaching the first page of this article. With the names in Phil's posting we have almost all of the 14 women...

During the war Bormann issued a memo to the Party leadership emphasizing that Sister Pia was not the only female recipient of the medal, no matter what people thought, and that a number of Austrian women had received it. I don't think he named any recipients, though. I'll try to find the memo - it's in one of the "Verfuegungen/Anordnungen/Bekanntgaben" volumes issued by the Parteikanzlei...
Attachments
BlutordenFr.jpg
BlutordenFr.jpg (241.54 KiB) Viewed 6782 times

FANGIO

Post by FANGIO » 03 Mar 2010, 04:53

Great info.

Just one doubt, is it Viktoria or Dore Kinschel?

So the total would be 16 women? (6 from Germany and 10 from Austria?):

01- Maria-Theresia von Metnitz (Kaerten, Germany)
02- Berta Soldat (Kaerten, Germany)
03- Maria Bauer (Kaerten, Germany)
04- Anna Paternonier (Kaerten, Germany)
05- Marianne Weiland (Halle von der Saale, Germany)
06- Katharina Grünewald (Germany)
07- Christina Maurer (Graz, Austria)
08- Emma Schneider (Vienna, Austria)
09- Maria Antonia Vogel (Vienna, Austria)
10- Maria Bauer (Graz, Austria)
11- Antonia Friedmann (Vienna, Austria)
12- Marianne Weiland (Salzburg, Austria)
13- Viktoria or Dore Kinschel ? (Salzburg, Austria)
14- Ludmila Gaisch (Stainz bei Gratz, Austria)
15- Hildegard Gössl (Austria)
16- Frau Peter (Innsbruck, Austria)

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 03 Mar 2010, 16:37

I think there were only 2 German recipients (Sister Pia, Katharina Gruenewald). The other 14 seem to all have been Austrians - that's what the "Frauen-Warte" article claims, at any rate. The Kaernten women were awarded the medal for services when the region was still part of Austria.

I think "Dore"/"Viktoria" Kinschel is the same person - perhaps Dore was a nickname?

You've got Maria Bauer appearing twice on your list. We are still missing one name, I think. I'll have to find a complete copy of that magazine!

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 03 Mar 2010, 23:41

Now I'm confused. Is there confirmation that Katharina Gruenewald received the medal? She's on the list of Party martyrs (as printed in books like "Ich kaempfe"). But the Blood Order wasn't supposed to be awarded to those fallen "in action", was it? I've never seen names like Horst Wessel or any of the Feldherrnhalle dead on any Blood Order recipient list, nor have I seen Katharina Gruenewald. Is there any substantive evidence that she did get the medal?

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 06 May 2010, 19:11

I've now acquired an intact copy of the "NS Frauen Warte" issue for November 1942 which contains the interesting article on female Blood Order recipients. Based on this, here's my list of recipients:

The article claims there were 16 females who got the medal, 2 from the Altreich and 14 from Austria. I think the two German recipients are:

Sister Pia
Emma Schneider from Bromberg (she was imprisoned by the Austrian authorities after fleeing Bromberg at some point, and received the medal for this imprisonment)

I don't think Katharina Gruenewald got the medal, since it apparently was never considered to be a posthumous award. She's not mentioned in the "Frauen Warte" article as well.

The 14 Austrian women were:

Maria Bauer - Kärnten
Maria Bauer - Graz (same name as the Kärnten Bauer but a different person, apparently)
Antonie Friedmann - Wien [Vienna]
Ludmilla Gaisch - Stainz bei Graz
Hildegard Goessl - Innsbruck
Dore Kintschel - Salzburg
Christl Maurer - Graz
Maria Theresia von Metnitz - Kärnten
Maria Moeslein - Wien [Vienna]
Anna Paternioner - Kärnten
Frau Peter - Innsbruck
Berta Soldat - Kärnten
Emma Weidinger - Muerzzuschlag
Marianne Weiland - Salzburg

Hopefully this list is complete and accurate. Corrections would be welcomed!

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 06 May 2010, 23:51

This is excellent information, jeffhan373, thanks for posting it! I was going to thank you after your earlier posts, but since it seemed you were trying to verify some of the info, I waited.

It's equally interesting to see the original source the information is from. I guess I'm not completely wasting my time collecting and poring through all those copies of Frauenwarte. :)

Best,
~Vikki

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 02 Jun 2010, 17:06

Superb!
I was never able to find a complete copy of that issue of the magazine, only a photo copy / scan of the article pages.
Really nice to see it followed up so completely, and that it helps to show there was more than just "Sister Pia" :D
regards
Matt

JonFish

Post by JonFish » 20 May 2016, 23:50

Hi guys, and Jeff, any further information in the article about Emma Schneider from Bromberg. You mention (she was imprisoned by the Austrian authorities after fleeing Bromberg at some point, and received the medal for this imprisonment) I was wondering if the article says any further details on that? thanks!
Collector of Blood Orders , Blutorden, and associated items.

Return to “Women in the Reich”