Farewell to Czarist Pogoni

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Balrog

Farewell to Czarist Pogoni

Post by Balrog » 01 Jan 2016, 18:36

The Bolsheviks abolished Czarist shoulder boards (pogoni) in 1917. The shoulder boards were a glaring (and hated) symbol of the czarist system. At one point during the Russian Civil War the Reds had slogans like" We don't wear pogoni!"

I believe czarist style pogoni (shoulder boards) were reintroduced in 1935, and czarist style insignia was reintroduced during WW2. Does anyone have any information on this? Is this information correct?

I'm interested in exactly when and more importantly why Stalin brought the hated czarist style pogoni back?

I found a great painting of a former czarist officer kissing and burying his czarist pogoni during the Russian Civil War.

Paul_Atreides

Re: Farewell to Czarist Pogoni

Post by Paul_Atreides » 01 Jan 2016, 22:01

Balrog wrote: I believe czarist style pogoni (shoulder boards) were reintroduced in 1935,
6th January 1943 by Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the USSR.
why Stalin brought the hated czarist style pogoni back?
"In the time of the Red Army organization it was established mainly former Russian military uniform, but instead shoulder straps were adopted other insignia: on the sleeves and lapels. Introduction now shoulder straps is yet another link in the whole chain of events of the Government and the People's Commissariat of Defense, aiming to further strengthen military order, discipline, unity of command, and to increase the authority of our army's commanders". (Voennyi vestnik, 1943, № 2, p. 2).

Actually, first ideas about shoulder boards appeared in the spring of 1940 when introduced the rank of general. Then there was the proposal to introduce them to units of the Soviet guards (autumn 1941 and later). Finally, in May 1942, the draft of the new insignia was approved by the General Political Department in the subsequent implementation across the Red Army.
There is no waste, there are reserves (Slogan of German Army in World Wars)

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 02 Jan 2016, 09:15

Balrog wrote: I'm interested in exactly when and more importantly why Stalin brought the hated czarist style pogoni back?
Most Soviet officers of 1943 were either small kids or not even born yet back in 1917 and had few memories about the Civil War. The symbolic meaning was obviously to emphasize continuity of traditions and historical inheritance from Old Russia much in accord with other steps in PR and propaganda.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 02 Jan 2016, 13:17

Thank you for the information.

In 1935 "personal ranks" were reinstated: captain, major, etc. However these new Soviet ranks were a combination of traditional czarist style ranks and functional titles.

Until the 1940s, rank continued to be wore on the cuffs and lapels.

In case anyone is curious, the painting is "A Farewell to Tsarist Pogoni" by Pavel Ryzhenko

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 11 Jan 2016, 05:33

The officer in the painting belongs to the White volunteer army of South Russia note the tricolor chevron and I believe the shoulder patch is to an elite unit.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 15 Jan 2016, 15:12

He looks like an officer in the Kornilov Division:

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 15 Jan 2016, 15:18

And here is a close up of Kornilov Division pogoni:

And the Shaska with the order of St. George ribbon hanging off of it:

And a close up of the Kornilovtsi division patch:

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 30 Aug 2018, 17:28

I'm curious about this painting. Was it based on fact? I have not been able to find any stories about Czarist officers burying their epaulettes during the Russian Civil War. Did anything like this actually happen?

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 31 Aug 2018, 23:22

The title of this painting is a bit usual. While the Bolsheviks did ban the pogoni (along with the Cossack Nagaika and the double-suspender strap style Sam Browne belt), the Whites didn't (after all they were anti-Bolshevik). I assume that the painting reflects that without a Czar, the old Imperial Army was gone and the officer was mourning its passing. After all, the officer in the painting is still wear pogoni but without any Imperial markings.

This is speculation on my part, but the writings of many of the emigres after the Civil War ended reflect this sense of loss.
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 01 Sep 2018, 10:45

jwsleser wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 23:22
assume that the painting reflects that without a Czar, the old Imperial Army was gone and the officer was mourning its passing. After all, the officer in the painting is still wear pogoni but without any Imperial markings.

This is speculation on my part, but the writings of many of the emigres after the Civil War ended reflect this sense of loss.
I think you're on the right track. I read a book in 2017 entitled Former People. It was about the Russian nobility that found itself completely displaced after the revolution. I have read several books on White Russian exiles, but I have not found any instances of anyone burying their Czarist pogoni. I can't help but wonder if there is any truth to the painting.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 08 Dec 2018, 17:47

I found this quote online. I don't know who wrote it, but it does seems to answer my question.
“Goodbye my beautiful Russia, goodbye the Tsar I admired and goodbye the life I so enjoyed. Now I lay down the insignia that made me a hero in the Tsars eyes, for the eyes of the Tsar will never lay upon them again. Now, like the darkness engulfs Russia I put my insignia in the ground. For dark is the day and dark engulfed the light of the old Russia.”

- Imperial Officer as he buried his Pogoni.

Most officers choose to bury their pogoni during the civil war and above is an excerpt from a journal. Many saw the death of the Tsar as a new beginning but many also saw it as the end of the world they loved.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 11 Dec 2018, 16:06

Excellent quote! Thank you for posting it.
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”