The fate of Lydia Litvyak - soviet female ace

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
DavidFrankenberg

The fate of Lydia Litvyak - soviet female ace

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 15 Feb 2021, 16:47

Hi,

Lydia Litviak was a female ace during WWII. She had a rose painted on her fuselage each time she shot down a german plane.
She also arbored a white Lily painted on the nose of her plane.

Suddenly she disappeared in 1943 during a flight over Dimitrievska in Ukraine. Some say she was taken prisoner by the Germans, survived the war and made a new life in Switzerland where she had 3 children and talked in a Swiss TV show in 2000. She was recognized by former female mates when watching it.

Some say she was shot down with another soviet plane piloted by Golishev (viewtopic.php?p=512798#p512798)
and died at about the same time. The rest of her plane was found in 1979. Her body is buried in Dimitrievka cemetery. The only female ace buried there.

Did anybody see the swiss TV show supposedly showing Litiviak ?
I find strange that she was recognized on TV by former russian mates. How did they see the swiss show ? Was it aired on russian TV ? Is it common to air western TV shows on russian TV ?
Is there any mean to see the images ?

Edward Kuz

Re: The fate of Lydia Litvyak - soviet female ace

Post by Edward Kuz » 16 Feb 2021, 00:42

Hi,
Please find my answers below:

Did anybody see the swiss TV show supposedly showing Litiviak ? - not me.

I find strange that she was recognized on TV by former russian mates. How did they see the swiss show ? - Satellite TV or IP TV possible but not popular.

Was it aired on russian TV ? - probably no.

Is it common to air western TV shows on russian TV ? - No

igorr

Post by igorr » 16 Feb 2021, 04:58

DavidFrankenberg wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 16:47
Some say she was shot down with another soviet plane piloted by Golishev (viewtopic.php?p=512798#p512798)
and died at about the same time. The rest of her plane was found in 1979. Her body is buried in Dimitrievka cemetery. The only female ace buried there.
This is very old and very erroneously statement. Golishev actually was shot down and died 21.7.43. Litvyak was also shot down this day but survive. She was lost only 1.8.43 near Marinovka, where her aircraft was find later.
Good article about Litvyak: https://warspot.ru/8472-pobedy-i-porazh ... ii-litvyak

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 16 Feb 2021, 19:04

Thank you Igor.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”