Himmler's mistress

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Helge

Re: Himmler's mistress

Post by Helge » 03 Oct 2010, 03:03

.........one aspect of history which is often overlooked is the postwar position of those who had an association with the Nazi regime. Ernst's widow, Paula, returned to her home town where many treated her disdain. After several applications she was allowed to open a millinery shop and managed to get by. Himmler's mistress gradually withdrew from the outside world, dying in 1997. His eldest daughter Gudrun, continued to believe in Nazi ideology and constantly protested at the image painted of her father, whom she idolised. Gebhard distanced himself from his brother's ideological views presenting him as as a soft hearted and sensitive person who had put the nation's interests before his own. Gebhard "portrayed his own career during the Nazi period as if it had nothing to do with the system." He almost convinced himself things happened differently than the record shows. Katrin Himmler believes this state of denial still exists in many German families.........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Himmler-Brother ... 0230529070

The Course of German History, 14 July 2010
By Neutral "Phil" (UK)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-r ... centReview
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 14 Oct 2010, 20:41

.........one aspect of history which is often overlooked is the postwar position of those who had an association with the Nazi regime.
Your quite right about postwar positions. I find them most interesting and somehow completes the whole picture
of people and the times.

Helge

Post by Helge » 16 Oct 2010, 09:01

Hello Annelie,
in this post and we look what happened to Hedwig Potthast and her children. It seems difficult to know the truth but often neglect to read things we all already read. Under one thing that makes us understand a lot and makes everything simple and clear.

Helge

THE TIMES: FOREIGN NEWS
SATURDAY, 18 APRIL 1998
http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/ (post Axis History 8547)

Deborah Collcutt reports from Frankfurt on the woman who is a living link with Nazi history

...... They are comfortably off and now Frau Burwitz no longer works, she devotes all her time when she is not sewing or cooking for her children, to her father's extended family......

Helge

Helge

Post by Helge » 14 Nov 2010, 23:23

In this photograph of 29 January 1937 we know that women are Lina Heydrich and secretary of Heinrich Himmler including Sigurd Hinrichsen. My focus is the last woman on the right which is very similar to that of photography Doe No. 2 is with Gerda Bormann and one of his sons in affectionate behavior with the child. We know of the close friendship between Gerda Bormann and Hedwig Potthast. The question is whether the woman in photo # 2 is the same as photo # 1
Attachments
sigurd_29-1-1937.jpg
sigurd_29-1-1937.jpg (75.69 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
untitled.jpg
Copyright Harry von Gebhardt
untitled.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 10585 times

rcentury

Post by rcentury » 19 Nov 2010, 10:46

just wondering where Helge got the secret documents from (that she posted on 18th June 2010)? Are they from an archive and if so, which one.
I would also like to know (if anyone knows) about the working relationship between Potthast and Himmler and whether it changed once they began their affair.
Thanks

Helge

Post by Helge » 19 Nov 2010, 21:33

Hello rcentury,

For secret documents: http://library2.lawschool.cornell.edu/d ... 283&query=

For Potthast: Heinrich and Margarete Himmler separated in 1940 without seeking divorce. At that time Himmler became friendly with a secretary, Hedwig Potthast, who left her job in 1941 and became his mistress.

Best regards
Helge

Helge

Post by Helge » 20 Nov 2010, 23:43

Helge wrote:In this photograph of 29 January 1937 we know that women are Lina Heydrich and secretary of Heinrich Himmler including Sigurd Hinrichsen. My focus is the last woman on the right which is very similar to that of photography Doe No. 2 is with Gerda Bormann and one of his sons in affectionate behavior with the child. We know of the close friendship between Gerda Bormann and Hedwig Potthast. The question is whether the woman in photo # 2 is the same as photo # 1
Photograph N.2 Dezember 1937 - 9. Januar 1938 - Fotograf: Heinrich Hoffmann - Obersalzberg (Berchtesgaden)
The child is Heinrich Hugo Bormann (born 13 June 1936: named after his godfather Heinrich Himmler)

Photograph N.1 : the woman next Richard Pruchtnow is the wife Dickert Mathilde Marie (born July 5, 1908 in Alsdorf). They have two sons: Ute Pruchtnow and Eike Pruchtnow
http://www.dickert-stammbaum.de/Kartei/ab155.htm

Helge

Post by Helge » 11 Dec 2010, 13:27

Italian newspaper: il Fatto 28.11.2010
Journalist : Marco Dolcetta

Interview with Wulf Dieter Burwitz husband of Gudrun Himmler Burwitz

.......Her husband, Wulf Dieter, added: "I married Gudrun because I'm in love with her, but only with the passing of time because at first I was in love with the figure of his father, herself, and even then when I met the his sister Irma Potthast, who looks like her as a drop of water, while Himmler's daughter and his secretary, asking me - to me their all the details of daily life of Himmler, whom I know by heart. "...........

http://spogli.blogspot.com/2010_11_28_archive.html

My question: Irma Pottahst is Nanette Dorothea Potthast? I think it is

Helge

A more modern picture of Gudrun
Attachments
Gudrun Himmler.jpg
Gudrun Himmler.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 10279 times

martyd7188

Post by martyd7188 » 18 Dec 2010, 19:52

I have been doing research on Hedwig Potthast for a school project. Could you guys recommend a few articles or even books that would shed some light on her? It is not easy to find the right resources when you need them. Thanks in advance.
Marty D.

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 16 Feb 2011, 11:28

Hi there ,
just couple pics of Schneewinkellehen Haus in Schönau from my summer "expedition" to Berchtesgaden.
Any period photos or some informations about post war destiny?

Pavel
Attachments
P8200045.JPG
P8200045.JPG (121.49 KiB) Viewed 9973 times
P8200044.JPG
P8200044.JPG (124.56 KiB) Viewed 9973 times

Oberhessin

Post by Oberhessin » 16 Feb 2011, 12:48

martyd7188 wrote:I have been doing research on Hedwig Potthast for a school project. Could you guys recommend a few articles or even books that would shed some light on her? It is not easy to find the right resources when you need them. Thanks in advance.
There are some quite new details on Hedwig Potthast in the book of Dorothee Schmitz-Kösters about Eleonore von Brüning, Oswald Pohl and the Lebensborn. Youz should DSK,maybe she can give you some more details on the relationship of these two specials widows after 1945.

Helge

Post by Helge » 16 Mar 2011, 00:42

Hi Orberhessin,
you know what you wrote. Read the post regarding Eleonore Holtz.

Helge

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Mar 2011, 15:16

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 503184.ece

This is quite an read. It mentions Potthast and Bormann's visit.

Helge

Post by Helge » 17 May 2011, 07:45

Heimatschuss wrote:Hello Helge,

I've found the attached photo of Baroness op ten Oort and Florentine Rost van Tonningen. Unfortunately it's overexposed and may require vertical stretching. I read somewhere that Juul op ten Noort had the figure of a mannequin and the person(s) we have here look(s) a bit short-legged and chubby.

Source: http://www.beeldbankwo2.nl/index.jsp Image No. 34249 (modified)

Best regards
Torsten
Hello Torsten,

Another photo Julia op ten Noort :different from the first but at the same place
http://www.denhaagcentraal.net/550/imag ... HC_051.pdf

Helge
Attachments
Julia op ten Noort.jpg
Julia op ten Noort.jpg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 9600 times

Helge

Post by Helge » 13 Jun 2011, 08:10

A larger picture of that
published in http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=30

SS-Obergruppenführer Hanns Rauter, Sepp Dietrich, Heinrich Himmler, Gottlob Berger, Schinder Abt. Kübler und der "Voorman" der SS holländischen Henk Feldmeijer

The woman was identified by Heimatschuss and Helge: is Elfriede Hiess (post http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=30). This woman is often identified as Hedwig Potthast but this thing is false because as rightly says Torsten (Heimatschuss) she could not be as Himmler's mistress in an official photograph.

Helge
Attachments
athene-5wl3k3xejiggqw8igvo_layout.jpg

Return to “Women in the Reich”