Eva Braun in a postcard? Original?

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Helly Angel

Eva Braun in a postcard? Original?

Post by Helly Angel » 06 Jul 2020, 19:08

In a very serious and well know store in Germany are sailing a postcard with AH, Heinrich Hoffmann, Wilhelm Brückner (back to the camera), another guy (maybe Otto Dietrich) and two women and they says one of them is Eva Braun... is an original postcard from III Reich times... What do you think?
Attachments
AK-Reichskanzler-Adolf-Hitler-mit-Eva-Braaun-vor-der-Kulisse-von-Watzmann-und-Koenigssee.jpg
AK-Reichskanzler-Adolf-Hitler-mit-Eva-Braaun-vor-der-Kulisse-von-Watzmann-und-Koenigssee.jpg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 5539 times

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Eva Braun in a postcard? Original?

Post by Hans1906 » 06 Jul 2020, 19:36

Helly,

to me, this a printing from one of the many albums and brochures printed by Heinrich Hoffmann.
Hoffmann earned a lot of money with his so-called "private" photos, we all know that.

We talked about another photo with an imprint on the back, now there is another so called "photo".
Sorry, to me, this is a printing from one of the many Hoffmann publications, tens of thousands of times reproduced.

Hans1906

P.S. The so called "Militaria Dealers", not only here in germany, they try to make a fortune out of any photo, they can get their
hands on, most of the stuff is nothing, the rare photos still come from privately owned origin, and these photos are rare.
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 06 Jul 2020, 19:49

Thank you Hans for your lines. Look the back side... TBH I never had seen this picture, even she look likes but her hair is too much dark... I have strong doubts about a Postcard from the times of the Reich with Eva.
Attachments
back-side-AK-Reichskanzler-Adolf-Hitler-mit-Eva-Braaun-vor-der-Kulisse-von-Watzmann-und-Koenigssee.jpg
back-side-AK-Reichskanzler-Adolf-Hitler-mit-Eva-Braaun-vor-der-Kulisse-von-Watzmann-und-Koenigssee.jpg (20.1 KiB) Viewed 5506 times

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 06 Jul 2020, 20:09

Helly,

someone, probably a german postcard dealer wrote 68,- (Probably former Deutsche Mark) on the backside,
a somewhat asking price.

Everything about "Eva Braun" may be expensive, this card , without knowing the origin, the "originality",
I would value the card for less than 5,- Euro, if at all.

Sorry

Hans1906

P.S. I collect B/W postcards from Dame "Brigitte Bardot" , the very early stuff from the 1950s, the 1960s.
Some of the cards very rare stuff, normally I find the postcards on german and french flea markets, less than 30,- Euro per card... 8-)

A few of these cards were sold on auctions for more than 500,- Euro, or more, who cares about Eva Braun anymore?
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 07 Jul 2020, 07:05

Thank you Hans!! You are right!

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 07 Jul 2020, 22:20

My impression was that the existence of Eva Braun was virtually unknown outside Hitler's personal circle.

It therefore seems highly unlikely that she would be name checked on a post card at the time.

Cheers,

Sid.

Aditeppichfresser

Post by Aditeppichfresser » 08 Jul 2020, 02:21

hi! Eva Braun is not pictured here, she wouldn't have been pictured in any public photographs, or mentioned. The fact that Hitler even kept her from meeting the Göring's says a lot. Cool print none the less!

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 08 Jul 2020, 15:38

Now that's something I wasn't aware of: "...Hitler even kept [EB] from meeting the Goerings...!" The Goerings' house on the Obersalzberg was literally across the street from the Berghof and EB spent much time at the Berghof, even when Hitler was absent, so I wonder how Hitler managed this? What is the source of this information?

Cheers,

Br. James

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 08 Jul 2020, 18:00

This is an interesting postcard. It is not a Hoffmann postcard - it was published by Hans Huber, who did a lot of postcards of the Berchtesgaden area (Huber had a local office as well as one in Munich). Let me say what can be said for sure, before I speculate on the woman's identification. This is an early 1930s view - likely 1933 or 1934 - due to the use of the title "Unser Reichskanzler." This title was popularly used right after Hitler became Chancellor in 1933. The photo was taken at the Hochlenzer guesthouse on the Obersalzberg. This was a favorite destination for Hitler's daily walks when he was living in Haus Wachenfeld, before security concerns put an end to his long rambles in the area. The woman beside Hoffmann was his wife Erna, and I agree with Helly that the man on the other side of Hoffmann certainly looks like Otto Dietrich, especially in this other view taken at the same time (sorry, I have no better copy of this, and don't know the source).
hochlenzer_ah.jpg
hochlenzer_ah.jpg (61.35 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Note that this photo indicates that the Huber photo may have been a composite view, with the subjects superimposed on the background view of Watzmann and the valley, which view is certainly seen from right there anyway.

My opinion is that the woman in question could be Eva Braun. She just isn't seen in enough detail in either of these photos for me to say for sure. Even though she was kept secret from the public, she did travel rather openly with Hitler, as a member of the entourage of secretaries and support staff. I agree that it would be unusual to see her in a public photo sitting next to Hitler - she was cropped out of such photos that Hoffmann published - but again, this was not a Hoffmann photo. We can be sure that Huber (or his photographer) did not know who EB was ... he probably didn't know who Erna Hoffmann was either. So a photographer not from Hoffmann's company might have caught a candid shot of AH and EB together, and published it, having no idea who she was.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Jul 2020, 12:52

Good afternoon,

and thanks to Geoff Walden, for solving another riddle...

With the photographs from the circle of the photographer Heinrich Hoffmann, one has to deal as a collector of old photographs, this is not to be missed.

And again, and again photos from the circle of Hoffmann and his former employees will appear, probably for many years to come...

Strange, thinking about the "Tausendjährige Reich".

Whatever this is good for.

Hans1906

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 08 Jul 2023, 03:03

In the end I was able to buy a copy of this postcard, it is used and postmarked on May 9, unfortunately I cannot see the year. Undoubtedly We can see Hitler, Eva Braun, back to the camera Wilhelm Bruckner (who left Hitler's inner circle in 1940), Sophie Stork, Heinrich Hofmann and from the angle in another photo it can be estimated that the man from behind is Otto Dietrich. I think this picture was taken in 1935.

There is another photo taken in February 1936, in the middle of the Olympics where Eva appears sitting behind Hitler in a public act and was published in the national press. I'll try to find a copy.

Best regards,
Attachments
2023-07-07.png
2023-07-07_200405.jpg
Documento_2023-07-07_200324.jpg

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 08 Jul 2023, 03:26

During the Olympics in February 1936. Eva sitting behind Gauleiter Adolf Wagner and Otto Dietrich.
Attachments
Eva AH Olimpiadas Feb 1936.jpg
Eva AH Olimpiadas Feb 1936.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 1324 times

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 17 Jul 2023, 18:19

My guess is that the girl in question is Henrietta Hoffmann , not Eva Braun.
Attachments
IMG_4690.jpeg
IMG_4690.jpeg (9.55 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

Return to “Women in the Reich”