Gerdy Troost

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
DavidFrankenberg

Gerdy Troost

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 16 Jan 2021, 03:20

Hi,

the wife of the famous architect Paul Ludwig Troost. She became a close friend of Adolf Hitler. They shared the same taste in decoration and design. He asked for her to arrange the inside of the Berghof. She met him regularly in the Reichskanzlei or in the Berghof. She was one of the most frequent visitor. They surely talked a lot about art and achitecture. He made her a professor and high ranking personality in the field of art.

Her husband died in 1934, he was pretty old but she was still young. At the end of the war she was only in her 40's. What did she become ? what did she do for a living ? Hitler gave him a lot of honor and money : he gave her 100.000 RM one time. It was a lot of money.

She lived very long. She died in 2004, almost centenary. She should have a lot to tell about Hitler since she saw him many times.
I wonder if she let interviews or writings about that ? It would be very interesting for sure.

Where did she come from ? Gerdy Troost sounds like American (funny) and her family name like hollandese.

She is there accompanying Hitler and Goebbels during a visit in a museum :
Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1992-0410-546,_München,_Besichtigung_Haus_der_Deutschen_Kunst.jpg
Thanks for info :milsmile:

Annelie

Re: Gerdy Troost

Post by Annelie » 16 Jan 2021, 03:32

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 16 Jan 2021, 13:58

Through all the books I have read about Hitler and the IIIrd Reich I have never heard of an historian interviewing her despite his close relationship with Hitler.
But Irving must have interviewed her. Here is what Irving says in Hitler's war 1977 p.100 :
the only other woman whose company he valued was Gerti Troost, the young widow of the architect Professor Ludwig Troost. He took her under his wing, appointed her a professor, and consulted her on colour schemes for the fine new buildings rising in Germany. He had first met her husband at Frau Bruckmann’s salon in , and that same day he told the architect, ‘When I come to power, you will be my architect. I have great plans in mind and I believe you are the only one who can carry them out for me.’
Gerti instead of Gerdy reveals how underrated she was... even by David Irving !

p.153 :
A sturdy suite of chairs byTroost had replaced the fragile Louis XIV furniture after a misfor- tune with a bulky Indian maharaja four years before.
The only other time he mentioned her is at the end of the year of 1942 p.554 :
Despite his Stalingrad worries, Hitler telephoned Frau Troost in person from East Prussia to congratulate her on the solid gold cassette she had designed for Göring’s warrant as Reichsmarschall – correctly speculating that this female arbiter legendarium would noise his evident well-being abroad. But his misgivings in fact were multiplying.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Jan 2021, 16:33

Bad Reichenhall and Berchtesgaden are not so very
large and I would think there are people who knew her and
were friends that would have information on Gerdy Troost.
Given the ages perhaps now the info is with the children of her friends?

Perhaps Phillip Kerr

(Troost is an important and sympathetic character in Philip Kerr's historical thriller Prussian Blue, set in 1939 and part of Kerr's Bernie Gunther series.)
would have more info on her. At least what she did after the war?

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 16 Jan 2021, 22:09

I would encourage anyone interested in both Gerdy and Paul Troost to read "Hitler at Home," by Despina Stratigakos, (Yale University Press, 2015). There is much biographical information on both individuals to be found there, and also on their architectural and interior design firm, Atelier Troost – Troost Studio. Enjoy!

Br. James

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 17 Jan 2021, 01:34

Thanks for the reference James. I wonder if she found some interviews or testimonies of Gerdy.

CPB

Post by CPB » 12 Aug 2021, 14:47

I believe the Gerdy Troost Archive – which is held at the Bavarian State Library [or Archive] - was due to be 'released' in 2019 for any and all to see.

That's something I would really love to go through and photograph...

Botofogo597

Post by Botofogo597 » 11 Dec 2021, 00:44

Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics by Frederic Spotts. Thesis: Hitler was an artist first before being a dictator second. Troost looms large inside.

Return to “Women in the Reich”