"which was on a cruise, but was not stopping,"

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
jerryasher

"which was on a cruise, but was not stopping,"

Post by jerryasher » 04 Apr 2020, 13:02

This quote refers to the ship that brought Vasili Blucher to Canton in the fall of 1924 as chief military advisor to the Kuomintang (Guomindang). Can anyone identify? Many thanks.

GregSingh

Re: "which was on a cruise, but was not stopping,"

Post by GregSingh » 05 Apr 2020, 09:54

No luck so far with identifying a second Soviet ship, if he ever existed.

All sources still agree that Blucher arrived on Vorovskiy / Vorovsky.
viewtopic.php?t=206422

Here is a photo from Oct.1924 showing Sun Yat-sen and the captain Maximov on the deck of Vorovskiy in Guangzhou / Canton.

Canton Oct 1924.jpg
Canton Oct 1924.jpg (44.57 KiB) Viewed 3085 times

jerryasher

Post by jerryasher » 02 May 2020, 02:02

I apologize --did not catch that you had responded until today. I stand more informed. Thank you. I speculate Blucher caught up with the Vorovsky at Hong Kong. Can't see him being at sea from Arkangel since July.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 02 May 2020, 06:49

I speculate Blucher caught up with the Vorovsky at Hong Kong. Can't see him being at sea from Arkangel since July.
Here is one contradicting account: according to a 2003 Russian study, Blyukher arrived in Pekin/Beijing on September 27th.
Vorovsky left Singapore on September 21st and arrived in Hong Kong on the 26th.

When did Vorovsky leave Hong Kong? Was there enough time for Blyukher to come over from Pekin to Hong Kong to board the ship?
Perhaps the whole story with Blyukher being on Vorovsky is fictional and Blyukher arrived in Canton AFTER Vorovsky's arrival on the October 8th?
So we are back to your original question - looking for a ship from Shanghai? to Canton...
As Blyukher was traveling incognito with his wife pretending to be a tourist, he could be on any ship, not necessary a Soviet one...

Blyukher.jpg
Blyukher.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 2119 times

jerryasher

Post by jerryasher » 02 May 2020, 18:49

Hi Greg: I do not have answers. If Vasili is in Beijing on the 27th there is time for him and his wife to board Vorofsky in Hong Kong. Sailing time Hong Kong to Guangzhou is hours. From Beijing it would have been possible to go by train to Shanghai to board a ship and reach Guangzhou on the 7th. However that seems risky. Ships from Tianjin would have been less risky and could have made Shanghai, Hong Kong or Guangzhou in time. Many political activist traveled with false papers. The above photo is interesting Sun Yat Sen previously I have him inland hosting crew of Vorofsky for 10/10 day celebration. Zhou Enlai and Jiang Jieshi in Guangzhou. Sun only returning to Guangzhou much later in the month.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”