Wives of SS officers

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
jennifer garrity

Wives of SS officers

Post by jennifer garrity » 05 Apr 2003, 12:59

Does anybody know whether or not the SS officers on administrative duty (say, for instance, working in SS headquarters in larger cities and towns in occupied Poland) were allowed or encouraged to bring their wives and children along and house them there in the occupied city? It makes sense to me that they would have done this, but I don't want to assume...

Ljunggren

Post by Ljunggren » 06 Apr 2003, 07:29

In Gitta Serenys book about Rudof Höss it is mentioned that his family at some point lived close him in Poland.

Greyfinn

Post by Greyfinn » 06 Apr 2003, 10:29

In Gitta Serenys book about Rudof Höss it is mentioned that his family at some point lived close him in Poland
Rudolf Höss mentioned it in his diary

jennifer garrity

SS officers' wives

Post by jennifer garrity » 06 Apr 2003, 12:58

Ljunggren wrote:In Gitta Serenys book about Rudof Höss it is mentioned that his family at some point lived close him in Poland.
Thanks very much; I'll check out that source. With Hess being high up in the government, I'm wondering if he might have had special privileges that the average officer didn't - I'll look for Sereny's book as well as wait and see if any more replies come in.

Ljunggren

Post by Ljunggren » 07 Apr 2003, 16:32

Now, Hess and Höss were two different persons. Hess was the deputy fuhrer of the NSDAP and, to my knowledge , not a member of the SS.
Höss, on the other hand, was the commandant of the Auschwitz KL and as such a member of the Allgemeinige SS.

jennifer garrity

Post by jennifer garrity » 07 Apr 2003, 18:36

Ljunggren wrote:Now, Hess and Höss were two different persons. Hess was the deputy fuhrer of the NSDAP and, to my knowledge , not a member of the SS.
Höss, on the other hand, was the commandant of the Auschwitz KL and as such a member of the Allgemeinige SS.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I'll definitely have to look for that biography.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 07 Apr 2003, 18:36

hello Ljunggren,

Rudolf Hess has a Honorary rank in the SS. I think he was Gruppenführer Ad Honorem, I remember I saw his name in a Dienstalterliste, I can`t remember which...let me see in home tonight.

Rudolf Franz Ferdinad Höss (or Hoess) was one of the AlterKämpfer since 1922, was closed friend of Martin Bormann

Ljunggren

Post by Ljunggren » 08 Apr 2003, 18:03

Helly Angel wrote:hello Ljunggren,

Rudolf Hess has a Honorary rank in the SS. I think he was Gruppenführer Ad Honorem, I remember I saw his name in a Dienstalterliste, I can`t remember which...let me see in home tonight.
Thank you for your input. Now that you mention it, I believe that I´ve seen som photo of him in a SS uniform.

Ljunggren

Post by Ljunggren » 08 Apr 2003, 18:07

Did some research to freshen up my memory and came up with this:

"Hess served for several years as Hitler's personal secretary in spite of having no official rank in the Nazi Party. In 1932, Hitler appointed him Chairman of the Central Political Commission of the Nazi Party and SS General as a reward for his loyal service. On April 21, 1933, he was made Deputy Führer, a figurehead position with mostly ceremonial duties. Hess was a shy, insecure man who displayed near religious devotion, fanatical loyalty and absolute blind obedience to Hitler. "

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 09 Apr 2003, 01:41

In the Dienstaltersliste der Schuzstaffel 1934 and 1935, Rudolf Hess appear like the number 2 in the list just below Himmler and above the SS-Obergruppenführer list, without number in the SS, Nazi Party number 16, Reichsminister, Reichsleiter, Mitglied des Reichstags, Blutorder Recipient and SS Ring recipient.

All the best,

Gott

Post by Gott » 09 Apr 2003, 12:08

If one is a honourary member of the SS, he can not dictate anything within the organization. It is a name only.

John W

Post by John W » 09 Apr 2003, 18:45

Ljunggren wrote:Now, Hess and Höss were two different persons. Hess was the deputy fuhrer of the NSDAP and, to my knowledge , not a member of the SS.
8O 8O 8O Thank you very much! I thought both were the same and that some English translations of the name eliminated the umlaut!

Return to “Women in the Reich”