Goebbels and Lida Baarová

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
panzertruppe2001

Goebbels and Lida Baarová

Post by panzertruppe2001 » 15 May 2004, 19:53

As far as I know Joseph Goebbels and the Czech actress Lida Baarova were lovers. But, was this love affair suitable with the Nazi ideology. Baarova was a Czech woman so she was a slave, so she was not aryian. And Goebbels was an aryan man (he was a German citizen so must be an aryan. It is only a deduction not certainty)
Another thing, the affair was dissaproved by Hitler by moral reasons and not for racial reasons.

Coud somebody help me with these question?

varjag

Post by varjag » 16 May 2004, 12:30

In the many narratives of Goebbels affair with Lida Baarowa I have never noted any racial overtones - and wondered about that too. Since many Czechs were perfect aryan specimens and this was well before the Sudeten crisis, this aspect may have been politely overlooked. Hitler didn't disapprove of the affair - he vetoed it! Lovelorn Goebbels wanted to divorce his wife and marry Baarowa. Now Hitler had been 'best man' at Goebbels wedding to Magda (a vivacious and intelligent woman of impeccable aryan stock) and there was no way Goebbels was gonna get away with it - Hitler told him in very certain terms to drop Baarowa - and that - was a Führer Order......

panzertruppe2001

Post by panzertruppe2001 » 16 May 2004, 23:54

Thanks Varjag. I always suppose that the Nazis had prejudices against Czech for racial motives. But i am wrong. The things are clearer now

Thanks

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 17 May 2004, 12:42

varjag wrote:In the many narratives of Goebbels affair with Lida Barowa I have never noted any racial overtones - and wondered about that too. Since many Czechs were perfect aryan specimens and this was well before the Sudeten crisis, this aspect may have been politely overlooked. Hitler didn't disapprove of the affair - he vetoed it! Lovelorn Goebbels wanted to divorce his wife and marry Barowa. Now Hitler had been 'best man' at Goebbels wedding to Magda (a vivacious and intelligent woman of impeccable aryan stock) and there was no way Goebbels was gonna get away with it - Hitler told him in very certain terms to drop Barowa - and that - was a Führer Order......
There was an added complication Goebbels wife Magda was supported by one of Goebbels subordinates Karl Hanke (Later Gauleiter of
Niederschlesien) and Hanke fell in love with her (Data from Albert Speer a Hanke friend) He wanted her to leave Goebbels and she was tempted but decided that she should stay with her husband for the sake of the children. In this she was supported by Hitler. Hanke left the Progaganda machine shortly after
Philmil

Roderick

Post by Roderick » 17 May 2004, 14:58

Actually Goebbels wasn't anti-Slavs, and if those slavs were a woman, better for him. In fact, Lida Baarova had legs right up to her neck! Herr Goebbels was so amazed and impressed for Baarova's fire that he didn't worry when Hitler menaced to send him to Tokyo as a secondary diplomat. "Mein Führer, with Lida, I go!", he said.

Even for cripples, the flesh is weak. :wink:

Roderick

Misty Dawn Bright

Re: Goebbels and Lida Baarová

Post by Misty Dawn Bright » 19 May 2004, 10:25

I think there was also an issue about the affair happening when it did, in 1938, at the time of the Sudeten Crisis. It just goes to show how inconsistent the Nazis really were ....

Lida Baarova has actually posthumously published a book about her affair with Dr. Goebbels, titled The Sweet Bitterness of My Life. I read an article about it (which I can't give the link to because my internet is not working well). The article claims that Dr. Goebbels actually ended up introducing Baarova to his wife, who initially proposed a plural marriage, with the condition that Lida have no children. Magda then chose that moment to appeal to Hitler.

If you're all interested in what happened afterwards, Baarova found it increasingly difficult to find work, as the Gestapo had called her into their office and informed her that she was on an official blacklist, forbidden to attend any movie premiers or other public events. They even arranged a group of hecklers to shout "Whore, whore!' when she went against the Gestapo's wishes and attended the premier of her movie, Der Spieler (The Player). She eventually moved to Italy and continued her career there. That was interrupted by a short period of imprisonment for collaborating with the Nazi government. Her career was pretty much over after that, and she died in relative poverty.

And, on a side note, Hitler had taken an interest in her before Dr. Goebbels had, inviting her to tea at the Chancellory just a few days after first meeting her (she was 20 at the time). He informed her over tea that "she reminded him of someone tragic and gone in his life." Later on, Baarova realized, with a rather creepy feeling, that the person of whom she reminded Hitler was Geli Raubal!

Misty Dawn Bright

Post by Misty Dawn Bright » 19 May 2004, 14:14

Alright, here's the link at last .... There are three articles in it about the affair ....

http://www.mishalov.com/Baarova.html

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 23 May 2004, 03:24

hey misty dawn,

tell me i am wrong, but did not Lida Baarova go to Salzburg, Austria after the war and marry a well known gynologist?

Knut Hamsun

Post by Knut Hamsun » 23 May 2004, 14:04

Ahoi,
you are right. Lida Baarova, married Dr. Lundvall and lived until the 28. Oktober 2000 in Salzburg. We managed an interview with her a few months before she died. Some clips of the interview were published in an interesting videodocumentation "Dr. Fritz Hippler: Macht und Magie des Dr. Joseph Goebbels".
Kind regards
Knut

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 23 May 2004, 23:13

so this was the nice lady we visited sometimes when i was a child...

cagliostro

Post by cagliostro » 11 Jan 2011, 22:00

Baarova: first husband was John Kopecky (was murdered)

Graham Clayton

Post by Graham Clayton » 18 Jan 2011, 00:11

[quote="Misty Dawn Bright"]If you're all interested in what happened afterwards, Baarova found it increasingly difficult to find work, as the Gestapo had called her into their office and informed her that she was on an official blacklist, forbidden to attend any movie premiers or other public events. They even arranged a group of hecklers to shout "Whore, whore!' when she went against the Gestapo's wishes and attended the premier of her movie, Der Spieler (The Player).

When one of Baarova's films opened in the Kurfurstendamm in Berlin, hecklers took the opportunity to abuse Goebbels over his affair. When Baarova cries out in the film "Where shall I get the 36,000 marks", the audience yelled out "Go to your friend, Joseph!" After 2 days of further wisecracks and abuse, screening of the film was stopped.

Source: Bernard Lamsing "Jupkin - The Most Hated Nazi, Tells All Germany What to Think", LIFE, Volume 6, No 12, March 20, 1939.
"Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, in land, and in the air." - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder.

cagliostro

Post by cagliostro » 18 Jan 2011, 09:44

Baarová been investigated as konfidentka SD.

cagliostro

Post by cagliostro » 26 Feb 2011, 21:18

A new book published of Lída Baarová. The author is Mr. Ondřej Suchý (CZ Republic).

Roderick

Post by Roderick » 27 Feb 2011, 07:14

In fact, Lida was a beautiful woman and an object of seduction so she had a sex appeal.

and herr Joseph Goebbbels, a sample of ugly and disgusting git who became crazy for a lovely nice hot legs.

Power talks it!

regards,

>RodErick

Return to “Women in the Reich”