Memories of Karl Hermann Frank's daughter

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Helge

Memories of Karl Hermann Frank's daughter

Post by Helge » 06 Oct 2020 06:43

She was beautiful and educated. Her father was one of the richest industrialists in Czechoslovakia at the time. She was admired by many men. Nevertheless, the executioner of the Czech nation, Karl Hermann Frank, became her chosen one. She paid a terrible price for it. And their children also paid a terrible price for it. For the first time in her life, KH Frank's daughter gave us a completely unique and unique testimony.

Person
--------------------
This morning, I took over Frank on behalf of our government. I hand over Karel Hermann Frank to Czechoslovak justice ...

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
It's Tuesday, August 7, 1945. He returns to Prague, this time as a prisoner, once the most powerful man in the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, Karl Hermann Frank. Twelve days later, he writes a letter in his cell, addressed to his wife. The man, who until recently had co-decided on the mass executions, watched the deportation of Jews with a cold face and the fate of the inhabitants of Lidice or Ležáky, is now full of excruciating uncertainty. He is afraid for his wife, he is afraid for his children.

Editor
--------------------
"After endless hours, days and weeks of complete insecurity and the fate of all of you, after torturous self-blame, I was completely at an end with nerves, and I had perpetually ugly compulsions that I thought I could not endure this state for a single day."

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
Frank's letter written in pencil on plain paper will never be delivered, and he will not know what happened to his children and his beautiful wife Carola until his execution on May 22, 1946. Their other destinies are not known in our country either. Let's try to reveal this secret. Our search begins in Germany. Somewhere here in this residential area, one of the married daughters of Karel Hermann Frank and Dr. Carola Frank should live. How does he remember his parents after years? After the first and certainly surprising meeting for her, KH Frank's daughter proposes a meeting in a half-empty café. I'm waiting for her and according to the previous agreement, I won't be shooting her face with a camera. I promised not to reveal her identity. He wants to authorize everything he tells me later. She also admitted that she was still shocked that I had discovered her. However, she is most interested in the photo I brought her.

Daughter of KH Frank
--------------------
I see this photo for the first time. She may be my mother, but she has a completely different expression that I've never seen in her. My mother told us about the knocking of the carpet. She recalled that she had been brought to court with a former member of the Czech protectorate government and had been ordered to knock on carpets. And the two agreed to pretend to play tennis. So they knocked on the carpets, but in spirit they played tennis against each other.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
Before the war, tennis was part of the entertainment of the then cream and Carola Franková, then still Blašková, daughter of the president of the Most Coal Company, among the cream in the then It undoubtedly belonged to the city of thirty thousand, which we can verify, for example, in the local state regional archive.

Mgr. Martin MYŠIČKA, State District Archive Most
---------------------
It is from the 1921 census.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
---------- ----------
And that's where they smelled, right?

---------------------
Yes, so ...

Stanislav MOTL, editor
------------- -------
Doctor Blašek.

--------------------
Doctor Blašek, descriptive number ...

Stanislav MOTL, editor
----------- ---------
Goren Strasse.
the former Goren Strasse, once the most luxurious residential area of ​​the old Bridge. And here also stood the villa of the doctor of rights and engineer Karel Blašek. He lived here with his wife Anne-Louisa, and their two children were also born here. Older Hans and younger Carola. When Carole Blašková was seventeen, her father died. At that time, she was studying at a German vocational high school in Most. And as the class reports reveal, she was a premium.
She has almost only ones everywhere.

--------------------
For the whole, for the whole four years, no. So just from chemistry, from chemistry she had two, but differently, otherwise it seems that ...

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
And these are graduations ? What is it?

---------------------
Yes, this is an oral exam, so she had, from German she had, she had Schüller, from French she graduated, Voltaira she had a question and also actually very good, very good, very good.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
Former Medical Faculty of the German University in Prague. This building also remembers the young student Carola Blašková. She studied here from 1932 to 1939. She successfully passed three (incomprehensible) and graduated on June 10, 1939. At that time, she was already having a passionate love affair. Her chosen one was a certain Karl Hermann Frank. A doctor from the General University Hospital on Charles Square in Prague, where she is considered a very professional internist and a pleasant, rather apolitical woman, Carola Blašková marries Karel Hermann Frank, who is fifteen years older and once divorced, on April 14, 1940. At that time Frank was Secretary of State of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia and / incomprehensible / SS. At that time, as the Protectorate leader of the Hitler Youth Siegfried Zoglman (incomprehensible) also met, as he admitted in 2000,

Siegfried ZOGLMAN
--------------------
What is it?

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
This is Mr. Frank. Well, that's Frank.

Siegfried ZOGLMAN
--------------------
And this is me. This is clear unequivocally. It must have been during a sports or similar competition, probably in Strahov. That's interesting, that's interesting. But let me tell you, he was a very brutal policeman.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
Karl Hermann Frank lives with his wife in a villa in Prague-Bubeneč. They have a daughter, then a son and another daughter. Frank is at the height of his power and is brutally liquidating any attempts at resistance. He still approves death sentences at the end of the war. Agony is approaching. While the Nazi leaders are now sending their families to safety, Frank's wife, who has never shown herself as a zealous Nazi, stays with her children until the last moment. Why? Carola Frank later justified this to her daughter.

KH Frank's daughter
--------------------
It's a matter of her love and honor. She decided to stay with him until the last moment and possibly until his death. She never thought she should leave him. She wanted to be with her husband until the last minute and help him.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
Karl Hermann Frank left Prague in the early morning hours of May 9, 1945. He drove an armored Mercedes with bulletproof glass. His wife, three children, and a nanny drove in another car. A convoy of cars passed through Beroun and Holoubkov all the way to Rokycany.

Ing. Ladislav MAYER, witness
--------------------
In these places, about a little further behind you, the vehicle of the KH Frank was stopped and the roads here were on this side. The Americans took him to the square. He had to get out of the square, out of the square, go to the town hall and from there the Americans took him according to the information I have, to the barracks and from the barracks to Ejpovice, where they were to interrogate him in the U Nitků inn and there was written some protocol. in which they speak there.

Jiří VONÁSEK, witness
--------------------
Here I have one again, what I found out ...

Stanislav MOTL, editor
-------- ------------
That's his column, right?

Jiří VONÁSEK, witness
--------------------
This is his column. Well, this is the arrival in the square when he was brought there.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
That family was here with him?

Ing. Ladislav MAYER, witness
--------------------
Unfortunately ... Well, it is claimed that she came here with him to Rokycany. What happened to that family ...

person
--------------------
But in another car like it was in the other car just behind him.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
So they let them go, so I think the family.

Person
--------------------
Yeah, but then they put them in a camp somewhere.

daughter of KH Frank
--------------------
We were separated in the town of Stod. This is somewhere near Pilsen. I was sick and my mother had to go to a nearby school to get milk for me. They arrested her there and separated us from her there as well. She was taken to prison and other refugees and I then went on to Germany separately. I was separated not only from my mother, but also from both siblings.

Lubomír JUNGBAUER, Deputy Mayor of Stod
--------------------
So here I can show you the original, which I found here in the archive by Ondřej Jindřich, where the events of May 45 in our city are described. It says that American soldiers brought about seventy women with children, who were placed here behind the town hall, and there during the inspection of the documents, they found out that there was a lady who did not want to sign up for what was written in her ... then I don't know if it was an identity card or what it was.

Věra KYDLIČKOVÁ, daughter of O. Jindřich
--------------------
The man who worked there as an administrator came to tell his father.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
But it was German, wasn't it?

Věra KYDLIČKOVÁ, daughter of O. Jindřich
--------------------
He was German, but so solid. Like he said, look, I promised to tell you everything, to tell you everything. There is a person who does not want to be betrayed. Well, that's how they found out, and it turned out it was Frank.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
Former poorhouse and it was here that Dr. Carola Frank was arrested. Ondřej Jindřich wrote about it: "The person was cruelly rude. She denied that she was the wife of KH Frank. The gentlemen also took her with them to Pilsen. They informed me orally that after arriving in Pilsen they confronted one driver, who immediately "It was conceived here that she was KH Frank's wife. She had three small children who remained in the Stoda in that poorhouse at the time. I know nothing more about dealing with this person." Some Czech news informed about the arrest of Carola Franková, which the Americans issued to the Czech authorities. In the book of detainees of the Prague Police Headquarters, we discover that Carola Franková was brought to Bartolomějská No. 4 on May 17, 1945, at one o'clock after midnight. The mentioned photo was taken a day later in the local yard. However, after only two days, Carola Frank is transferred from pre-trial detention elsewhere. Where? In 1945, senior officers of the Soviet army were accommodated in this house in Kampa, Prague. Prominent prisoners of the time worked here as housekeepers. For example, Carola Franková, but also Czech actress Lída Baarová. Lída Baarová, the former mistress of Joseph Goebbels, said that Carola Frank was later taken to the Soviet Union by order of a Russian general. She learned about the execution of her husband in the KGB prison in Ljubljana. She spent the next nine years in the middle of the steppe in a prison camp in Kazakhstan. All this time she did not know at all about the fate of her children, and then he discovered it, as the Bundestag member and the friend, as he told us, of some influential Soviet politicians, Siegfried Zoglman, told us in 2000. He then arranged for her return. After arriving in the Federal Republic of Germany, Carola Frank began looking for her three children. She eventually succeeded. She discovered her eldest daughter in the then German Democratic Republic - Leipzig, she found her second daughter in Frankfurt am Main and finally found her son in Gottingen.

Daughter of KH Frank
--------------------
It's hard to describe. Suddenly she was here for me and I was surprised and glad that suddenly I had such a perfect, beautiful, nice and gentle mother. She was forty when she returned, but she looked at least ten years older, as seen in the photo.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
This film tells about what the prison did to her mother. Carola Frank from 1940 and the same woman after returning from the Soviet Union in 1954. Dr. Carola Frank began her new medical career at one of the largest university clinics in Germany. She later set up a private surgery. She never married. When a man invited her to dance, she refused. It is said that she still remembered her husband, the man who entered our subconscious as an executioner of the Czech nation. She also lived to see November 1989. She also looked to her native Bohemia.

Daughter of KH Frank
--------------------
She was fundamentally against it. She refused. And when I went there in the early 1990s, she gave me the address and a description of how to get to our house. It is a villa in a chestnut alley, it still stands today and in front of it is such a smaller guard house.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
As KH Frank's daughter said during our meeting in the café, her mother never talked about post-war Prague. As if it were a dark period for her. Surprisingly, she quite fondly remembered ordinary Russians and life in Kazakhstan. By the way, in 2004, Russian officials officially apologized for her imprisonment.

Daughter of KH Frank
--------------------
Interestingly, she was never bitter. She took her destiny as a fateful thing. There was also pride in that. In a way, she considered what she had experienced to be an honor. What she experienced in the camp actually elevated her and also enriched her. She used to be a young and spoiled woman who enjoyed her position, but then she got into a situation where she was at the bottom, but she managed it all.

Stanislav MOTL, editor
--------------------
Dr. Carola Frank is resting in this grave. He lies here together with his mother Anna-Louisa, and the fact that their children are still worshiped by their father is also evidenced by this inscription Zum gedenkem and Karl Hermann Frank - we remember Karel Hermann Frank. Later, KH Frank's daughter wrote me an explanation: "The inscription on the grave was my mother's last will and I had to comply."

Source: http://www.starysmichov.cz/
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

Annelie

Re: Memories of Karl Hermann Frank's daughter

Post by Annelie » 06 Oct 2020 13:49

Thank you Helge.

Interesting, from what I could understand.
These translators are sometimes not the best but I got the gist of it.

Its still reinforces that some what normal people can compartmentalize what they did
during the war to be involved in the atrocities . Sad, that children have to pay the price.

Helge

Post by Helge » 06 Oct 2020 18:10

Annelie wrote:
06 Oct 2020 13:49
Thank you Helge.

Interesting, from what I could understand.
These translators are sometimes not the best but I got the gist of it.

Its still reinforces that some what normal people can compartmentalize what they did
during the war to be involved in the atrocities . Sad, that children have to pay the price.
This testimony is important to have the certainty of imprisonment, medical qualification, the search for children and to deny the rumors of her involvement as a Soviet spy, love for her husband. With this testimony we have some certainties that cannot be denied.

This is the photograph referred to in the interview.

Bye Annelie.

Helge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 06 Oct 2020 18:36

Helge

You are absolutely correct.
Thank you.

Helge

Post by Helge » 15 Oct 2020 20:57

I think this Holle Frank is Holle-Sigrid Frank (born 8 March 1944 in Prag) daughter of Karl Hermann Frank and Karola Blaschek.

http://www.holle-frank.de/vita.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 16 Oct 2020 11:39

Helge, with all respect, but do you think, it is a good idea, to put these photos of a still living person
here in a public forum like AHF ?

I do not like it at all, such a thing is completely superfluous, such a thing is simply not done.

Hans1906
„Im Leben gibt’s die Bösen und die Guten. Und die dazwischen, das sind die Bagaluten.“

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Oct 2020 16:48

Hans,

I do believe Helge is not doing anything that would be considered
unusual.

After all the children of Nazi's wrote their own books which included their photos
and their experience and thoughts.

I know privacy in Germany is much different that in North America but I do find
its all related with the topics at this forum and the photos also add.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 16 Oct 2020 18:00

Dear Annelie,

Helge wrote from Finland, that gives his personal profile, good.

Nobody of us here would like to see current photos from the own family, this includes photos of children and grandchildren of war criminals.
I understand the general curiosity for such photos, but it is simply not appropriate to post these pictures in a publicly accessible forum.

As always, this is just my very personal opinion, in the USA and elsewhere people may think quite differently.
And please allow me to express my opinion, I would not like to write more on this subject.

Respectfully

Hans1906
„Im Leben gibt’s die Bösen und die Guten. Und die dazwischen, das sind die Bagaluten.“

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Oct 2020 18:17

Hans,

Different opinions are always welcomed. LOL

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 16 Oct 2020 18:44

Annelie, you know the typical saying already:

"Opinions are like ********, everybody has one!" :lol:

Hans1906

Helge

Post by Helge » 24 Aug 2022 12:27

Return to “Women in the Reich”