Presumed sov. attacks/Baltic 2 + 7 februari 1945

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
jringbom

Presumed sov. attacks/Baltic 2 + 7 februari 1945

Post by jringbom » 04 Mar 2019, 11:47

I have gone through the some of the documents i the Historsiches archives regarding some incidents in february 1945 in the Baltic.
The L-3 made an attack on the 31 of januari 1945. L-3 fired torpedo against Landsort on its way to Visby but missed. (This was news to me since its been a mystery for many years, at least on Gotland.)

There is some incidents the folowing days. The freighter Gute was on the 2 of feb. traveling in a convoy to Nynäshamn and after seeing a torpedo she turned and the torpedoe missed. (According to the archives there were no attacks at all made by soviet subs on this day)
Mabye a false contact?

But on the 7 of february ther was another incident. Altough this time there the was no attack BUT they (destroyer Gävle) picked up sound from a submarine closing in on a swedish convoy. Since the revelutions were not constant they feared it was a sub preparing an attack. Since there wasnt an attack there is obviously no attack report.

My question is? Was there any soviet subs in the area that day?
This was close to Gotland. 10´west of Stenkyrkehuk.

igorr

Re: Presumed sov. attacks/Baltic 2 + 7 februari 1945

Post by igorr » 04 Mar 2019, 17:26

jringbom wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 11:47
Mabye a false contact?
Of course! I've think we done with this one.
jringbom wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 11:47
But on the 7 of february ther was another incident. Altough this time there the was no attack BUT they (destroyer Gävle) picked up sound from a submarine closing in on a swedish convoy. Since the revelutions were not constant they feared it was a sub preparing an attack. Since there wasnt an attack there is obviously no attack report.

My question is? Was there any soviet subs in the area that day?
This was close to Gotland. 10´west of Stenkyrkehuk.
It will be very helpful if you give time of this incident.
K-51 prepared to attack in 04.47 but recognized swedish "barges" and aborted south of Bornholm.
S-13 saw nothing near Stilo lighthaus, and same with SCHCH-407 near Brusterort and SCHCH-318 near Libau.
M-90 make transfer to base from position near Windau (from 01.55msk). Theoretically she may go close to Gotland, but only NE part of island.
There was no other soviet subs in sea.

jringbom

Post by jringbom » 05 Mar 2019, 10:37

Yep, your right about the 2 of feb. But I wanted to present the whole picture...

(What is remarkable is that at least 3 persons saw swells from a presumed torpedo. One of them a very expirienced seamen...)

I believe the presumed sub on the 7 of feb. is false as well.
I cant find the exact time though it was a day convoy since the all the traffic was in daytime since the sinking of the Hansa. So I would say about
mid day mabye a couple of hours later. But this occured close to Visby, on the NW side of Gotland.

From what I understand no german uboats in the area either.

I lot of researchers has interpret the incidents as proof that Soviet subs were deliberately aiming for Swedish steamers, some even say that it was specifically aiming for steamers from the company of Gotlands bolaget. (Me not being one of them) These false contacts/facts contradict that.

Thanks Igorr.

igorr

Post by igorr » 06 Mar 2019, 04:25

I think soviet commanders have no knowledge about swedish shipowners and how to differ ship with help of funnel markings

jringbom

Post by jringbom » 06 Mar 2019, 11:56

No, I would be suprised if they did. Thanks Igorr!

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”