BT5

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Von_Mannteufel

BT5

Post by Von_Mannteufel » 02 May 2003 08:53

I don't realy know if it's the BT5 or BT7 but i've heard one of those (don't remember which) acctualy could run only on their roadwhels with no track, is this true?

moses

Post by moses » 02 May 2003 12:03

bt-7 i believe

some good info here:
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/ussr/bt.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Von_Mannteufel

Post by Von_Mannteufel » 04 May 2003 19:11

Thank you for the info and the pic. :) I still wonder how they do that.. hehehe

daveh

Post by daveh » 04 May 2003 21:05

The idea of removing tracks and running on road wheels was to save wear on the tracks. The BT series derived from the American Christie M1930 convertible tank. The tracks of these early 1930's vehicles had a low life span. By removing the tracks the tank could be run at speed on roads with no track wear. A special chain drive was used to power the rear road wheels in non track mode. Tracks were replaced for cross country use. Neither the BT 5 or 7 ran only on road wheels.

A variation on this was the Wheel-cum-Track vehicles where track units could be raised or lowered as needed. An example of this was the Saurer RR7 developed from 1936 as an artillery tractor for the Austrian army. Testing was completed and in 1937, an order was placed for the tractors which were manufactured in 1938. About 12 vehicles were made prior to "Anschluss". After Austria was incorporated into Germany in 1938, the vehicle continued to be manufactured as the Sd Kfz 254. . Records indicate that a total of 140 units were built.

Harri

Post by Harri » 04 May 2003 21:35

daveh wrote:The idea of removing tracks and running on road wheels was to save wear on the tracks.
...and to increase the speed. They could run about 70 km/h without tracks but mainly only on paved roads.
daveh wrote:Tracks were replaced for cross country use.
They were obligatory. The tank just "sank" into soft soil without tracks. Anyway the tracks slipped away too easily and the overal cross-country performance was poor. Finnish tankers prefered T-26 a much better tank than BT-5 and 7.

There were also other special models. Finns modified 18 captured BT-7s to BT-42 assault guns (we saw a photo of it in the fourth TRF competition recently) with 114 mm howitzer. During the battle of Vyborg [Viipuri] on 20 June 1944 they suffered heavy casualties mainly due to their weak overall performance and track failures. While changing to wheel drive was a suicide during combat many tanks had to be abandoned.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”