Eva Braun or Eva Hitler?

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
DarExc

Eva Braun or Eva Hitler?

Post by DarExc » 22 Sep 2002, 18:13

If she married the Fuhrer wouldn't her name be Eva Hitler? You always here people call her Braun but I would think her last name would have changed to reflect the marrage.

Martin Månsson

Post by Martin Månsson » 22 Sep 2002, 18:45

You're correct, on the wedding certificat that was made up she wrote Eva B then overwrote the B and wrote Eva Hitler Geb. (Born) Braun.

Best
Martin

Dan

Post by Dan » 22 Sep 2002, 18:45

A good and acurate point which has never occured to me.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 22 Sep 2002, 20:15

Actually, Hitler wasn't supposed to be Hitler, it was originally Hiedler, but some official guy spelled it wrong so it came out Hitler.

:o

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 23 Sep 2002, 13:15

Actually, Hitler's name was Hitler. His father, Alois, was illegitimate and originally took the maiden name of his mother Schickelgruber. Later in life Georg Heidler accepted paternity of Alois. Alois changed his name to Heidler but it was spelled Hitler in the registry. Therefore when Adolf was born his name was Hitler as were all his older brothers and sisters. Adolf Hitler was NEVER Schickelgruber.

Mark

Phaethon

Post by Phaethon » 23 Sep 2002, 13:44

It's a bit of a technicality since Adolf and Eva were only 'married' just over 15 hours before their suicide. Most of her existence with Hiltler was as Eva Braun, the married bit was all but negligible. Occasionally you will see her referred to as Eva Braun-Hitler, but technically you are right, the person whio arrived at the bunker in the final weeks was Eva Braun, the person who killed herself at Hitler's side was Eva Hitler.

Cheers,

K.
--
Ken Cocker, London

Phaethon

Post by Phaethon » 23 Sep 2002, 13:46

Mark is right. Adolf would have been able to rectify the 'mistake' and become Heidler, however it is said he preferred the more Germanic sound of Hitler.

K.

Eva

Post by Eva » 23 Sep 2002, 19:45

Eva had wanted to be Frau Hitler for sixteen years prior to her hasty wedding on April 28, 1945 (36 hours before their suicide). She even told her maid the morning after the wedding that it was safe to call her Frau Hitler "there's documentary evidence now". It's always annoyed me that, even in talking about their bodies and graves, often historians, authors, and commentators still refer to "Eva Braun". I'm glad to see that at least one other person has picked up on this. She was more loyal and more dear to Hitler than practically anyone else in his inner circle, and was finally given what she always wanted- his name- just before she died. I try and always refer to Eva by her married name when appropriate.

EB

DarExc

Post by DarExc » 24 Sep 2002, 05:55

Eva wrote:Eva had wanted to be Frau Hitler for sixteen years prior to her hasty wedding on April 28, 1945 (36 hours before their suicide). She even told her maid the morning after the wedding that it was safe to call her Frau Hitler "there's documentary evidence now". It's always annoyed me that, even in talking about their bodies and graves, often historians, authors, and commentators still refer to "Eva Braun". I'm glad to see that at least one other person has picked up on this. She was more loyal and more dear to Hitler than practically anyone else in his inner circle, and was finally given what she always wanted- his name- just before she died. I try and always refer to Eva by her married name when appropriate.

EB
As will I.

Navy Vet

Post by Navy Vet » 24 Sep 2002, 06:42

Could you guys get involved in my post here:

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=8001
Eightball wrote:Actually, Hitler wasn't supposed to be Hitler, it was originally Hiedler, but some official guy spelled it wrong so it came out Hitler.
Mark Costa wrote:Actually, Hitler's name was Hitler. His father, Alois, was illegitimate and originally took the maiden name of his mother Schickelgruber. Later in life Georg Heidler accepted paternity of Alois. Alois changed his name to Heidler but it was spelled Hitler in the registry. Therefore when Adolf was born his name was Hitler as were all his older brothers and sisters. Adolf Hitler was NEVER Schickelgruber.
Phaethon wrote:Mark is right. Adolf would have been able to rectify the 'mistake' and become Heidler, however it is said he preferred the more Germanic sound of Hitler.

Geli

Post by Geli » 25 Sep 2002, 03:41

I like the idea of calling her Eva Hitler, since that was her name when she died. Nothing has happened since then to nullify the marriage!

But, since the historians have insisted on calling her by her maiden name, I think Eva Braun-Hitler is a fair compromise. It shows that you know who she was both before and after the marriage license was signed.

Man, when that Eva chick said, "Till death do us part," she meant it!
:wink:

Dan

Post by Dan » 25 Sep 2002, 03:55

Very true. Your sex really is superior in someways, Geli and Eva. I think about the new Travis Tritt song "Where would we be, without the love of a woman; standing beside her man even when he is wrong". Her loyalty was misplaced, but should be honored. I for one will from now on refer to her as Eva Hitler. This is what she wanted. She made a mistake, but it was her's to make, and I will abide by her legal and consensual choise.

HaEn
In memoriam

wrong ?

Post by HaEn » 25 Sep 2002, 23:04

Dan wrote:
Very true. Your sex really is superior in someways, Geli and Eva. I think about the new Travis Tritt song "Where would we be, without the love of a woman; standing beside her man even when he is wrong". Her loyalty was misplaced, but should be honored. I for one will from now on refer to her as Eva Hitler. This is what she wanted. She made a mistake, but it was her's to make, and I will abide by her legal and consensual choise.
OK, you almost got me upset. Why did she "make a mistake" to stand by her man. ? My wife has stood by me for over 55 years total, right or wrong. When I was a lowly 'landveraaier" she stood by me, when I was exonerated, she stood by me, when times were bad, she stood by me, and even when I wanted to leave it all behind and went to the U.S. she still stood by me . And believe me as a Frisian she is no pushover. I honor Eva for her standfast loyalty. HN.

Dan

Post by Dan » 26 Sep 2002, 01:33

Oom het my post verkeert gelees.

I said that her choice of a man, a cause, and a living arraingment was wrong. I said that her standing by her man was honorable, and typical of a woman.

Groete.

Eva

Post by Eva » 26 Sep 2002, 06:59

She was in love with a man... right or wrong, that one fact ruled everything she did from the day they met until the day they died. There aren't enough women in the world today who are willing to stick by the man they love through adversity, and certainly not through the type of adversity she faced in the last days. As far as I'm concerned, Eva hitler was a good woman doing the best she could by loving the only man she could- good for her.

EB
Attachments
kiss.jpg
Eva and Hitler in 1943
kiss.jpg (7.29 KiB) Viewed 4637 times

Return to “Women in the Reich”