Hess's sister - Ley's wife?

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Snarka

Hess's sister - Ley's wife?

Post by Snarka » 08 Dec 2005 07:37

She was a sister of Rudolf Hess and married Robert Ley. I've read about this woman only in a Russian historical novel, where her name was translated as "Margarita" or "Greta". Probably in German it spells differently, because I couldn't find her in Google or here in the Axis forum. So, the first question is, how she was called correctly? (Then maybe I'd find some more info on her).

And the second thing, I'd like to see her photo :). Maybe it was already posted here, but I can't find it because of this spelling problem? Or, if not, and if anybody has seen it, maybe you could help? :)

Thanks,
Snarka.
Last edited by Snarka on 11 Dec 2005 06:28, edited 2 times in total.

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 08 Dec 2005 07:43

PS: I do hope that Elena Syanova hasn't imagined this person entirely from zero! :) Her other characters are quite realistic, at least in names and biographical basics.

R.M. Schultz

Post by R.M. Schultz » 09 Dec 2005 20:35

Robert Ley’s wife was named Inga. They had three children. She was an exceptionally beautiful woman and Ley commissioned a life size portrait of her in the nude which he displayed prominently in his house. According to Robert Ley's private secretary, Hildegard Bruninghoff, Inga Ley shot herself on 29 December 1942. "She had become depressed following complications during childbirth which had left her drug-dependent." She was also known to indulge heavily in drink.

There is not much information out there that I have been able to turn up on her. The only biography of Ley that I know of [Ronald Smelser, “Robert Ley : Hitler's Labor Front leader,” Berg, Oxford / New York City / Hamburg, 1988] has virtually nothing about her, not even mentioning her suicide.

Inga is a Scandinavian name and is short for Ingeborg, while "Margarita" and "Greta" both of which come from the Greek “Margaron” (“Pearl”), so I think your source is more fiction than fact.

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 10 Dec 2005 00:28

R.M. Schultz wrote:Robert Ley’s wife was named Inga

Thank you for explanation about Ley's wife.

In Syanova's novel, Margarita was Ley's first wife, before Inga. They were married not very long, and had two children. Then they divorced, and Margarita with the children emigrated to the USA. Inga is in the novel too, and the description matches with yours very well. She is shown as a very beautiful woman indeed, and her suicide is also shown. (With some deeper reasons, of course :).

I just wanted to know, if Margarita Hess is totally fictional character. Did Rudolf Hess have any sister at all?

R.M. Schultz

Post by R.M. Schultz » 10 Dec 2005 23:56

Snarka wrote:I just wanted to know, if Margarita Hess is totally fictional character. Did Rudolf Hess have any sister at all?

Well, I guess Hess did have a sister ...

Wolf Rüdiger Hess, "The Life and Death of My Father, Rudolf Hess" wrote:After being returned to the Allied Military Prison in Spandau, he agreed to further visits. In the years that followed, members of the family visited Rudolf Hess 232 times altogether. Only the closest members of his family were allowed to meet with him: that is, his wife, his sister, his niece, his nephew, my wife and myself. It was forbidden to shake hands or embrace. Presents were also forbidden, even on birthdays or at Christmas.

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v13/v13n1p24_Hess.html

But I can't find her name, and Ley appears to have been married only once ...

David Irving wrote:Hitler joked to the sculptor Arno Breker, so Breker told me, that he liked to visit his studios, as this was the only occasion when he might hope to glimpse the nude female form. He certainly had an eye for the good looking female: Leni Riefenstahl was one example, whom he repeatedly invited to tea, according to the Goebbels diaries; Anni Brandt, wife of Dr Karl Brandt, his surgeon, was another. So was Heli Bouhler, and the stunningly beautiful first wife of labour chief Dr Robert Ley, a blonde who killed herself in 1940.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/Hitler/docs/medica ... fter3.html

jewish virtual library wrote:INGE LEY: A ravishing blonde and much admired by Hitler. Wife of the drunkard Robert Ley, head of the Arbeitsfront, with whom she was very unhappy. An actress and ballerina by profession, she once took refuge from her husband in the Obersalzberg. After writing a letter to Hitler, which left him very depressed, she attempted suicide in 1943 by jumping out of a window. On October 24, 1945, her husband committed suicide in his cell while awaiting trial at Nuremberg. His suicide note stated that he could "no longer bear the shame". The villa of Robert and Inge Ley still stands on the Mehringdamm in Berlin's suburb of Templehof.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... women.html

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 11 Dec 2005 01:59

Thanks a lot for such a good collection of quotes! Very interesting!

David Irving wrote:So was Heli Bouhler, and the stunningly beautiful first wife of labour chief Dr Robert Ley, a blonde who killed herself in 1940.

Khmm!!... A pattern?! :)

Now, another piece of info (or probably it should be called a rumour :). A friend of mine talked to his friend, a Russian historian who published a series of encyclopedies on the Reich. He said, that Robert Ley had three wives. But Rudolf Hess's sister was not one of them. And he also doesn't know the name of Hess's sister!!!

Some magical mistery here...

PS: Heli Bouhler... could she be related to Philip Bouhler?

Here is a photo of Philipp Bouhler, Robert Ley and (probably) Inga. Or, now I'm beginning to think, it could be Heli (another beautiful and unhappy blonde). Such a stylish clothing - how she stands out in these rows! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Snarka on 11 Dec 2005 06:34, edited 1 time in total.

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 11 Dec 2005 06:30

PS: I've renamed the thread :).

*blush*

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 11 Dec 2005 17:57

The woman in the photo is Inga.

-Koj-

Post by -Koj- » 11 Dec 2005 18:31

@Schulz
could you name the source of that information:

"She was an exceptionally beautiful woman and Ley commissioned a life size portrait of her in the nude which he displayed prominently in his house. "

Thank you. Attached another nice color photo of Robert Ley and Inga.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R.M. Schultz

Post by R.M. Schultz » 13 Dec 2005 03:46

-Koj- wrote:@Schulz
could you name the source of that information:

"She was an exceptionally beautiful woman and Ley commissioned a life size portrait of her in the nude which he displayed prominently in his house.".

I think I got it from Hans Peter Bleuel, “Sex and Society in Nazi Germany,” (translated by J. Maxwell Brownjohn, J.P. Lipincott Company, Philadelphia and N.Y.C., 1973), but it's been a long time and I would have to go back and check. It was certainly not from Smelser, who only mentions that Ley was married to Inga and never writes of her suicide.[/b]

jv
In memoriam

The Ley Household

Post by jv » 13 Dec 2005 05:20

In Strength Through Joy by Hans Peter Bleuel (sub-title Sex and Society in Nazi Germany), Felix Kersten tells of a visit to the Ley household. During the visit a drunken Ley ripped his wife's clothes from her body. She started to weep and called him a wild beast: "He treats me outrageously.. he'll end by killing me one day." A year later she killed herself. According to Bleuel, the grieving Ley consoled himself with a cuddly young Estonian girl. jv

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 13 Dec 2005 11:55

What a beauty she was!!!!! :o If she hadn't been exceptionally beautiful like that, they wouldn't have taken the above color photos, I suppose. :)

If there had been a beauty pageant then, she could've been chosen as Miss Nazi Germany~ :wink:

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 08 Apr 2006 20:45

These colour photos are I believe stills from a colour film[s], a propagandistic film I guess, since A] they used the rarer colour film and B] the mass profusion of uniforms and pagentry.

Sorry I don't know which films, as I don't indulge in buying DVD's etc very much. Maybe someone else can tell you the films?
There are several shots on the net with Ley and Inge from this film, you can tell by the pink summer hat she's wearing.
If only someone acknowleged they took these pics from the film maybe we'd know what it was ?

I bet Fraulein V. would like to get her hands on that hat ;)
[now I had best go and hide]
Regards
Matt Gibbs

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 08 Apr 2006 22:11

Princeton has some personal correspondence of hers, would be interesting
to note what they may say?

" http://libweb.princeton.edu/libraries/f ... itler.html "

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 08 Apr 2006 22:51

Annelie,
Why not write and ask them then..? ;)