Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Vasilyev
Member
Posts: 164
Joined: 30 Jul 2020 03:55
Location: USA

Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Post by Vasilyev » 22 Jun 2023 20:32

I stumbled on this interesting photo-album documenting the participants and exhibitions at 8th Guards Army's January 1946 conference on the July-August 1944 Kovel-Vistula (Lublin-Brest) operation:

https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=114297410

The documents detailing the conference's planning and the 400-page report it produced are also online!

User avatar
Orlov
Member
Posts: 1035
Joined: 21 Feb 2003 20:15
Location: Europe

Re: Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Post by Orlov » 23 Jun 2023 21:35

An excellent find - congratulations Vasilyev!
So the Brest-Siedlce operation was actually called the Kowel-Vistula operation.
Bestreg Orlov

Art
Forum Staff
Posts: 6998
Joined: 04 Jun 2004 19:49
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Post by Art » 25 Jun 2023 19:56

Vasilyev wrote:
22 Jun 2023 20:32
The documents detailing the conference's planning and the 400-page report it produced are also online!
That's the report itself:
https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=133344321

Vasilyev
Member
Posts: 164
Joined: 30 Jul 2020 03:55
Location: USA

Re: Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Post by Vasilyev » 26 Jun 2023 19:38

Art wrote:
25 Jun 2023 19:56
Vasilyev wrote:
22 Jun 2023 20:32
The documents detailing the conference's planning and the 400-page report it produced are also online!
That's the report itself:
https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=133344321
Out of many useful tidbits, it provides an extra bit of evidence that planning for the operation started as early as April - 4/26 is given. Rokossovsky met with Stalin in the latter’s office on 4/24, and Shtemenko’s memoirs have several paragraphs about Rokossovsky’s proposals from April.

The original Kovel plan was part of the Belarusian operation, but had to be scrapped because the forces weren’t available. Rokossovsky’s focus on the Bobruisk operation delayed further planning, though a version of the Kovel operation was presented to the GSh in late-May.
Orlov wrote:
23 Jun 2023 21:35
An excellent find - congratulations Vasilyev!
So the Brest-Siedlce operation was actually called the Kowel-Vistula operation.
Bestreg Orlov
Thank you! With how many changes occurred during the operation’s planning and execution, it’s no surprise that contemporary AARs use a variety of different naming schemes. Kovel-Vistula, Lublin-Warsaw, Brest-Siedlce, and so on.

I haven’t found exactly when the canon name of Lublin-Brest was decided on, though it’s there by the early-mid 1950s. DAF probably knows, I’ll ask him.

Art
Forum Staff
Posts: 6998
Joined: 04 Jun 2004 19:49
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Post by Art » 02 Jul 2023 09:37

Vasilyev wrote:
26 Jun 2023 19:38
Out of many useful tidbits, it provides an extra bit of evidence that planning for the operation started as early as April - 4/26 is given. Rokossovsky met with Stalin in the latter’s office on 4/24, and Shtemenko’s memoirs have several paragraphs about Rokossovsky’s proposals from April.

The original Kovel plan was part of the Belarusian operation, but had to be scrapped because the forces weren’t available. Rokossovsky’s focus on the Bobruisk operation delayed further planning, though a version of the Kovel operation was presented to the GSh in late-May.
Rokossovsky was ordered to present his plan of operations on 2 April 1944, when he took over troops of the former 2 Belorussian Front
http://docs.historyrussia.org/ru/nodes/ ... e/1/zoom/6

I suppose he did and his presentation in Stavka was a further discussion of this plan. It appears that Rokossovsky and his staff officers spent several days in Moscow in late April working on the plan of operations as seen from notes on this map:
https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=152333091

FORBIN Yves
Member
Posts: 282
Joined: 23 Aug 2017 10:57
Location: FRANCE

Re: Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Post by FORBIN Yves » 02 Jul 2023 20:41

Very good !

Vasilyev
Member
Posts: 164
Joined: 30 Jul 2020 03:55
Location: USA

Re: Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Post by Vasilyev » 03 Jul 2023 05:41

Art wrote:
02 Jul 2023 09:37
Vasilyev wrote:
26 Jun 2023 19:38
Out of many useful tidbits, it provides an extra bit of evidence that planning for the operation started as early as April - 4/26 is given. Rokossovsky met with Stalin in the latter’s office on 4/24, and Shtemenko’s memoirs have several paragraphs about Rokossovsky’s proposals from April.

The original Kovel plan was part of the Belarusian operation, but had to be scrapped because the forces weren’t available. Rokossovsky’s focus on the Bobruisk operation delayed further planning, though a version of the Kovel operation was presented to the GSh in late-May.
Rokossovsky was ordered to present his plan of operations on 2 April 1944, when he took over troops of the former 2 Belorussian Front
http://docs.historyrussia.org/ru/nodes/ ... e/1/zoom/6

I suppose he did and his presentation in Stavka was a further discussion of this plan. It appears that Rokossovsky and his staff officers spent several days in Moscow in late April working on the plan of operations as seen from notes on this map:
https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=152333091
Boikov's deputy signs for him on operational reports from 4/22-24, after which his signature reappears. Rokossovsky meets with Stalin on the evening of 4/24. It seems like the meeting parallels the much bigger conference in late-May where the final details of the Belarussian operation where worked out. Rokossovksy presented his Kovel plan, the same as the April plan, sometime after 5/23 to the general staff without comments. Then you have a third round of planning which produces the rejected variant to advance Lublin-Pulawy-Deblin-Warsaw on 6/20 and the final approved plan on 6/23, for a strike against Brest-Siedlce.

The front wasn't able to receive the reinforcements it repeatedly requested until June, and the 8th Guards Army and 2nd Tank Army only finished their transfer after June 20th.

In April 47th and 69th Army received as many replacements as the rest of the front combined, and they received significantly more than the front's right wing in June.

https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=211325919

User avatar
Orlov
Member
Posts: 1035
Joined: 21 Feb 2003 20:15
Location: Europe

Re: Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Post by Orlov » 03 Jul 2023 21:35

A joy to read such an interesting discussion. Congratulations for Art & Vasilyev.
Interesting file to Kowel'44
BA-MA RL 10/995
Erlebnisbericht von Feldwebel Heinz Grösgen nach seinem Abschuss am 14. Juli 1944 im Raum Kowel - Sarny - Luninec 1944
Name Grösgen, Heinz
Benutzungsort
Freiburg

Vasilyev
Member
Posts: 164
Joined: 30 Jul 2020 03:55
Location: USA

Re: Photo-album of Conference on the Kovel-Vistula Operation, January 1946

Post by Vasilyev » 15 Jul 2023 16:11

Orlov wrote:
03 Jul 2023 21:35
A joy to read such an interesting discussion. Congratulations for Art & Vasilyev.
Interesting file to Kowel'44
BA-MA RL 10/995
Erlebnisbericht von Feldwebel Heinz Grösgen nach seinem Abschuss am 14. Juli 1944 im Raum Kowel - Sarny - Luninec 1944
Name Grösgen, Heinz
Benutzungsort
Freiburg
Thank you! There’s also an interesting RL report on the experience providing the city air supply.

Kovel really was in a terrible supply position. The OKH and AG North Ukraine kept trying to bug LVI Panzer Corps about launching an attack out of the bridgehead (Operation Blucher). But Hossbach wasn’t keen on it.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”