Effective thickness of hemispherical cheeks on Soviet tanks

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Peasant

Effective thickness of hemispherical cheeks on Soviet tanks

Post by Peasant » 25 Jan 2020, 14:56

Inspired by this thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/ ... ulnerable/

Many sources on technical data on WW2 tanks limit themselves to specifying only the nominal thickness and noting "curved" besides. I wanted to see for myself how well these numbers describe the actual protection provided and I've made this drawing of the proportional sectioning of a hemisphere to study the angles presented from the front by this design.

As you can see, only less than 25% of total area presents an angle less than 30° and >50% over 45°, so the median value of effective thickness would be that of the vertical part angled at 45°, which would be about x1,75 - 2,00 times that value, for AP/APC projectiles.

Well, there you go. Let's begin the discussion.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: Effective thickness of hemispherical cheeks on Soviet tanks

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 02 Feb 2020, 02:54

I wonder if the French were looking at this in the 1930s. A lot of curves & acute angles on the new tank designs post 1935. Similarly the US Army was working curves & pronounced angles into turrets & hulls

Peasant

Re: Effective thickness of hemispherical cheeks on Soviet tanks

Post by Peasant » 04 Jun 2020, 14:48

I've been looking at the schematics of JS-1 turret and thinking how misleading the figure of "100mm" is. It implies that the protection level was similar to a flat 100mm plate. In actuality a large portion of area presented from the front is made up of extremely sloped sides, presenting a target impenetrable to any WW2 era anti-tank guns.
At 30° side angle, it's not as impressive but still most of the area presented has 100mm/30-40°.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”