Glantz - Battle for the Dnepr

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Biber

Glantz - Battle for the Dnepr

Post by Biber » 09 Nov 2022, 19:40

I recently came across a reference to an unpublished book manuscript by David Glantz titled "The Battle for the Dnepr." (Not to be confused with the book "The Battle of the Dniepr," by the way.) Does anybody by chance have a copy that could track down a reference for me? I do have a specific page number. Barring this, might anyone have a good email contact for Glantz? (PM please.)

I come to this reference by way of a pdf of copious research notes compiled by Craig Luther for an apparent "Kiev project" that I stumbled across on the web. The Information I am trying to get concerns the Soviets' crossing of the Pripyat River north of Chernobyl on 25 September 1943 and, together with 3 partisan brigades, capturing the village of Karpilovka on the 26th. Luther references Glantz's "The Battle for the Dnepr," p. 575.

Actually, I'd like to get a look at the whole book to see what light it can shed on the period of September and October '43 in the vicinity north of Chernobyl.

I appreciate any help or insight that anyone can give.

Der Alte Fritz

Re: Glantz - Battle for the Dnepr

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 11 Nov 2022, 00:15

Does not sound very likely. David Glantz publishes all his material, either through his formal publishers, Frank Cass, University of Kansas, etc or through his private publishing at http://www.glantzbooks.com/. So the idea that there is an unpublished manuscript floating about, is highly unlikely.
More likely to be a less than professional reference.
Given that David has devoted the last decade and more to the study of the Stalingrad operations, I think you would need to look much earlier in the canon to find materiel on the 1943 events around Kiev. The most likely candidate are the From the Dnepr to the Vistula: Soviet Offensive Operations, November 1943-August 1944 which at 750 pages is well within your page range.

Biber

Post by Biber » 11 Nov 2022, 02:01

Thank you, I'll look into the reference you offered.

What you say about an unpublished ms makes sense, however, i really have no cause to doubt it. I believe that Luther may have collaborated with Glantz on a book so Luther having an unpublished ms of Glantz is not beyond the realm of possibility surely. And it's a sizeable ms too, at some 900+ pages as I recall. (The copy in question is among Lither's papers at Stanford.) I would sooner believe it is the ms for an aborted project, the research for which I can only hope was included in another book. Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking foe in the book you suggested. Thank you again.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 11 Nov 2022, 10:50

That's not how publishing works, I am afraid and having worked for one of Glantz's publishers for fifteen year up to 2005, I find it unlikely.
It is more likley that it is a Luther project and that Glantz supplied some material for it, which he does quite a lot for other researchers. He known collaborators are people like Jonathan House and in those books they are co-authors. Much more likely to be Luthers effort. Why don't you ask him as he is on FB https://www.facebook.com/people/Craig-L ... 774157638/

Biber

Post by Biber » 11 Nov 2022, 15:33

Not sure I know what you mean by "that's not how publishing works," but it's a moot point, really. I'm happy to defer.

Well, I'll be. Thank you for the facebook lead. I don't do social media so it wouldn't occur to me to even go there. Actually, I had been under the impression that Luther was, well, let's say, "less than thriving" since 2015. (In my defense I took the dates indicated in the Hoover Archive repository of his papers to be his dates. I should know better!) I am chagrinned, to say the least. Thank you again.

otlichnik

Post by otlichnik » 12 Nov 2022, 01:38

There is information on the late-summer 1943 battles around Chernobyl in David M. Glantz's self-published "Forgotten Battles of the German-Soviet War(1941-1945), Vol.V: The Summer-Fall Campaign (1 July-31 December 1943), (Part Two), 2000.

Unfortunately, this work is also hard to find.

Shawn

Biber

Post by Biber » 12 Nov 2022, 02:08

Thank you. This is most helpful. Given the apparent absence of works in Glantz's oeuvre that outwardly cover the period of September-October 1943 (which "Battle for the Dnepr" likely would have covered), I suspected the information might have been incorporated into other volumes. I'll see what I can find of the volumes you suggest. Fingers crossed.

Biber

Post by Biber » 12 Nov 2022, 16:03

Update -

Made contact with Craig Luther (who is most definitely thriving*) and he's forwarding my queries. Hopefully they'll be able to fill in the blanks for me.

* if one may be wondering why that particular choice of words - My wife worked in a genetics lab years ago and whenever mice died in the lab it was noted as "failure to thrive."

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”