Allied military aid for Soviet Union

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 31 Jan 2003 22:04

During Winter war USA sold SU 1550 million litres aviation fuel, copper, tin, molybden, nickel, steelplates, aero & car engines etc.
Four shiploads at Jan-40 and four Feb-40 (Norwegian s/s Silvaplana and s/s Norby, US s/s Wildwood and s/s Texas).
Moral embargo, but business as usual.
So, SU was enjoying Western help even before the Barbarossa.

Regards, Juha

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 31 Jan 2003 22:08

Juha Tompuri wrote:During Winter war USA sold SU 1550 million litres aviation fuel, copper, tin, molybden, nickel, steelplates, aero & car engines etc.
Four shiploads at Jan-40 and four Feb-40 (Norwegian s/s Silvaplana and s/s Norby, US s/s Wildwood and s/s Texas).
Moral embargo, but business as usual.
So, SU was enjoying Western help even before the Barbarossa.

Regards, Juha
how is that a help?

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 31 Jan 2003 22:36

Oleg,

Do you count only donations as help?

Regards, Juha

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 01 Feb 2003 00:33

Juha Tompuri wrote:Oleg,

Do you count only donations as help?

Regards, Juha
Juha when you go to dillership and buy a car -do you considre that to be help? I have serious doubts that whoever sold materials and such to USSR prior to 06. considred it as help, even less so as help that was supposed to aid USSR in defeating Germany. Speaking of which - Germany was the biggest exporter (with USA being distant second) to USSR prior to war. Was Germany helping USSR?

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 01 Feb 2003 10:57

What about the number of aircrafts (for example P-39 "Airacobra" and P-47 "Thunderbolt")? I know the British presented the Soviets a battleship. However I dont remember her name.

Regards

Robert Hurst

Lend-Lease Tanks Pt 5

Post by Robert Hurst » 01 Feb 2003 11:47

Hi

Halftracks

The USA provided the Soviets with 2,278 halftracks including the troop carrier versions, and various gun motor carriage types.The troop carrier versions such as the M2, M3, M5 and M9 were used mainly as command vehicles.

Probably the most popular halftrack types supplied the M17 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage armed with quad 0.50 cal machine-guns and the M15A1 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage armed with a 37 mm automatic cannon and twin 0.50 cal machine-guns. These were the only armoured anti-aircraft vehicles available to the Red Army during the war in any quantity. They were used mainly by tank and mechanised corps for air-defence.

The T-48 tank destroyer was an M3 halftrack armed with a 57 mm anti-tank gun. The majority of the production run was sent to the Red Army where it was called the SU-57. It was used to form special tank destroyer brigades, each having about 60 SU-57s in three battalions.

The forst of these was the 16th Tank Destroyer Brigade which first went into action in August 1943. These units remained in action until the end o fthe war. Some of the US halftracks were later turned over tot he Polish Peoples Army which fought on the Eastern Front in 1943-45. These included troop halftracks as well as M17s and T-48s.

M3A1 Scout Car

A total of 3,340 M3A1 scout cars were sent to the Red Army during the war. They were used mainly as scout vehicles, command cars and radio vehicles to supplement the BA-64.

The above text and photos were taken from 'Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles of World War Two', by Steven J. Zaloga and James Grandsen.

Regards

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 01 Feb 2003 14:22

Musashi wrote:What about the number of aircrafts (for example P-39 "Airacobra" and P-47 "Thunderbolt")? I know the British presented the Soviets a battleship. However I dont remember her name.

Regards
HMS “Royal Sovereign” - "Arkhangelsk" in Russian service.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 01 Feb 2003 14:33

oleg wrote:Was Germany helping USSR?

Yes it was.
Can´t see it as harm to SU. Friend helped friend. AFAIK there even was some sort of agreement about it, or perhaps pact would be the right word.
SU and Nazi-Germany were allies at that time.

Regards, Juha

P.S. Bob, thanks for the info.

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 01 Feb 2003 14:48

oleg wrote:
Musashi wrote:What about the number of aircrafts (for example P-39 "Airacobra" and P-47 "Thunderbolt")? I know the British presented the Soviets a battleship. However I dont remember her name.

Regards
HMS “Royal Sovereign” - "Arkhangelsk" in Russian service.

Thanks, thats it.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 01 Feb 2003 15:34

Juha Tompuri wrote:
oleg wrote:Was Germany helping USSR?

Yes it was.
Can´t see it as harm to SU. Friend helped friend. AFAIK there even was some sort of agreement about it, or perhaps pact would be the right word.
SU and Nazi-Germany were allies at that time.

Regards, Juha

P.S. Bob, thanks for the info.
It called trade, Juha. If above mentioned dealership gave me car – that would be help, if I pay my money for it is a trade. And since when nonaggression pact is equal to being an ally? USSR also had nonaggression pact with Japan – does that mean that it was Japanese ally as well?

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 07 Feb 2003 22:17

Oleg,

Sorry for the delay.
If not an ally, how about a partner? http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/nazsov/ns053.htm

Regards, Juha

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”