1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Jammy

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by Jammy » 08 May 2018, 19:45

73 years later to the day....Thank you Brittstephen for your latest post. Very poignant! I hope you enjoyed your visit. An honorable pilgrimage to 42 seconds frozen in time which still, somehow, captivates many of us posting on this forum.
I wonder how the celebrations mentioned by longball went? Almost certainly the only remaining opportunity to find anyone connected with the LGG.
For me this is not a search for one young lady who is almost certainly no longer with us. Just a reminder of, and a memorial to, people who suffer during conflict. Then, now and in the future.
Jammy

Brittstephan

Post by Brittstephan » 08 May 2018, 22:57

I agree with the other people that her name and if she was german or not stays in the dark.but just the image and the 42second that inspired me to travel all the way to CZ....fore me its not about to proof its lore or lara bauer for me its was the issue to see the road with my own eyes.i hope offcourse we found more info.sow again thank you all fore the info so far!greetings stephan and britt

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 09 May 2018, 04:21

Dear certik66 and Forum,

Could you advise us about laws and regulations in the Czech Republic regarding cenothaps in public places. I believe that LGG represents all unknown women who served and suffered during the WWII and have not yet been remembered. Maybe it could be a very small stone with an inscription on it. I have seen thousands of those called "stumbling stones" in Germany. A few years ago, mikaela, a Czech artist and forumember, made an art presentation in Dresden (?) focused on the LGG story. Her non virtual initiative was quite inspiring. I believe that LGG has concentrated sufficient attention and simphaties from many through this las 10 years.

Cheers all!

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 11 May 2018, 14:47

An off-topic post from Movie, which raised other incidents of late-war violence, was removed pursuant to forum rules.
1. Basic Guidelines

* Keep the message on topic
Although there are occasionally exceptions, the forum management tries to keep a thread on a single topic. This makes it easier for readers to follow, and for researchers to subsequently locate, the discussions. If a poster would like to see further discussion of off-topic matters, please raise the subject in a pre-existing thread on that topic or, if there are no pre-existing threads, on a separate thread.
https://forum.axishistory.com/app.php/rules

EasyRoller

Post by EasyRoller » 27 May 2018, 08:37

Hi Eisvogel,

They could be of any nationality of course but I noticed their uniforms were a bit strange, not exactly German Heer (some gear and uniform flocking seemed German but other components did not to me). Second, since the film was taken in what is now called the Czech Republic, I associated that with partisan activities and possible vengance on those Czechs who volunteered to serve in the German army in their retreat. With the early acquisition of the Sudetenland, Czech-land was full of ethnic Germans with lots of sympathetic Czechs as well, and a very large number of people who were both (Germano-Slavic). There can be numerous other scenarios of course so I was trying to piece together what may have been logical for that locale at that time.

But getting back to the LGG -- it would have been unusual for the German army to have abandoned any serving women in their retreat so I also surmise she may have been part of a group, German or Czech or (?), who got ambushed and messed up a bit.

The only way at this point that I can see getting any sort of explanation of her fate is to have the matter submitted for airing on the local news in the Czech Republic, Germany and maybe Poland and see if anyone steps forward with verifiable knowledge from a relative. Perhaps it could be a 10 minute documentary short appealing at the end for any further information.

Cheers.

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 28 May 2018, 13:24

EasyRoller wrote:Hi Eisvogel,

They could be of any nationality of course but I noticed their uniforms were a bit strange, not exactly German Heer (some gear and uniform flocking seemed German but other components did not to me). Second, since the film was taken in what is now called the Czech Republic, I associated that with partisan activities and possible vengance on those Czechs who volunteered to serve in the German army in their retreat. With the early acquisition of the Sudetenland, Czech-land was full of ethnic Germans with lots of sympathetic Czechs as well, and a very large number of people who were both (Germano-Slavic). There can be numerous other scenarios of course so I was trying to piece together what may have been logical for that locale at that time.

But getting back to the LGG -- it would have been unusual for the German army to have abandoned any serving women in their retreat so I also surmise she may have been part of a group, German or Czech or (?), who got ambushed and messed up a bit.
Dear Robert,

thank you for the clarification.

Best regards,
Eisvogel

mars0367

Post by mars0367 » 06 Aug 2018, 03:58

Hi All

Maybe I've missed a post which has already postulated what I am about to.

It seems obvious to me that LGG was with the small group sitting down by the side of the road before the shots of her on her own walking down the road were filmed. As has been mentioned before these solitary shots were likely set up by Haglund. In one of the shots of her walking she shakes her heads as though to say "thats enough". Also don't forget her hair was shown to be permed in the latest fashion. The last shot shows her smiling amongst the small group, to which I would say she belongs.

She was not walking down the road on her own.

Another thing to think about is that her injury may not have been caused by physical violence, accidents happen in wartime too.

And for all we know one of the men sitting with her was her husband, friend etc.

Haglund, an experienced film maker, set up the walking scene almost as though he knew that those few seconds would be memorable long after he had been forgotten.

More conjecture - yes - but thats all we have.

In all our interest in LGG, let us remember the wisdom of the guy who deliberately staged it and filmed it.

And our hope that LGG eventually (and safely) arrived "home".

cheers to all

mars0367
By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. - George Carlin RIP
So is the above statement true or not - Mars
Truth will out - Shakespeare

Danno

Post by Danno » 04 Sep 2018, 12:22

I know im covering old ground here but im 100% convinced its the same women in the pic on the left but the image is just reversed.

Where did that pic come from??

headwest

Post by headwest » 04 Sep 2018, 14:30

i certainly have no idea if right but I have always thought, at least in terms of pics we have seen that this was also a very good possibility and was the same person.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 04 Sep 2018, 18:55

Here you go, now you can compare it better:
Attachments
mirrored.jpg
mirrored.jpg (80.25 KiB) Viewed 19310 times

Danno

Post by Danno » 06 Sep 2018, 10:07

110% convinced! :D

jesk
Banned

Post by jesk » 06 Sep 2018, 10:25

They are not alike. Different people in the photo. In May 1945 her expression was lost. On the left, the girl is more modest.

hsa601

Post by hsa601 » 06 Sep 2018, 10:40

I agree with Jesk. Not the same people.

Danno

Post by Danno » 06 Sep 2018, 18:14

jesk wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 10:25
They are not alike. Different people in the photo. In May 1945 her expression was lost. On the left, the girl is more modest.
Because she has been through a seriously traumatic time maybe? Nobody knows what she has seen & she has been badly beaten.

Plus i would say she is younger in the left pic.

paulrward

Post by paulrward » 07 Sep 2018, 05:11

Hello All :

The first image ( the one seen in Mr. Danno's posting of 04 Sep 2018 03:22 - ) is correct. If you look closely, you will note that the
lady's coat has the right lapel buttoning OVER the left lapel, which is standard in women's coats - ( Men's coats are the exact opposite ! )

So the image is not reversed.

Respectfully :

Paul R. Ward
Information not shared, is information lost
Voices that are banned, are voices who cannot share information....
Discussions that are silenced, are discussions that will occur elsewhere !

Return to “Women in the Reich”