Buying books from Russia

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Der Alte Fritz

Buying books from Russia

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 25 Jul 2017, 22:46

My long time bookseller for purchasing books from Russia seems to have gone bust and is not answering emails.

I would like to buy a set of books from a private seller in the Moscow area but as usual this sort of seller is not used to sending post abroad or dealing with foreign payments. Does anyone have any ideas or can offer any help?

Anyone got any good contacts for a decent military bookseller in Russia to replace the one I have lost?

Dann Falk

Re: Buying books from Russia

Post by Dann Falk » 26 Jul 2017, 04:57

You should ask Alex from the RKKA web site. I have ordered several books from him and they came quickly and in good shape. He also has access to hard to find books and reports.

Dann

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 26 Jul 2017, 09:31

Hi Dann
That might be an option and I will drop him a line. I was using setbooks.org for buying books from Russia but their website is down and Elena is not replying to emails so I think that they have gone bust.

cheers
DAF

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 26 Jul 2017, 11:14

If you ask Alex, remember you are asking a personal favor. I have done it once in desperation to complete my Komdivy-set but I have had a lot of dealings with him through the years. I would try to convince the Russian seller to get Pay-pal. I think international post from Russia is not harder than sending it from the UK. Have had dealing with Russians before and I am aware they are a lot different than Westerner, trying to communicate ideas that are natural for us (Westerners) might not be so natural or obvious to them.

PS If you are interested in Russian literature be sure to check 'ЛитРес', which carries electron versions of books. They have a growing number of military titles, some are dirt-cheap (I mean like $3 each). Think that Ozon.ru carries links to ЛитРес.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 26 Jul 2017, 11:24

A lot of Russian private sellers are reluctant to send books out of their home city, let alone abroad and there is a customs declaration to be filled out if sending out of the country which puts a lot of people off.

Setbooks had this odd arrangement where the books were sent from Moscow to Hamburg and then they were forwarded from there to the UK but that may have been a distribution centre breaking up a bulk delivery from Russia

All this is just the extra element of pain enjoyed by the Soviet researcher. (Should have stuck to the US Army - much easier)

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 28 Jul 2017, 09:50

A friendly AHF member is helping out with this private sale from Moscow.

But I have now discovered that
NATASHA KOZMENKO BOOKSELLERS SLAVIC LITERATURE LLP BOOKS IN RUSSIAN DIRECTLY FROM MOSCOW http://www.nkbooksellers.com/

and

MIPP International

North America:
MIPP International
150 Corbin Place #2A, Brooklyn
NY 11235 USA

Europe (orders only):
MIPP International
PO Box 1861
04003 Vilnius-43
LITHUANIA

offer a book finding service.

I would also mention "Military Publishing" http://voenizdat.su/ who is able to send books overseas but as he is in Kiev he does not have the access to stock that he once did.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 28 Jul 2017, 18:06

The pros and cons of various methods of sending money to Russian booksellers
https://russiau.com/send-money-russia/

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”