1918-1920 verse Czech Legion

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
jerryasher

1918-1920 verse Czech Legion

Post by jerryasher » 16 Jan 2021, 04:51

Can anyone pin down the dates that 1) czech legion opens spring offensive in 1919? 2) when it retreats 3)when did it break off combat operations and begin withdrawal to Vladivostok? 1919? 1920. Many thanks in advance. I worry my question lacks the precision I seek. I guess they were part of the "White Armies," and overall under a French commander? My major concern is when did they turn just to evacuate from Vladivostok. I may have follow up questions. Thank you --stay safe.

Nykyus

Re: 1918-1920 verse Czech Legion

Post by Nykyus » 08 Aug 2021, 03:08

Hello, this is my first time on the site.
The Czech Legion took part in battles as part of the White Army in the 1919 offensive in March-April. Directly commanded the Czech troops of Radolа Gajda.
The French General Janin, seconded by the Entente to the White Army, to lead the Czechoslovakians, established personal hostile relations with Admiral Kolchak, because Kolchak refused him to command all Russian troops. "Public opinion will not understand this and will be offended, - the admiral was reasonably indignant then. - The army has confidence in me; she would lose confidence if placed in the hands of her allies. She was created and fought without them. How can we now explain these demands, this interference? I only need boots, warm clothes, military supplies and ammunition. If they refuse to do this, then let them completely leave us alone. We will be able to get it ourselves, take it from the enemy. This is a civil war, not an ordinary one. The foreigner is not in a position to lead it. In order to ensure the strength of the government, the command must remain Russian throughout the war".
According to the White counterintelligence, Janin already at the beginning of 1919 conducted anti-White Guard activities. At the end of 1919 and by the beginning of 1920, during the retreat, having agreed in advance with the Bolsheviks, he attacked Kolchak's troops, seized the gold reserves of the Russian Empire and sailed across the Pacific Ocean.

jerryasher

Re: 1918-1920 verse Czech Legion

Post by jerryasher » 09 Aug 2021, 08:31

Thank you Nykus. Your quote of Kolchak shows a clear view of what he wanted. Again many thanks.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”