Soviet paras

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
parahist

Soviet paras

Post by parahist » 23 Apr 2017, 20:03

In 1930's and WWII time The Soviet Union had many paratroopers units. How long was the parachute training period and what kind/how many of training jumps they made?

KACKO

Re: Soviet paras

Post by KACKO » 01 May 2017, 17:40

Well I can give you example of 2nd Czecho - Slovak Para brigade in USSR which was trained by Soviets, armed by Soviets. 2800 men. Most of the soldiers were Slovaks from Fast Division 92%. Started to form on Jefremov in January 20th 1944. 3 month of intensive para training. Total of 13 559 training jumps. 1 death during training and some 176 smalle accidents.
Brigade was declared combar ready on April 8th.

Moves to Proskurovo April 30th. Continued training there till start of September.

After start of Slovak National Uprising soldiers hoped Slovakia will be their deatination. Instead unit was sent to Dukla pass where it was in battle for 10 days as regular infantry where it lost 625 men - KIA, WIA

Only in September 25 start to transport to Slovakia.

That's example I have. Not sure how representative it is for Soviets.

'

parahist

Post by parahist » 03 May 2017, 21:33

Thanks Kacko!

All what you wrote means, that they made about 5 jumps / men. That's about same like others (allied and German) have in that time. And maybe they also jumped from parachute towers.

What is your orginal source? And do you have any info about airplanes what they used.

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 05 May 2017, 18:40

parahist wrote:Thanks Kacko!

All what you wrote means, that they made about 5 jumps / men. That's about same like others (allied and German) have in that time. And maybe they also jumped from parachute towers.

What is your orginal source? And do you have any info about airplanes what they used.
Czechoslovak Paras in training did 7675 training jumps from balloons and 5584 from airplanes.
Airplanes used were Lisunov Li-2.

Sources are variouse Czech and Slovak articles including book by first commander of 2nd Czechoslovak para brigade Colonel Vladimir Prikryl.

Brigade consisted:
HQ
staff company
bicyclist company
two infantry battalions
Recon detachment
artillery, AT and AA detachments
Radio and engineering companies
Total 2714 men and women

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 05 May 2017, 20:53

Also founfmd Czechoslovak para brigade should have tank battalion. Later changed to detachment of armored cars. I am not aware it was attached to them during their actions at Dukla pass.

During their action they were definitely without any attached armor. Sometimes they were supported by Slovak armored trains though.

parahist

Post by parahist » 05 May 2017, 22:00

Thanks again for good info!

I hadn't find any other source that they make balloon jumps before they jumped from airplanes. Britis used balloons also. I had saw lot of pictures were are parachute towers in Russia but balloons... not yet. That's interesting!

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 06 May 2017, 00:34

parahist wrote:Thanks again for good info!

I hadn't find any other source that they make balloon jumps before they jumped from airplanes. Britis used balloons also. I had saw lot of pictures were are parachute towers in Russia but balloons... not yet. That's interesting!
Parachute towers were later used in Czechoslovakia. I guess they were used in USSR too but didn't counted to the practice jumps. They were more for learning basics before touching the ground.

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 06 May 2017, 01:19

Check this picture. Czechoslovak paratrooper in Soviet union. Look at construction behind. I would say it could be jumping tower.

parahist

Post by parahist » 11 May 2017, 20:29

That looks that there is parachute tower behind them. Did they pack thein parachutes? Good picture!

I had seen some examination protocols (is this right world?) where prisoner of war told that they had done xx jumps from tower and xx from airplane. So, I belive that they count also tower jumps.

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 18 May 2017, 16:39

parahist wrote:That looks that there is parachute tower behind them. Did they pack thein parachutes? Good picture!

I had seen some examination protocols (is this right world?) where prisoner of war told that they had done xx jumps from tower and xx from airplane. So, I belive that they count also tower jumps.
According to variouse memories of Czechoslovak paras they did packed their own parachutes.

As to towers jumbs. Not sure but in Czech and Slovak literature numbers I provided are divided into balloon jumps and airplane jumps.

parahist

Post by parahist » 21 May 2017, 21:44

Thanks for good info!

I don't remember in my sources that they (Russians) packed their parachutes. Need to look papers again. That's new for me.

Do you know, did they use reserve parachute when they jumped? In Winter war time, Russians used two parachutes (main and reserve) but in Continuation War they used only one parachute (automatic open - static line).

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”