T34's at Stalingrad

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
worthy_m

T34's at Stalingrad

Post by worthy_m » 23 Feb 2003, 17:56

I'm wondering whether anyone could tell me what T34's were used at Stalingrad, and what differences there are between the T34's at Stalingrad and the ones produced elsewhere. Also any specific information on battles in which the T34 1943 model (the with the hexagonal turret, but no commanders cupola) was used? I'm still fairly new to most things about WW2 . but am mainly interested in Eastern front armour, so anything any one can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » 04 Jan 2004, 04:04

worthy_m I can't tell you any specific numbers for T34's and Stalingrad but they did play a large part, and like the german armour committed to the street fighting they faired badly inside the city but during the counter-offensive and crushing of they pocket they performed well and were instrumental in shutting down the german airifleds because they race ahead of the infantry and shelled the airfields. I believe they only used early T-34's and T-34m's.

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 04 Jan 2004, 05:35

The Leningrad area was a poor place for mass tank use, so the Soviets gave it secondary priority in terms of new tank types. Most pictures I have seen are of early model T-34s, not the hexagonal turret type. Before the evacuation of the Kirov plant, it produced 491 tanks and, according to pictorial records, SU-122s.

Best Regards, David

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”