1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Uncle John

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by Uncle John » 10 May 2023, 03:12

CarlosXander wrote:
09 May 2023, 22:11
Haglund passed away in 1972 and it was only in 1974 that his filming became known
If he were still alive and saw his film clip in his color tube at home....he might say something, maybe not much.... who knows?
It was too late.

Uncle John

Post by Uncle John » 14 May 2023, 12:57

Wait a minute, I was thinking....LGG walked alone on the road?.....hmmm 

I don't think "Hollywood" Haglund first saw her walking on the road like that by herself .....no way, too dangerous.
I think he first saw her with some fellow Germans on the side of the road and asked her to take a walk alone for filming...... 

That's what I think.......maybe, I'm wrong.
Did he ask for her name?  Can't say.....maybe he didn't care back then.

CarlosXander

Post by CarlosXander » 14 May 2023, 20:37

hello
in theory she was not traveling alone, but was with a group of 200 supposed SS prisoners, at that time, place and moment a single woman would not dare to travel alone there, so it is very likely that she was traveling in that group that they were attacked by civilians a few kilometers before (at the exit of Rokycany), she is observed in a state of shock, so she intuitively headed for the city of Pilsen, she was left alone and continued, if you see the context of the filming she was in a state Shock apparently does not realize that there were soldiers there so she continued without stopping and Haglund stops her to be able to film the condition she was in, she wanted to continue towards her objective like most of the prisoners who knew they would be the meeting place with the US troops, it is perhaps that they beg to be allowed to advance before the arrival of the Russian army (they believed that this area would be taken by the Russian army, the Americans had to reach Pilsen but Patton decided to advance a little more and was in the town of Rokycany the demarcation line between the 2 armies, for which she and all the others were under the "protection" of the US).
Whether Haglund knew her name remains a mystery, so she apparently did not know him and that is why he identified her as "SS girl" for being with the group that were separated where those supposed SS prisoners were, there is no record, no There are notes, only the Shot cards to identify the filming and nothing else, a shame
Greetings

theczechkat

Post by theczechkat » 16 May 2023, 15:40

CarlosXander wrote:
14 May 2023, 20:37
hello
in theory she was not traveling alone, but was with a group of 200 supposed SS prisoners, at that time, place and moment a single woman would not dare to travel alone there, so it is very likely that she was traveling in that group that they were attacked by civilians a few kilometers before (at the exit of Rokycany), she is observed in a state of shock, so she intuitively headed for the city of Pilsen, she was left alone and continued, if you see the context of the filming she was in a state Shock apparently does not realize that there were soldiers there so she continued without stopping and Haglund stops her to be able to film the condition she was in, she wanted to continue towards her objective like most of the prisoners who knew they would be the meeting place with the US troops, it is perhaps that they beg to be allowed to advance before the arrival of the Russian army (they believed that this area would be taken by the Russian army, the Americans had to reach Pilsen but Patton decided to advance a little more and was in the town of Rokycany the demarcation line between the 2 armies, for which she and all the others were under the "protection" of the US).
Whether Haglund knew her name remains a mystery, so she apparently did not know him and that is why he identified her as "SS girl" for being with the group that were separated where those supposed SS prisoners were, there is no record, no There are notes, only the Shot cards to identify the filming and nothing else, a shame
Greetings
Hi, I am Czech and can confirm this is true..or at least it is believed that she was traveling with a group of SS prisoners and was super shocked and confused. I have read several stories and books from my grandfather, some of them mention that she was raped on a daily basis and that after a while, she was so numb (physically and mentally) that she didn't know where she was or who she was with. You could see her with swollen cheeks, eyes, and hands. She was truly devastated in every way.
Patience brings roses. master number 11

enorepap

Post by enorepap » 16 May 2023, 16:41

Good morning theczechkat

I've been following this thread almost since it started (fifteen years ago) and I made also a couple of initial posts (no. 170 and 175). Now we are at post no. 2555. You say you've read many of your grandfather's books that mention the person this thread has been dealing with for so long. Can you please quote the titles of these books and, since you write fluently in English, post the relevant translations? Thank you and greetings

CarlosXander

Post by CarlosXander » 17 May 2023, 00:21

Hello
With the matter if LGG was raped I have not found any information on that matter at that time, if the acts of violence that can be seen in the films, if later, if she was harassed or raped suggests that not (one usually see her beatings and it is believed that she was raped like most documentaries show her) she was beaten by (believed) civilians and Czech partisans (very subtly implied also by US troops) in the book “Na demarkační čáře, Americká armáda v Čechách v roce 1945” (which is the only account I got from that moment) it must be understood that at that time women who “collaborated” with the enemy were subjected to beatings, mistreatment and stripping of clothes (the most visual case is in France) leads me to understand that she was beaten (perhaps for wearing men's clothing and not knowing that she was a woman) and then stripped of her clothes as they did in various parts of these days women, being surrounded by civilians, soldiers and most importantly by cameramen, I don't think they dared to rape a woman in front of everyone (unfortunately I don't rule out that "maybe" that could happen in another place near there, but very unlikely ), I did find these unfortunate events in the Russian sector, especially in the accounts of May 10 and after, but also on the side where the US troops were, in the book "Zur Problematik von Soldatinnen...." the author of the book recounts that when they were arrested for belonging to the SS in Ejpovice, 4 women went to Pilsen to look for answers, they returned shortly after with their papers stamped as a member of the SS and 2 of her were raped (although she does not say who they were ).
As I was saying, I have not found material or books where these events took place in that area at the time LGG was filmed, but comments like those already described
greetings

ImageImage

ImageImage

Translation
A glimmer of hope shines on us for hours and one
Night! Then the girls were back —— with serious faces
and tears in my eyes. They laboriously move with the ground
out: On examination they were engraved because of us
Blood group with the note "Waffen—SS" on the papers
not fired. After a terrible night in which two raped
were, they are back. So this blooms for us, so much
we wished ourselves away from here; we were afraid what to do next

wirklich

Post by wirklich » 18 May 2023, 04:33

Louisville wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 22:38
OK, This is my first post on the forum...
I've worked, as a psychologist, with the UNHCR, mainly in Africa and Middle East. I've seen and talked to a lot of women and children casualties of war.
Unfortunately a lot of theses women have been victims of repeated rapes.
I don' t think the LGG has been group raped. She won' t be able to walk normally, she would be bleeding.
At this time a lot of women have been raped, but maybe not this one... Maybe rape is a projection, is in the eye of the viewer...
I think she was German AAA personnel and was beaten by civilians...
Was she raped? Another known unknown.
Film footage of violence in Eastern Europe perpetrated by civilians, shows they can be extremely brutal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-3zY9 ... IKg%3C/URL

Maxo

Post by Maxo » 19 May 2023, 20:38

I've re-registered more than 10 years after initially joining as a 20 year old University Student casually interested in the footage I stumbled over whilst doing a History degree.

Now I'm a parent myself, I've re read the 170 pages with different eyes.

Frankly, I'm shocked at the romanticising of LLG - all the while the same footage shows a murdered child, several murdered soldiers, and a dying, badly battered man with all of his lasting dignity in shreds. Both that dead child and that seriously injured man have been almost completely ignored on this thread - receiving scarse sentimentality while various members are blindsided into waxing lyrical over LLGs beauty and vulnerability......

And daring to question her "SS Girl" label from the battle weary Yanks who, of course, were less informed than a lusting keyboard warrior 80 years in the future.

I'm actually glad that her identity remains unknown - who knows what crimes against humanity she herself was party to - there are millions of more deserving yet faceless, forgotten women, children (and men) who deserve the attention she continues to receive.

DD66

Post by DD66 » 20 May 2023, 16:25

There is no evidence whatsoever that Haglund or anyone else in attendence on that day said she was SS.
Whoever wrote the notes described her as SS, but we don't know who wrote the notes or when they were written. It could have been decades after the event.
As I, and many others have stated, on numerous occasions, the only things we can be 99.9% certain of is that she was near Ejpovice on the 8th (or (9th) of May 1945.
Everything else is guesswork, or in the case of some members, pure fantasy, and should be treated as such.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 21 May 2023, 18:58

Maxo -- Please stay on topic.

irishmain

Post by irishmain » 26 May 2023, 21:51

I have been so inspired by this thread, over the years. Not just in the desire to find the identity of the Lady. That has faded somewhat. But in the unexpected kindness shown by certain people here, who have dedicated so much research and time. I guess sometimes we are not meant to find all the answers. Or at least, expect to be disappointed. LGG has not and will not be forgotten. I propose a meet up near the video locations for May 2025. Plenty of time for us to plan. Just a day or two to meet up those who are lucky enough to be able to travel and maybe also see a bigger picture here, than just finding the identity. A symbolic gesture of harmony. Greetings from Dublin, Ireland. And thanks once again, to you all.

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 28 May 2023, 16:15

irishmain wrote:
26 May 2023, 21:51
I propose a meet up near the video locations for May 2025.
Please register my interest.

Gradus

Post by Gradus » 29 May 2023, 22:05

Good idea. That meeting I mean. Keep us posted please. Also, has anyone mentioned a book by Filip Beax before?

Gradus

Post by Gradus » 30 May 2023, 18:33

Gradus

Post by Gradus » 30 May 2023, 18:35

When you think of Ejpovice, most people think of the construction of the Ejpovice tunnel, which in 2018 significantly shortened the train ride from Prague to Pilsen, or the Ejpovice water reservoir with its famous cliffs. However, few people from the public know that Ejpovice has a rich history, especially in May 1945. Historians and military history enthusiasts will pay attention, because behind the unobtrusive name is a place that in 1945 changed its immediate surroundings tounrecognizable, and to this day, thanks to the events discussed in the book, it is possible to find enough tangible artefacts connected with the end of the Second World War on Czech territory. In 2004, I completely fell under the spell of a metal detector device, which is often called a mine detector by people who don't know about it. Since then, discovering the history of the war has literally become my mission. Specifically, the village of Ejpovice has become a matter of my heart over the years, and as you will see for yourself, I have helped historians fill in the blanks of history with some personal finds from these places.

As per Felix Beax. Seems he is from around there. Might be a great source of information.

Return to “Women in the Reich”