Among all of the Germans in the Russian Empire and Soviet Union, just how many non-Protestants were there?

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Futurist

Among all of the Germans in the Russian Empire and Soviet Union, just how many non-Protestants were there?

Post by Futurist » 14 Sep 2020 22:50

Among all of the Germans in the Russian Empire and Soviet Union, just how many non-Protestants were there? I have the impression that most of these Germans were Protestants but I'm wondering if there were ever any sizable non-Protestant German communities in the Russian Empire and/or Soviet Union--and, if so, where exactly?

Futurist

Re: Among all of the Germans in the Russian Empire and Soviet Union, just how many non-Protestants were there?

Post by Futurist » 16 Sep 2020 21:40

I found something in footnote #5 here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... cite_ref-5

"Gerhard Reichling estimated that out of 1,400,000 Germans deported from the USSR in the Flight and expulsion of Germans 1,119,000 were Protestant and 254,000 were Catholic"

This calculation, of course, fails to take into account the Germans whom Stalin failed to deport in 1941, such as the Black Sea Germans.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”