Pictures of Inga Ley

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
HaShomer

Re: Pictures of Inga Ley

Post by HaShomer » 18 Aug 2015 17:13

Helge, what is the date of Hitler letter of condolence to her mother? That should settle when she died.

Helge

Post by Helge » 18 Aug 2015 18:42

HaShomer wrote:Helge, what is the date of Hitler letter of condolence to her mother? That should settle when she died.
The date of death is 29 December 1942, the date of the letter is 31 December 1942.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

Helge

Post by Helge » 19 Aug 2015 11:29

Inga
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HaShomer

Post by HaShomer » 19 Aug 2015 20:32

Thank you Helge. One more question: is there consensus that her husband's recanting and apologia for Nazi anti-Jewish policies in his suicide note is authentic, or is the note considered a plant by the allies?

Haven

Post by Haven » 26 Sep 2015 20:05

Suicide seems to be a theme [?] among certain women of the Nazi elite. Geli Raubal, Eva Braun (many attempts) and Inga Ley. And I am going to conjecture wildly now, but they all, or at least these 3, seem to share some personality attributes.

If they were inclined too, they were all vivacious and light up a room. Geli was too young to perfect this attribute, she would always light up a room, appropriate or not. Urbane and stylish. Dynamic. But once faced with the cloistered life, they begin to “break-down”[?]

Now Inge Ley was married and was not treated like a “kept woman,” yet! But as the war heats up, I think Robert Ley’s grip or controlling nature began to get tighter around her dynamic nature. She uses art, children and narcotics to make the secluded life much more bearable. But…the fear of isolation is grueling. I believe Geli may have understood the horror of isolation better than most starstruck women of her age, Eva learned the hard way.

Some of the other Nazi wives seemed thrive in traditional bourgeois roles, while others, lived as “courtesans.” (I think, not committed to that thought).

(As an aside, Douglas MacArthur had a vivacious charming kept women who eventually broke down under the weight.)

Now some differences. Geli and Eva came from the “Petite bourgeoisie” (lower-to-middle class) while Inga was from the “haute bourgeoisie” (upper classes). Inga is the child of artists. (High art, artists at that.) She would have been intensely familiar with the social distinctions of the aristocratic classes and the various middle-classes, which could explain her ability to be a stunning presence wherever she goes, without looking tacky. Women who are from the lower-middle-classes tend to “try too hard” or just don’t try at all, once thrusted among the upper-classes. Inga seems to glide effortlessly in these circles, maybe even enjoyed it, but once her function as a “trophy wife” changed, it was time for her to go to her nice shinny cell. Robert now had other women to fulfil certain roles while she was to be his Eva Braun.

The ‘dull” comment could have been when Inga was on narcotics or coming down from them. Or maybe, “dull” is what Inga wanted Traudl Junge to see. Maybe Inga was sophisticated enough to know that a certain charm and vivaciousness could be understood in a different way by someone like Miss Junge.

Just some notes and thoughts. Inga does have something hauntingly romantic and tragic about her.

Haven

Post by Haven » 28 Sep 2015 17:26

As an aside, Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance resembles Inga Ley.

I think she could do the soundtrack to the life of Inga Ley.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 28 Sep 2015 22:21

Maybe it was intentional that she looks so much
like Inga Ley?

Nice voice.

Biber

Post by Biber » 29 Sep 2015 14:02

Sorry, I don't see the resemblance, certainly not to the degree you are suggesting. If you want an uncanny resemblance, compare Jenna Elfman.

Haven

Post by Haven » 30 Sep 2015 02:37

I agree, Jenna Elfman indeed. But that profile with Joseph Thorak and some other profiles gave me a Lisa Gerrard vibe. And her personal story reminded me of some of the music of Lisa Gerrard and Dead Can Dance.

Helge

Post by Helge » 18 Jan 2017 07:25

A marble bust of Inga.

Source photo: https://enkelundahnen.wordpress.com/
Last edited by Helge on 18 Jan 2017 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

Helge

Post by Helge » 18 Jan 2017 07:34

Gittli Spilcker facial sculpture: the Inga sister.

ghostsoldier
Financial supporter

Post by ghostsoldier » 18 Jan 2017 16:44

Helge wrote:A marble bust of Inga.

Exquisite....are there more views of this bust?

Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Helge

Post by Helge » 17 May 2017 01:55

Photographer : Lala Aufsberg.

Dr. Robert Ley (und Inga Spilcker), Reichsleiter der NSDAP und Leiter der Deutschen Arbeitsfront mit Anhang und Frauen bei einer winterlichen Sportvorführung. 1939

Photo source: Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek.

mm92280

Re: Bruninghoff affidavit

Post by mm92280 » 05 Sep 2017 04:24

Brumbar wrote:
Big Orange wrote:Why did a babe like Inga, shack up with a scum bag like Ley? :?

And I heard that Ley suffered from mental problems that were induced either by heavy drinking or head trauma due to a flying accident.

And Trandl labeling Inga Ley as "dull" possibly meant that Inga Ley was a self-obsessed and empty headed bimbo.
Perhaps because, as Henry Kissinger once observed (while dating Jill St. John), "Power is an aphrodisiac."

"I heard" just doesn't cut it. Suggest you read the affadavit taken at Nuremberg, "The Private Life of Ley", given by his personal secretary, Hildegard Bruninghoff (IWM, FO645, Box 155, "Private Life of Ley. Bruninghoff, Notes through Interrogation Division", October 1945, pp. 2-8.)

Has anyone found the Bruninghoff affidavit online? I assume it must have been online at one point for Brumbar to post such detailed info on it. I know quite a bit of the Nuremberg documents are online but haven't been able to find this particular affidavit from Hildegarde Bruninghoff yet. I am particularly curious to find it and read it online, if it is available.

mm92280

Post by mm92280 » 06 Sep 2017 02:44

I have done some more searching online. I haven't been able to find the above Bruninghoff affidavit titled "The Private Life of Ley" but I did come across the linked affidavit below from Paula Mueller from June of '45, who is noted as being "private secretary of Dr. Robert Ley since 1940". Since Bruninghoff was apparently mentioned as being Ley's secretary as well in her affidavit, I assume Ley had multiple secretaries.

There is a section of Paula Mueller's affidavit titled "The Death of Mrs Ingar Ley". Below is the text of this section of the affidavit (hopefully quoting it word for word isn't somehow a violation of board policies):

LEY's second wife, Ingar, had three children in four years which left her in poor physical condition. The children are now 4, 5 and 6 years old respectively. She took to dope, underwent a cure at a sanitarium, but on coming home began to drink heavily and take dope again. Source doubts that LEY knew of his wife's heavy drinking.

Rumors that LEY killed his wife are absolutely untrue, source states. Around 6 o'clock one night in Dec 42 Mrs LEY told source to take a car and drive a guest to WADBROEHL. She was told to make the trip fast since LEY was planning to use the car to take him to the RR station for his planned trip to the FUEHRER Hq in East Prussia that same day. Upon her return to the house source was met by a servant who told her nervously to go upstairs where something had happened. Source found LEY trying to get into the locked bedroom. He finally managed to get into the room through an adjoining room and the window. Here Mrs LEY was found on her bed with a bullet wound through her forehead. She was dressed in her fur coat. Mrs LEY wrote a letter before she killed herself, but source has never read it.

After this affair, LEY cancelled his trip to the FUEHRER Hq and sent MARRENBACH instead. HITLER personally called that night expressing his sympathy and telling LEY not to give up since he was needed by the THIRD REICH. After the death of Mrs LEY, HITLER never again visited LEY's home. LEY himself started to drink so heavily, that it was rumored that HITLER ordered LEY to stop drinking, as it was giving him a bad name. LEY did not marry his mistress (whom he met in Mar 43) because he was afraid of ridicule as she was 18 years old and he was 54 at the time. This, however, did not prevent her from bearing him a child, which was delivered in Sep 44.

http://hydrastg.library.cornell.edu/fed ... df/content

Return to “Women in the Reich”