Eva Bruan

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
lamguy

Eva Bruan

Post by lamguy » 01 Jun 2002, 04:27

The subject of Eva Braun has always interested me. Very few Germans knew of her existence until after the war and she was dead. I understand her mother lived in West Germany and died in 1977. I know of the whole body theory buried at various places with Hitler and the Goebbels family.
She did have a sister and really don't know what happened to her. Anyway the allies said they were at a loss at her suicide because she would have just received a slap on the wrist as she was apolitical. Was she apolitical and speculation on what would have happened to her if she stayed in Southern Germany and not have gone to Berlin. She was fond of sking ect. I guess she would have been in the western sector. I know she was kept at various locations by Hiler and what was the nature of their relationship?

Randy

lamguy

Eva Braun

Post by lamguy » 01 Jun 2002, 04:41

By the way Magda Goebbels was always referred to as "The first Lady of the Thrid Reich" which I found rather amusing considering the situation. What did Eva think of that? I know she was fond of Magda Goebbels and her children. Any feedback?
Randy

Zapfenstreich

Eva and Magda

Post by Zapfenstreich » 01 Jun 2002, 19:04

Eva was a pretty young girl but not the brightest bulb in the carton. She fell head over heels in love with Hitler at a very young and impressionable age. Had she survived the war, in all probability she would have been a social pariah for several years then would have written her autobiography and made the rounds of the talk shows, much like Hanna Reisch and Putzi Hänfstängel. She endured years of living in the background without any of the honors of being Germany's "First Lady". In the end though, she showed more courage and loyalty than all the rest of the "goose-stepping" heroes who flocked to Hitler during "die schöne Zeiten" but she will never be portrayed in history as being brave and loyal, only as Hitler's doxie.

As to Magda, there was a strong belief that Hitler had an affair with Magda. Goebbels was the kind of man who whose political ambitions would have let him look the other way while the "Boss" humped his wife. When Goebbels wanted to leave Magda for an actress girl-friend, Hitler put the pressure on him to stay in the marriage and he did so.

To give you a better picture of the kind of people they were, Magda's Jewish stepfather ended up in a concentration camp oven with their full knowledge of his fate. Neither would raise a hand to save him. He had taken Magda and her mother from a life of poverty and raised her with all the love and care of a doting father and that's how he was repaid. For giving her the life of a "hoch-geborenes deutsches Mädchen" he was murdered.

My final everlasting image of Magda Goebbels is not that of Germany's "First Lady" but of the lifeless murdered bodies of little children in a drab concrete bunker.

Z

Geli

Re: Eva Braun

Post by Geli » 13 Jul 2002, 06:59

lamguy wrote:By the way Magda Goebbels was always referred to as "The first Lady of the Thrid Reich" which I found rather amusing considering the situation. What did Eva think of that? I know she was fond of Magda Goebbels and her children. Any feedback?
Randy
I'll bet the situation was painful for Eva, but she couldn't do anything about it. Hitler was holding all the cards.

Cantankerous

Re: Eva Braun

Post by Cantankerous » 27 Jan 2021, 03:55

lamguy wrote:
01 Jun 2002, 04:41
By the way Magda Goebbels was always referred to as "The first Lady of the Thrid Reich" which I found rather amusing considering the situation. What did Eva think of that? I know she was fond of Magda Goebbels and her children. Any feedback?
Randy
Hermann Goering's wife Emmy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_G%C3%B6ring) staked a claim to being the "First Lady of the Third Reich".

Return to “Women in the Reich”