1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Tonyny44

Re: 1945 LOST GERMAN GIRL

Post by Tonyny44 » 29 Jan 2009, 06:13

Hawkwind wrote:
ignacioosacar wrote:What if she was an SS typist or telephone operator ?
:roll: Yeah imagine that -- I wonder how many people she killed with that "SS panzer typewriter". Swing that carriage too fast and it might come off and hit some ruskie in the noggin! :roll: :P

RFPB

Post by RFPB » 30 Jan 2009, 17:51

Tonyny44 wrote:
Hawkwind wrote:
ignacioosacar wrote:What if she was an SS typist or telephone operator ?
:roll: Yeah imagine that -- I wonder how many people she killed with that "SS panzer typewriter". Swing that carriage too fast and it might come off and hit some ruskie in the noggin! :roll: :P
With the records German SS and Army units kept there is no doubt there was a lot of type writers. How can you discount it and how can anybody think to bring that up in this sort of situation? We're talking about a beaten woman who could have quite possibly been raped...

Tonyny44

Post by Tonyny44 » 02 Feb 2009, 03:04

I think my post came off wrong and I misunderstood. I THOUGHT the original poster was justifying her being beaten because she might have been an "SS typist". I certainly don't agree with the abuse she went through.

RFPB

Post by RFPB » 02 Feb 2009, 05:03

Tonyny44 wrote:I think my post came off wrong and I misunderstood. I THOUGHT the original poster was justifying her being beaten because she might have been an "SS typist". I certainly don't agree with the abuse she went through.
Ah okay. I believe he meant the opposite of such; she may have been a part of the SS, but in a role where she had done nothing wrong.

Biber

Post by Biber » 02 Feb 2009, 16:00

Am I the only one around here waiting for this thread to die?

B

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 03 Feb 2009, 15:31

Dear Forum,

Actually I am still waiting for comments about the initial questions to be posted. The focus has faded away even thou many of you had very sharp remarks. Again, is there anyone who recognizes her ? Any relative or friend ?

Thank you all

Ignacio

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 04 Feb 2009, 06:43

The chances of anyone recognizing her at this point are less than remote. I'm afraid she will remain just one more nameless character lost and forgotten in the Maelstrom that was WWII.

Bcc335

Post by Bcc335 » 09 Feb 2009, 09:17

I to found this footage of the Lost German Girl haunting. A couple of observations.

1. There was a a Capt. Oren W. Haglund who served with the F.M.P.U. First Motion Picture Unit during WWII who later did TV work in Hollywood and died 15 September 1972, San Bernardino, California.
Connection to the Haglund listed as cameraman on Lost German Girl footage?

He is listed on the http://www.imdb.com and F.M.P.U. website http://www.genordell.com/stores/lantern/FMPU.htm

2. By using the footage linked at the Steven Spielberg site located at the USHMM; on Full sceen(right click, click zoom, full screen)

http://resources.ushmm.org/film/display ... e_num=4686

I noticed that the girl is standing next to a white road marker with red cap/stripe on top labled with number 78.
Is this the road number or kilometer marker?

Mapquest shows a road 78 crosses over from Poland Into Czech Republic near a city named Bohumin CR.
This seems to far east for U.S. forces ordered to hold at the Karlovy Vary - Plzen -Ceske Budejovice stop line. Even though other elements got as close as 10 miles west of Prague before being ordered to return to the line.

If you put the footage located at the link above on full screen you will note a light recon airplane passes just above tree top level to the extreme left upper top corner of the screen just behind the passing car. You can also go to WMP11 Options and play footage on slow speed for this(right click movie, click play sped slow).

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 09 Feb 2009, 14:12

Dear Bcc 335,

Welcome to the forum! You are a great analyst ! No doubt it must be the same Haglund as you suggest

In the original film I saw 3 other POW girls.

1.In uniform, marching among male POW´s in the first scenes.

2.Dressed in civilian clothes among other prisoners.

3. Wearing a peasant dress. Is this a German Sudete attire ?

I am intrigued with 2. and 3. Are they wives ? Helferings who lost their uniforms ? Cannot figure out what are they doing lined up with the German PoW´s.

Thank you very much.

Ignacio

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 09 Feb 2009, 22:23

Welcome to the forum, bcc335!

This:
Bcc335 wrote: I noticed that the girl is standing next to a white road marker with red cap/stripe on top labled with number 78.
Is this the road number or kilometer marker?

Mapquest shows a road 78 crosses over from Poland Into Czech Republic near a city named Bohumin CR.
This seems to far east for U.S. forces ordered to hold at the Karlovy Vary - Plzen -Ceske Budejovice stop line. Even though other elements got as close as 10 miles west of Prague before being ordered to return to the line.

is a very good observation. Perhaps the number '78' gives the distance to one of the origins of the road. If we assume that the origin is Prague the place in question could be just east of Rokycany (or Rokitzan in German) on the road from Pilsen to Prague. And that's where the advance of US Army's 2nd Infantry Division ended in 1945 and where they met the Soviets. Definitely a hot candidate for further investigation.

Many thanks and best regards
Torsten

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 10 Feb 2009, 16:31

Probably enough people here remember the fascination in many places with a 1985 National Geographic magazine cover photo of the Afghan Girl.

It was a long and tenuous quest to find her, but in 2002 she was located and positively identified against most expectations. The interest in her was no less for it. Certainly no one thought that it would change the realities of Afghanistan's forever war. But it is human nature to make icons of great and terrible things and events. I was in uniform when the Afghan Girl was on the magazine cover, when the Soviet war was still being fought there -- and I remember enough of my contemporaries thinking, it was somehow as if the entire war was captured or reflected in her eyes. (We were reconnaissance photo interpreters, and magazine periodicals have long been sources for that work.)

Although the German girl video is not the same, I can understand why others might look at it similarly. Self-satisfied catcalls about that often say a lot about those who make them, more than what they are deriding.

For anyone wondering who this unknown woman was, there are of course still a great many barriers against finding more answers. Maybe more, even, than with one unknown Afghan girl -- and even the closer you get to this German one. But until BCC found these possibilities no one thought of even getting this far in tracing the film to its maker, or location of shooting. And if original research can be done on this forum, who would not congratulate its progress, even if it goes no further?

-- Alan

bil

Post by bil » 10 Feb 2009, 18:47

And thought the time is longer ago for the German girl,the girl in Afghanistan was tracked down and found,I think it was almost 20 years. ---bil

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot » 19 Feb 2009, 10:02

Hi, everyone, new guy here. I remember seeing this haunting footage some years ago, and it stuck in my mind. Look at her hands, particularly her right one in the first part of the footage. It appears to be badly swollen. Unless it's a flaw in the film, the knuckles on her left hand appear to be swollen also. Maybe she fought as hard as she could before being overwhelmed. She does appear to acknowledge the cameraman very briefly when it looks like she's shaking her head "No" at him from 0:16 - 0:20. Might those items she's holding be pictures? She's clasping them between her hands as if they are very precious to her and maybe all she has left. At the very end, it looks like she peels one of them off and is holding it up to her face.

FireFoxy
Banned

Post by FireFoxy » 19 Feb 2009, 10:25

Hi Guys.

I have check every ones links and it seems none of them are viewing film of a lost German girl.
Is this the footage you guys are talking about? If it is,she is one scary young German lady,she's spooke the crap out of me!or maybe it was the music that went with it made it scary!
There's one thing i want to mention,her hair looks very modern and very straight. Did girls wear there hair straight in the ww2 war years? I'm shore most women wore there hair in curls or buns,and there was no such things as *hair straightners* back in ww2 era.Maybe it's not real!

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q ... +1945&meta

First link of cause,please tell me if 's the right film you guys are talking about :wink:
V = VICTORY

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot » 19 Feb 2009, 11:24

That's the one I was viewing. I figure her hair is that way because of the assault she endured.

Return to “Women in the Reich”