Updates to Pamyat Naroda

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
ViKinG

Re: Updates to Pamyat Naroda

Post by ViKinG » 13 Oct 2019 07:41

Well, being a citizen in Canada, i'm assuming I will never have more than "regular" online access to the data found in the archives. There is such a gold mine of information available on Pamyat so its not a bad thing really. Perhaps one day I will become a trusted author and someone who has more access. We shall see!

Reigo2

Post by Reigo2 » 14 Oct 2019 12:01

I have been told that some files are not handed out because they contain General Staff maps (or their fragments) which are still classified.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 16 Oct 2019 11:58

Good point Art and Yuri,
However we do have to remember that there are other projects which are providing access to archives such as the Fond 500 archive of German captured documents which is a joint project between the German government and the RF Government http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/n ... estand-500

Also in the late 1990s Eastview took copies of vast amounts of material from the General Staff archive and even though university access is required to overcome the high cost of their material, there is quite a treasure trove.

I think that the important thing to remember is that even with the released material to date, there is enough for a lifetimes work to explore.

I have two ongoing projects and would like to know what the access is regarding the NKPS Soviet Railways and secondly Cavalry and Cavalry-Mechanised Groups.

I see that there is a new book out "Voiska Semena Mikhailovicha : istoriia organizatsionnogo stroitel'stva strategicheskoi konnitsy RKKA" Troops of Semen Mikhailovich: history of organizational construction of the strategic cavalry of the Red Army https://shop.eastview.com/results/item?sku=1269757B

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 16 Oct 2019 12:13

Yuri wrote:
12 Oct 2019 18:56
I started working in this archive more than twenty years ago since 1998. I was not and will not be a professional historian.
In 2007 or 2008 I helped one of members this forum (citizen the US) with writing doctoral dissertation on topic about struggle for city Novorossiysk in September 1942 year (in section gratitude this dissertation identifies a and my surname).
By the way I really appreciated your work on "Battle of Sovkhoz «Red Star» (Sovkhoz 79)" on the Chir River Battles of December 1942
:thumbsup:

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 16 Oct 2019 16:36

Der Alte Fritz wrote:
16 Oct 2019 11:58
I see that there is a new book out "Voiska Semena Mikhailovicha : istoriia organizatsionnogo stroitel'stva strategicheskoi konnitsy RKKA" Troops of Semen Mikhailovich: history of organizational construction of the strategic cavalry of the Red Army https://shop.eastview.com/results/item?sku=1269757B
This books deals exclusively with pre-war period, from what I can see.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”