German Luftwaffe Jagdwaffe units against VVS KBF Baltic Fleet 22.6.1942-21.6.1943?

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
tramonte

German Luftwaffe Jagdwaffe units against VVS KBF Baltic Fleet 22.6.1942-21.6.1943?

Post by tramonte » 29 Nov 2021, 15:03

I have this page http://stsokol.ru/vvs_tsifra/gl_6/6.260.html suggesting combat losses aircraft of VVS KBF Baltic Fleet during period 22 June 1942 to 21 June 1943. Total 256 aircraft ( 4 torpedo-dive bombers, 37 bombers, 13 MBR-2s, 59 Il-2s, 143 fighters). However i have no idea which part of those losses were against German Luftwaffe units. Most of all i don't really know which Jagdwaffe or night fighter units did have claims in Baltic Sea against VVS KBF.
"Military history is nothing but a tissue of fictions and legends, only a form of literary invention; reality counts for very little in such affair."

- Gaston de Pawlowski, Dans les rides du front

Art
Forum Staff

Re: German Luftwaffe Jagdwaffe units against VVS KBF Baltic Fleet 22.6.1942-21.6.1943?

Post by Art » 29 Nov 2021, 18:13

These numbers stand for total write-offs to combat reasons (including missing in combat sorties). Actually, the only way to know where and how the losses were suffered is to scrutinize individual airplanes. VVS KBF was heavily involved in support of ground troops in the Leningrad/Volkhov Front area. It won't be a mistake to assume that most losses were suffered there.

tramonte

Re: German Luftwaffe Jagdwaffe units against VVS KBF Baltic Fleet 22.6.1942-21.6.1943?

Post by tramonte » 29 Nov 2021, 19:58

Art wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 18:13
These numbers stand for total write-offs to combat reasons (including missing in combat sorties). Actually, the only way to know where and how the losses were suffered is to scrutinize individual airplanes. VVS KBF was heavily involved in support of ground troops in the Leningrad/Volkhov Front area. It won't be a mistake to assume that most losses were suffered there.
So we must first make sharp definition: there were no VVS RKKA (or PVO) aircraft operating in Baltic Sea area. It was with very very few exceptions only KBF's area of responsibility. Was there VVS RKKA units in Oranienbaum or was it operation area only for KBF? And yes, i do agree that most of KBF's aircraft combat losses must have been against Luftwaffe/German forces. Finnish pilots may have had lots of claims but their true air victories have been far more "moderate".
"Military history is nothing but a tissue of fictions and legends, only a form of literary invention; reality counts for very little in such affair."

- Gaston de Pawlowski, Dans les rides du front

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”