women in the german army, how close to the front?

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
diegrinder

women in the german army, how close to the front?

Post by diegrinder » 20 Dec 2003 18:55

In discussion with my friends, we were talking about women in the german army and how close they were to the front lines or mixing with front line units.

I am aware of women working flak units in the cities, women in the field hosptials and women in administration positions.

How close were they to the front lines? How close would field hosptials be to the front lines, and were nurses stationed there near the combat? And for the women working in administration positions, would they be very close to the front lines? I am sure women were in not housed with the men in the same barracks as well.

We were wondering were would the german front line soldier first come into contact with a woman of the german army.

jmachate

Feldlazarett

Post by jmachate » 22 Dec 2003 17:09

The Feldlazarett was positioned 20-25 kilometers behind the front. During the German retreat these may have been over-run or some of the nurses may have stayed behind as is the case for Nurses in Africa.

John

diegrinder

Post by diegrinder » 23 Dec 2003 07:44

thanks for the response, I didn't think they were very close to the front lines. I haven't read of many incidents where german nurses or female adminstration workers were captured by the enemy or fraternizing with the troops in the front lines.

Return to “Women in the Reich”