Ley's mistress

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Helge

Re: Ley's mistress

Post by Helge » 10 Nov 2020, 18:08

Update: the exact name is: Madeleine von Frese Farr born Wanderer.
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

JonnyU

Post by JonnyU » 13 Sep 2022, 04:33

Hi Helge

(Long time lurker, but new poster)

Thanks for posting all the great information on the Leys. I have gathered some new information, but still filling in some holes. Hopefully I can then present a comprehensive summary.

In the meantime, have you seen any photos of the interior of the Ley's haus? I saw the Life Magazine photos in another thread. I am going to try and track down any others that may be part of that collection.

Ponury

Post by Ponury » 13 Sep 2022, 22:05

What about his alcoholism? Because you quote that Hitler once gave him a million brands. For vodka?

JonnyU

Post by JonnyU » 14 Sep 2022, 02:09

Ponury wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 22:05
What about his alcoholism? Because you quote that Hitler once gave him a million brands. For vodka?
I read some US interrogation documents that said when RL got excited he would start to slur his words (a speech impediment of sorts). It sounded just like he was drunk. This was while he was confined for trial.

So in theory he may have been mistaken as being drunk more often than he actually was.

Helge

Post by Helge » 10 Oct 2022, 19:01

Gut Rottland as a convalescent home for mothers (around 1930)

The manor buildings after the conversion of 1936/41
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
1.jpg

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 11 Oct 2022, 01:23

JonnyU wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 02:09
Ponury wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 22:05
I read some US interrogation documents that said when RL got excited he would start to slur his words (a speech impediment of sorts). It sounded just like he was drunk. This was while he was confined for trial.

So in theory he may have been mistaken as being drunk more often than he actually was.
This is probably true. Robert Ley sustained a serious brain injury during WW1 which explains much of his erratic and impulsive behaviour in later years.

Helge

Post by Helge » 11 Oct 2022, 13:17

What remains of Inga Spilcker Ley burial.
Attachments
1a.jpg

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 12 Oct 2022, 11:44

That’s the only trace left. Some bricked steps and a piece of concrete with a rusted pipe stuck through it. Sad. Wonder why her surviving children didn’t take an interest in her mortal remains?

Helge

Post by Helge » 12 Oct 2022, 19:52

J. Duncan wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 11:44
That’s the only trace left. Some bricked steps and a piece of concrete with a rusted pipe stuck through it. Sad. Wonder why her surviving children didn’t take an interest in her mortal remains?
When the mother died, the son of Madeleine von Frese Farr Wanderer and Robert Ley behaved very differently. It is a question of sensitivity and love.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 13 Oct 2022, 00:31

The children are now seniors and probably addressing their own mortality if they
are still around?

Perhaps the twenty years has been expired and no one paid for continuance?

Or perhaps they are no longer even in the area? There are so many reasons
why graves are neglected and forgotten.

Helge

Post by Helge » 13 Oct 2022, 19:13

Annelie wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 00:31
The children are now seniors and probably addressing their own mortality if they
are still around?

Perhaps the twenty years has been expired and no one paid for continuance?

Or perhaps they are no longer even in the area? There are so many reasons
why graves are neglected and forgotten.
The tomb is a hundred meters from the main house: it is a private place. Here the cemetery rules do not apply. Here is the map. This map belongs to the project, commissioned by Rober Ley to the architect Petert Richenzhagen on February 15, 1943.
Attachments
AHNENHAIN-AUF-ROTTLAND-INGA-GRABFELD-PLAN.jpg

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 13 Oct 2022, 19:47

The german designation is "Ruhefrist":

Ruhefrist https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhefrist

Only important graves are not subject to a "rest period", these are the so-called "honorary graves".
If relatives no longer pay, the graves are leveled and reoccupied.

The descendants who died later usually don't care, nobody cares about death, honorary graves were and are a completely different story, see Dame Marlene Dietrich.

There was a place for our great-grandparents, my grandmother showed me the former grave without a gravestone.
I took care of it for years, the grave no longer exists today.

It is difficult to imagine one day seeing your beloved grandfather undermined, but it is what it is, such is life and death... :wink:

Hans
A great many of our friends found their final resting place at sea, outside the 3-mile zone.
Ashes in the sea, a few words, the end.
Good decision, if nobody cares, then you are in good hands at sea...
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 13 Oct 2022, 21:21

If you haven't visited "your" cemetery in decades, it's difficult to see the graves disappear.

Even resting in peace costs money here in Germany, and these are no small sums.
In a way, you walk over your own flattened history, which makes you thoughtful, very much so.

When you stand there, you realize that nothing remains, not even a tombstone, everything comes to an end one day.
I always put a small stone on the graves as a legacy, should one day not be able to return.

The distant people are always by my side, in all good and bad moments, that's religion for me, very simple, very normal, everything comes to an end at some point.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 15 Oct 2022, 16:36

Thanks for your contribution to this subject Hans. The map certainly is helpful. I appreciate your perspective.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 15 Oct 2022, 18:44

Hi J. Duncan,

It's a very sensitive topic, who likes to see their own ancestors finally disappear.
It wasn't like that before, but today everything is a question of money, which also stands for the church cemeteries.

My grandparents and my mother are buried in our family grave. In the near future this grave will also be leveled, when no one pays for the grave anymore.
Maybe the grave will be preserved, grandfather was an honorary citizen of the community, I don't know.

I know a wood carver and cabinet maker who has been working on the back of his own tombstone for decades.
The front is inscribed, only the date of his death is missing.
A very relaxed man, only the gods know where his stone will be one day, he doesn't know.

A good, own handling of the topic, such composure is unfortunately far from me.

Hans

Return to “Women in the Reich”