Identifing a medal

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Jeroen

Identifing a medal

Post by Jeroen » 13 Nov 2020, 10:37

Can someone help me with identifying this soviet medal? It has the name and face on it from Endel Puusepp: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endel_Puusepp

But I can not find any thing on it online. Where is this medal for and how can someone in the Netherlands have received it?
ussr1k.JPG
ussr2k.JPG

Interbellum

Re: Identifing a medal

Post by Interbellum » 13 Nov 2020, 13:12

This is not a medal. Just memorable badge, and not Soviet, but quite modern, from 2000s (a public organization, the Centre of National Glory, which mentioned on this badge, was created in 2002...)

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » 13 Nov 2020, 13:50

Thank you! So does it have a name? And how would you get one? Can you just buy one or was it given on a special occasion?

Interbellum

Post by Interbellum » 13 Nov 2020, 14:12

Dear Jeroen, I don’t know exactly. Trying to search in the web and to investigate your question 8-) ...
What I could find, that the charity program “Service to the Motherland: events and names” (mentioned on the badge) of this public organization started in 2005 in order to remember and commemorate the important persons in Russian history. Pilot E. Puusepp was included into this project on 30 May, 2007 (so the badge is from 2007 I guess) - see the corresponding page of this program: https://fap.ru/programs/sluzhenie-otech ... ich-pusep/
Last edited by Interbellum on 13 Nov 2020, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

Interbellum

Post by Interbellum » 13 Nov 2020, 14:30

Netherlands also mentioned there, so some person from Naval Museum could receive this badge during the event, of course.

“The program of celebrations on December 8, 2007 began with the opening of the exhibition "They Fought for Our Freedom", which was dedicated to the 65th anniversary of the start of negotiations on the opening of the Second Front. The exhibition is based on posters from the collection of the library of the Northwestern University (USA), the Naval Museum (Netherlands), the Russian National Library and the Central State Naval Museum (Russia). The exhibition was prepared by the Center of National Glory in cooperation with the Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography named after Peter the Great (Kunstkamera) of the Russian Academy of Sciences”

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » 13 Nov 2020, 19:25

Thanks again! I've send the Naval Museum an email. They might know more.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”