Inga Arvad

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
dobee

Inga Arvad

Post by dobee » 27 Sep 2010 21:06

I am writing a story about Danish journalist Inga Arvad, a fascinating but rather elusive woman, who, for several years at least, was a "woman of the Reich." I am hoping to find some photos of her, or articles that might have been printed in German newspapers or magazines about her. I have found several photos in books and on the internet, but I'm not even sure if they are all the same woman.

In 1931, she was chosen Miss Denmark by the Berlingske Tidende newspaper, and competed for Denmark in the Miss Europe pageant that year in Paris.

In 1935 she traveled to Berlin, and after becoming friends with Emmy Sonnemann, she met Reichsmarschall Göring, attended their wedding and interviewed him and other German leaders for her newspaper. According to her memoir, quoted in a book about John F. Kennedy, with whom she also had a brief affair in 1941-42, she met Adolf Hitler on many occasions after interviewing him twice. Hitler in fact was so taken with her, that after the last interview, he extended to her an open invitation to visit him whenever she was in Berlin.

In 1936 she attended the Olympic Games in Berlin and sat in his private box, with other members of the press. A newspaper item from that time reported that Hitler had called her "A perfect example of Nordic beauty." Along with the newspaper item, a photo also was printed, that showed her and Hitler together, but that photo seems to have vanished.

In 1940 Inga emigrated to the US, and worked for a Washington DC newspaper for several years, and later married a Hollywood star of Western films, Tim McCoy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's a collage of pics that I have of her:

Helge

Re: Inga Arvad

Post by Helge » 27 Sep 2010 23:15

In 1936 she attended the Olympic Games in Berlin and sat in his private box, with other members of the press. A newspaper item from that time reported that Hitler had called her "A perfect example of Nordic beauty." Along with the newspaper item, a photo also was printed, that showed her and Hitler together, but that photo seems to have vanished.

Hi Dobee,

you try this photograph?

Helge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

propwash

Post by propwash » 01 Oct 2010 00:24

Hello dobee, May I suggest that you Google Image the name Ingar Arvad. There appears to be quite a lot of photos but the Kennedy family seem to dominate it .

rwhall

Post by rwhall » 02 Jan 2011 05:52

I would be curious to read your article. I live in the house owned by Inga Arvad and Tim McCoy in the 1950s, which is located in La Canada-Flintridge, California. I don't have much to add to the article, but could provide a photo of the house if it is of interest.

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 02 Jan 2011 06:59

Hi,

There is something strange in the photo with Ady, his face, uniform, belt. I am not expert for nothing, but.......

Arto

elijahcobb

Post by elijahcobb » 10 Jan 2011 02:56

Hi - I have the dude ranch that Tim McCoy built in Wyoming in 1922 with his first wife and have collected various bits of memorabilia of his life.
I have met the two sons of Tim and Inga.
Inga was never at the ranch.
If you are interested in images of the place I could provide them.
I have an original print of the picture of Tim and Inga where she is holding his gun belt.
I would also be interested in images of Inga - in her later years with Tim.
Elijah

dobee

Post by dobee » 11 Jan 2011 22:48

Thanks to everybody who responded to this thread.

Arto - if the photo has been altered, it's rather good, and whoever did it was kind enough at least to provide a photo of Miss Arvad that hasn't appeared anywhere else on the internet before.

rwhall -- I recently took a trip out to Arizona, and met an old cowboy in a bar who claimed that he grew up with one of Tim McCoy's sons. When I asked about McCoy's ranch in Nogales, he told me that it wasn't a ranch and gave me directions on how to find it. When I got there, I saw that it was owned by a realty company, and when I called to ask about it, the owner offered to let me go inside. I posted a picture on my blog at http://dobee.wordpress.com, and I have a couple more of the interior that I would like to post. I'll post the article there too, when it's done.

It was somewhat austere and saddened me a little when I saw it...

Elijah -- Thanks for the offer. I would love to see photos of The Eagle's Nest, which is what Col. McCoy called his ranch in Wyoming.

elijahcobb

Post by elijahcobb » 11 Jan 2011 23:47

dobee
I would be glad to send you images - I tried to put in the image of Inga with McCoy and gunbelt - but it would not open in this message window -
What is the best way to send you images.
Elijah ecobb@tritel.net

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 13 Jan 2011 20:58

Hi dobbe,

I agree. Sorry.

Arto

brick2

Post by brick2 » 26 Jan 2011 01:28

It would seem more likely she was at the winter olympics. AH did not appear to wear a white jacket at the summer olympics either.
Geoff waldons website has some photos of the entourage at the winter olympics.
photo source wordpress.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elijahcobb

Post by elijahcobb » 27 Jan 2011 05:08

/Users/elijah/Desktop/Inga and Tim.jpg

/Users/elijah/Desktop/dfpx05395.jpg

delia_A

Post by delia_A » 31 Mar 2011 20:48

Hello-
I've found this site through searching the life of Inga Arvad.

brick2's comment about Hitler's uniform started me in a new search...

You probably have a better eye for uniforms, but I found this article from Life.
May 22, 1939 Hitler "appeared for the first time in something new-- a white belted coat, single-breasted with patch pockets."

http://books.google.com/books?id=b0kEAA ... &q&f=false

Also, the woman in the photo is not Inga, but actress Olga Chekhova.

Elijah, I can't open your photos. :(
Have you seen this?
http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu:8180 ... r-Life,--1

I could only find the photo, no video online.

I have a feeling the actual photo of Arvad and Hitler is just a photo of Hitler's private box and she is just someone in the background.
Does anyone know if Inga's interview with A. Hitler was publish in the Danish newspaper Berlingske Tidende?

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 14 Apr 2011 04:36

Helge wrote:In 1936 she attended the Olympic Games in Berlin and sat in his private box, with other members of the press. A newspaper item from that time reported that Hitler had called her "A perfect example of Nordic beauty." Along with the newspaper item, a photo also was printed, that showed her and Hitler together, but that photo seems to have vanished.

Hi Dobee,

you try this photograph?

Helge
I actually don't think that's Inga...in the book Killing Hitler, by Roger Moorehouse, that woman is identified as either a Polish or Russian resistance member who was trying to get closer to Hitler for VERY different reasons. I could be wrong, however, if anyone would care to correct me.
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 14 Apr 2011 20:00

Inga is rather beautiful isn't she? The photo above of Hitler with the lady in the fur wrap has been identified in various books as being the actress Olga Tschechowa (sorry but I might have mispelled her name). I believe she was a German film star of Polish background. There was a book out a few years ago which purports that she was a Russian agent working for the Soviet NKVD.

Helge

Post by Helge » 14 Apr 2011 22:39

Thanks Duncan. You're absolutely right
she is Olga Tschechowa. Here is a picture of Adolf
Hitler. Of course, thanks to the
correction

Helge
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

Return to “Women in the Reich”