Divorce during the Third Reich

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
marcusio

Divorce during the Third Reich

Post by marcusio » 11 Jul 2003, 23:57

I am hoping that someone may be able to help. I am a researcher working for Universal Films on a movie that will revolve around the last voyage of the Hindenburg, and I need to find accurate historical information about the Third Reich.

I have several areas I am investigating, one of which is the divorce laws of the Third Reich: what were these and when were they enacted?

I would be really grateful for any tips or information that you may be able to provide.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

-Marcus Parmegiani

xcalibur

Re: Divorce during the Third Reich

Post by xcalibur » 12 Jul 2003, 06:34

marcusio wrote:I am hoping that someone may be able to help. I am a researcher working for Universal Films on a movie that will revolve around the last voyage of the Hindenburg, and I need to find accurate historical information about the Third Reich.

I have several areas I am investigating, one of which is the divorce laws of the Third Reich: what were these and when were they enacted?

I would be really grateful for any tips or information that you may be able to provide.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

-Marcus Parmegiani
no offense intended, but if you are being paid by universal or any other film company to do research, then do it. some people take this stuff seriously... to you, it's a job. you want free information, go to a library. or, as a minimum, bother to search the site for info you want. as stressful as this all may sound, you yourself might learn something in the process.

POW
Banned

Post by POW » 12 Jul 2003, 13:28

The book written by Dirk Blasius "Ehescheidungen in Deutschland 1794 - 1945. Scheidung und Scheidungsrecht in historischer Perspektive. [trnsl. Divorcements in Germany 1774 - 1945. Law for a divorce from historic view]" may be of help.

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 12 Jul 2003, 14:08

Divorces in the Third Reich were regulated by the Ehegesetz (abbreviated EheG, full title "Gesetz zur Vereinheitlichung des Rechts der Eheschließung und der Ehescheidung im Lande Österreich und im übrigen Reichsgebiet"; "Marriage Act") enacted 6 of July 1938 and promulgated in the Reichsgesetzblatt (Part I page 807). Before 1938 marriage and divorce were regulated by various parts of the Civil Code (Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch, BGB).

Regards
Mark

Reme

Post by Reme » 15 Jul 2003, 05:25

well at least they are coming to a credible source of information...

don't need more inaccurate hollywood blockbusters.

marcusio

Post by marcusio » 15 Jul 2003, 15:25

Hello,

These are great leads. Thanks so much for the assistance -- it's a great help.

RE: xcalibur wrote "no offense intended, but if you are being paid by universal or any other film company to do research, then do it. some people take this stuff seriously... to you, it's a job. you want free information, go to a library. or, as a minimum, bother to search the site for info you want. as stressful as this all may sound, you yourself might learn something in the process."

I can understand why you might think this. However, please understand that my queries here are part of a much larger research effort that includes library research, purchasing books and documentaries, searching the Web thoroughly, and reviewing every single website out there.

However my time is limited (about 6 weeks). Although I cast a wide net, I don't pretend to become an expert on the topic in such a short timeframe. So, to avoid errors and omissions, I go to the people who care and ask them, knowing (like every good researcher/student/academic/journalist, etc.) that it takes years of work to become an expert on a topic like the Third Reich.

In other words, my question comes to you out of respect and deference for knowledge. Because, for me, developing films is not just a job, it's a responsibility to the audience: I am genuinely interested in portraying the period accurately, in telling a story that is believable and rings true to life.

I hope that clarifies any misunderstanding of my motives. Thank you for your time and your help.

Best,
Marcus

alsaco

Third Reich practise

Post by alsaco » 17 Jul 2003, 22:46

Have a look on the book "Hitler's social revolution" written by David SCHOENBAUM.

I do not have the references for the american edition.

Mr Schoenbaum says that the book was presented as a thesis at St Anthony's College in Oxford. And mention an editor in New York.

The french version has as title "La Révolution brune". A first edition was published by Robert Laffont in 1966. A second edition is by Gallimard, collection tel, in 2000.

David Schoenbaum is professor in History at Iowa University, Iowa City, USA

Return to “Women in the Reich”