Deputy People's Commissar of Defence - Order No.448

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Gary Kennedy

Deputy People's Commissar of Defence - Order No.448

Post by Gary Kennedy » 16 Mar 2019, 16:37

I was wondering if anyone knows whether this document is available in full online?

It lists the ammunition allowance for various Red Army weapons from around December 1943, and was pointed out to me a while ago when I asked about the ammunition scales for rifles.

https://www.vif2ne.org/forum/0/arhprint/2325177

The one linked to skips a few pages it seems. I've found a few transcriptions on pamyat-naroda that fill in a few blanks, but these all look to concentrate on the issues for Rifle Divisions, while the original document has some variations for motorised units.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary Kennedy

Re: Deputy People's Commissar of Defence - Order No.448

Post by Gary Kennedy » 12 Apr 2019, 14:08

Re the above, the original document includes a subheading for ammunition titled as follows;

в том числе неприкосновенный запас

The closest I can translate that as is 'including emergency supply'. I understand the layout of the table and the other headings, but this one I'm not sure of the meaning of. For example, a rifleman is shown as carrying 65 rounds ball and 5 rounds AP as the 'full combat load'. Of those figures 5 rounds ball and all the 5 rounds AP come under the 'emergency supply' heading. What is the importance of that distinction? Are they rounds that are only to be expended under direct orders from a command rank? It's confusing me somewhat because a few weapons types show all their ammunition under that heading, such as the DP LMG; 49 rounds ball and 49 rounds AP, all shown again in the 'emergency supply' column. The gunner has got to fire something, so is it just a way of saying only under the direction of a superior?

Any thoughts welcomed,

Gary

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”