1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Penn44
Banned

Re: 1945 LOST GERMAN GIRL

Post by Penn44 » 19 Jul 2010, 02:17

Has anyone reviewed the records of the US unit who captured this particular town? Sometimes US Army units will list the enemy units they encountered in their daily reports.

Has anyone reviewed the records of the US signal photography unit that took the film?

I may be at NARA in a few weeks, and if no one has taken a peek at the US Army records, I may have time to do so.

Penn44

I once was told that I was vain, but I knew that vanity was a fault, so I gave it up because I have no faults.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 19 Jul 2010, 02:38

A personal attack by Penn44 was removed from the thread.

Penn, if you don't like the thread, you're welcome not to read it and to go elsewhere.

~Vikki

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 19 Jul 2010, 03:14

Vikki wrote:A personal attack by Penn44 was removed from the thread.

Penn, if you don't like the thread, you're welcome not to read it and to go elsewhere.

~Vikki
It was a legitmate historical question. Why are some individuals attracted to certain historical personalities or events? For example, why do grown people dress up as up as historical figures and gather together? Those of us who don't feel the need ask the legitimate question - why?

For this particular person, why the prolonged interest? She is not the only person in her situation and not the only person photographed.

The question "why" is so taboo in AHF. I wonder why?

Penn44

I once was told that I was vain, but I knew that vanity was a fault, so I gave it up because I have no faults.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 19 Jul 2010, 04:06

Penn44 wrote:
Vikki wrote:A personal attack by Penn44 was removed from the thread.

~Vikki
It was a legitmate historical question. Why are some individuals attracted to certain historical personalities or events? For example, why do grown people dress up as up as historical figures and gather together? Those of us who don't feel the need ask the legitimate question - why?

For this particular person, why the prolonged interest? She is not the only person in her situation and not the only person photographed.

The question "why" is so taboo in AHF. I wonder why?

Penn44

No one has a problem with the question "why". It's your phrasing of it as an insult that people mind.

Now get back to the original topic, or you'll be wondering "why" your posts don't appear in the thread any longer.

~Vikki

brick2

Post by brick2 » 21 Jul 2010, 01:41

Penn44 wrote:
Has anyone reviewed the records of the US signal photography unit that took the film?

I may be at NARA in a few weeks, and if no one has taken a peek at the US Army records, I may have time to do so.

Penn44

Hello Penn44,there were two cameramen taking the films,it would be interesting to identyfy the other cameraman.
4th combat camera crew 9th (army) air force.

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 21 Jul 2010, 03:06

brick2 wrote:Hello Penn44,there were two cameramen taking the films,it would be interesting to identyfy the other cameraman.
4th combat camera crew 9th (army) air force.
Okay.

Have any of you attempted to contact the next-of-kin of the known cameraman to see if he kept any personal records?

Penn44

stello

Post by stello » 21 Jul 2010, 14:44

here is a confrontation between girl and LGG faces. different proportions of noses (smaller in LGG) let me think to different persons (...i'm sorry for my bad english...)
proportions.png
proportions.png (93.5 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 23 Jul 2010, 23:53

Dear Stello,

Good work! It is the first forensic assestment in this thread.

Ciao

stello

Post by stello » 28 Jul 2010, 09:30

Dear Ignacio,
thank you! your words are the best welcome in AHF!

I'd want also remark the photo alteration of LGG in my first post (I provided to remove tumefactions from LGG's face), becose I think it will come in very useful for next researches and/or comparisons...

all the best,

stello

Diotima

Post by Diotima » 05 Aug 2010, 13:48

I'm new on the boards. Like many others, I'm fascinated by the eyes of the young German woman on the film. I think one of the reasons for the wide spread fascination is that she looks so much more raw and direct than other people on film at that time. She looks at us as though she wanted to speak to us, and that makes her so immediately captivating.

I have followed the discussion from page 1 and I'm totally impressed by the professionalism, care and diligence of the people around here, and their immense knowledge. A wonderful source of knowledge, reached by communication in a great environment. I'm happy I found the boards.

Concerning the two pictures: I'm an art historian and look at pictures professionally all the time. IMO, it is very well possible that the two young women are the same. Her hair is parted differently on the first picture, but if you look in the movie, you see that her hair seems to part naturally on both sides of her forehead. She might have forced her hair to part on one side, but after a long time without washing and styling it, it may have returned to the other side. The shape of the forehead is remarkably similar.

The difference in the shapes of the eyebrows - I'm not sure about that, but it seems to me that in the film, she constricts her eyebrows. Her facial muscles work really hard, expressing a mixture of emotions, and this changes the shape of the eyebrows. In the earlier picture, we see a face in complete inactivity of muscles. Besides, she may have "tamed and shaped" her eyebrows with a comb the way my mother did. (No make up for German women - at least not noticeably...)

The nose - hunger and swelling after being hit in the face make it difficult to judge.

All in all, I find the similarity quite remarkable although again, we can't be sure.

If she is the friend of Richard Eiermann - is it the same man who wrote the book with Wolfgang Fleischer, Das letze Jahr der Waffen-SS? (Brick mentions that he is not sure whether this Richard Eiermann and the author are the same person - I repeat his question.)

http://www.amazon.de/Das-letzte-Jahr-Wa ... 3895554383

available also here: http://www.downeu.com/d/Waffen-SS.html

A list of Eiermann's books is here:

http://www.amazon.de/s?_encoding=UTF8&s ... 20Eiermann

I feel a total idiot amongst you but he must have expertise in the area, and it might be possible to find out more about him from his books.

Where was he in the war, who was his girlfriend, did he marry her? I'd like to envision a happy ending for her...

May he be identifcal with Stabsfeldwebel Richard Eiermann ins Sinsbach-Rohrheim, mentioned here:
http://www.vdrbw.de/bw_rk_epfenbach/BW14968.php (ctrl-f Eiermann)?

And what about Richard Eiermann mentioned here: http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic ... 62&t=29237

Sorry if my questions are ignorant but I wonder...

(Btw: I got interested in the topic because my grandmother with her children (among them my mother, then a baby) fled from the Sudetenland by foot in February 45 - I know no details, but I'm trying to find out more.)

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 06 Aug 2010, 00:48

Hello Diotima,

many thanks for your kind words to all of us and your support in advancing the search for this mysterious woman. But first of all of course :welcome:
All people, amateurs as well as professionals, who can add some small bits and pieces of their knowledge here are an enormous help. Despite zero funds and zero resources except volunteer expertise we've already come quite far with that and the story goes on.

Best regards
Torsten

brick2

Post by brick2 » 06 Aug 2010, 12:54

Found some more of Haglunds films http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... water-pool only he could get the date that wrong!

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 10 Aug 2010, 15:05

Hello Diotima,

Welcome to this forum and specially to this thread. All opinions are appreciated. I have to confess that I am surprised how many people are following our progress. In my oppinion there many facts that are still inclonclusive. Firstly the exact location of the scene. Althou there are many which are quite close, nobody has yet taken a photo of the exact spot. The argument is that the road is wider now. But still I am not sure. Regarding LGG identification the comparisons have been very professional indeed. Ladies oppinions as yours are very important to enlighten us genltemen regarding those little tricks of feminine make up. Our Italian friend did a very good job so far. I have hopes that some extra forensic oppinions on the photos might be posted.

Cheers!

hdarek

Post by hdarek » 15 Aug 2010, 11:59

Welcome Stello,
Great Work,

Yes Diotima, You are right the video captivates those who see it,
Just the way it did me! I also feel that the woman in the Photo
could be LGG. Things can change the way a person looks. For
example my mothers face is fuller in the summer than in the winter.
Anyway This forum is full of wonderful people! I think it is wonderful that
people today would still care about someone from 65 years ago!
With determination we will find the answers. If I was that woman I
would feel very good if i knew so many people still cared!

stello

Post by stello » 16 Aug 2010, 17:20

dear forum,

many of us in this board have spent last two months to discuss if the young girls are the same persons. I suppose all we think this point is very important now.

I’d want to try to improve the comparison with a new attachment: the same picture i sent 25 days ago but some bigger, to facilitate your analysis...

(I put the bluring at the same level to equalize the pictures).
Attachments
proportions.png
proportions.png (164.28 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

Return to “Women in the Reich”