Mothers in the Fatherland

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Annelie

Mothers in the Fatherland

Post by Annelie » 20 Apr 2006, 22:09

I bought the book on recommendation from above. Although I find it very interesting
I also find it disturbing. Maybe its that I cannot be emotionally detached from the subject.
Found the author Claudia Koonz and excellent writer and obviously much research and
thought went into the book............however, I find that she the author (IMHO) attacks the
subject I believe with already pre-conceived idea on how the Mothers in Germany were
indirectly responsible or should I say were enablers.

One the same hand I was thinking about how the world views America. Could this same principle
be applied to the women of America and how the rest of the world view it.

The author again in my opinion forgets that in the world of the late 30's and 40's women were for the
most part in the same position regardless what country they lived in. Women did not partake in politics
and the majority held the husbands career and job more important than their own goals and wants.
It was the Mother's job to primarly stay home and raise a family. Women that did work were for the most
part in low paying jobs. Did the women of the "dritte reich" who decided to support Nazism accept inferior
status in exchange for rewards?

Hopefully when I read more I shall find an unbiased research within.
I was hoping for more proof also of her findings not just that she visited such and such a place
but a little more that I could also check into.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 23 Apr 2006, 18:14

Annelie,

I've had some of the same concerns when reading the book. The author definitely approaches the subject with some modern, and feminist, biases. As with many books, I recognise and try to "read past" these biases, since the text, notes, and extensive bibliography contain a lot of excellent information and sources.

~FV

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 23 Apr 2006, 21:02

Yes, I will heed your advice.

I am enjoying the book but its hard sometimes to overlook her biases.
This book I would easily recommend.

Annelie :P

ps. also have bought the other book that you mentioned
"Franz W. Seidler's Blitzmädchen: Die Geschichte der Helferinnen
der deutschen Wehrmacht.".........think its great that there is an thread where books are recommended.

Flinker
Banned

Post by Flinker » 25 Apr 2006, 01:44

Annelie, it seems books these days must reflect certain reactions on the part of the authors. It's all about political correctness, and books will not get published unless the authors preen and demonstrate their correctness, IMHO. So, I think your detection of the author's pre-conceived notions shows good attentiveness. I also think you're probably good at "reading between the lines" -- a necessary skill in the process of uncovering truths.

Return to “Women in the Reich”