Battleship Potemkin Uniforms

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Angus1235

Battleship Potemkin Uniforms

Post by Angus1235 » 15 Dec 2017, 00:52

I wasnt 100% sure which area to post this in, but figured a 1925 film would fit nicely into the specified era here.

I was just wondering if the uniforms used in the Battleship Potemkin film are original, or made specially for screen? The one I am particularly interested in is the uniforms worn by the Cossack soldiers in the odessa stair massacre scene. I know it's obscure, but I figueed somebody here might know the answer.
Searching for Truppenfahrrad parts: Torpedo coaster brake parts, Union-werke headlight, truppenfahrrad handlebars, Torpedo front wheel hub.

GregSingh

Re: Battleship Potemkin Uniforms

Post by GregSingh » 15 Dec 2017, 03:14

You mean original 1905 uniforms were used in 1925 movie?
There was a WWI, Russian Civil War in the meantime and uniforms in the movie look quite new and these are white color ones!

Anyway, uniforms of those soldiers on foot are different from those on horses at the bottom of the stairs...

I also doubt that uniforms shown in this scene are like those of Cossacks in 1905 Odessa. Several sources mention 8th Don Cossack Regiment at that time in Odessa. Their uniforms were nothing like those in the movie...
8dc.jpg
8dc.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 575 times

jwsleser

Re: Battleship Potemkin Uniforms

Post by jwsleser » 15 Dec 2017, 22:50

I watched the Battleship Potemkin | The Odessa Steps Scene . The uniforms are pretty accurate. Some close-ups would give me a better idea of how close.

The Russian uniforms during the RJW (1904-05) were a very dark green (almost black) tunic and pants (as you see in GregSingh' photo). The fur cap was normally worn in garrison while the cap of the same dark green with a colored band was for service. The summer uniform were the same pants with a white tunic. The cap had a white cover for summer wear. Both uniforms used colored shoulder boards to indicate regiment, branch of service, and rank.

The Cossacks appear to be wearing bandoleers, while correct for period, are to carry extra ammunition. Leathers pouches worn on the belt would be the norm for troops in light order; the bandoleers carried only if additional ammunition was needed. The sword belt appears correct; the shaska worn using a shoulder belt and not suspended from the waist belt.

I would need to see stills and close-ups to determine more.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”