kornilov shock regiment/white russians

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Docent P

Post by Docent P » 22 Sep 2003, 15:05

>what role did general brusilov play in the white army?

Brusilov never served in the White Army. In 1920 he joined the Reds but never commanded any Red unit as well (the Comrades were not so dull to trust him). And Brusilov was lucky to die in 1926 when the GPU had already noticed him as the chief of an Anti-Soviet conspiracy. All Brusilov's friends together with other former officers serving in the Red Army were arrested and executed soon after his death in the famous so called "Vesna" (Spring) case.

>does anyone have photos of general brusilov?

>what role did any of the romanov grand dukes play in the white civil war?

He played no significant role as well as never commanded any unit. He spent the most part of the Civil War abroad spreading monarchist declarations. The last time he was explelled from Crimea (as I have already said) by Wrangel when the duke was suspected in organizing pro-monarchist conspiracy within the White officers community.

>the romanov's seemed to be the leaders of the white expatriate russian community in the 1920's, i would think that indicated some influence over at least a portion of the white officer corps.

The Romanovs never played any significant role in the White emigration (at least in their main organization - the Russian United Military Union). Wrangel strongly banned for the Union's member to participate in any political organization (including monarchist one as well).

>i remember the reasoning behind the czar's murder was lenin deciding that if the whites freed nicholas II from bolshevik captivity it would provide a living banner for the whites to rally around.

Which proved to be complete BS. The Reds would have had absolutely no problems to evacuate the Tzar's family if they had wished.

--------------------
>...maybe some of our Russian speaking members can translate what's written on it:

The 4th Don Regiment Commander, October 2nd, 1921.

Identity Paper.

The holder of it is really Junior Uryadnik (Warrant Officer) of my regiment Piotr Golembiovsky, born on Sep 13, 1900. Which is confirmed by signature and stamp.

Regiment Commander Sotnik (Lieutenant) _______(signature)

Regiment Adjutant Khorunzhy (Sergeant) _______

Retro

Post by Retro » 23 Sep 2003, 18:35

My mistake Cheff of Kornilov Shock Division wos gen. maj Skoblin and looks like this

Retro

Post by Retro » 23 Sep 2003, 19:13

Docent P thanks a lot for "white" links ...
to day I see them, and their links... and I'm find white songs MP3!!!
again thanks a lot ...

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 23 Sep 2003, 23:16

retro, thank you for the photo. did the mp3 link have the kornilov regiment song you posted?

could you provide a direct link to the mp3 site?

Retro

Post by Retro » 24 Sep 2003, 09:58

joel pacheco
1.there are all rusian sites
first http://officers.newmail.ru/foto1.htm - with white oficers galery, if you check .jpg properties you will se officers names in writen by latin alfabet.

http://ruek.narod.ru/whitemp3/valaam_my ... ojdiom.mp3 or
http://www.ifs.ru/zloslov/sounds/march2.mp3- (mono)or
http://www.ifs.ru/zloslov/sounds/march1.mp3 (stereo)
white army march (We bravely into battle go)

http://ruek.narod.ru/whitemp3/zanna_dikoe_pole.mp3 orhttp://www.ifs.ru/zloslov/sounds/wild_f1.mp3- wild field

http://www.ifs.ru/zloslov/sounds/versty.mp3 or
cossacks beck at home…
http://ruek.narod.ru/whitemp3/zanna_pos ... _ataka.mp3 or
http://www.ifs.ru/zloslov/sounds/attack.mp3 - after battel

Docent P

Post by Docent P » 24 Sep 2003, 11:33

>Docent P thanks a lot for "white" links ...

And I can add - militera.lib.ru has just completed publishing Denikin's memoirs, all five volumes are available now.

>to day I see them, and their links... and I'm find white songs MP3!!!

Which I had no idea about :) .

>again thanks a lot ...

I'm glad to help.

>My mistake Cheff of Kornilov Shock Division wos gen. maj Skoblin

IMHO it deserves to be mentioned here also.

This guy provided the darkest and the most shameful page in the glorious Kornilov's units' history. As far as I remember he was the only traitor in the "Coloured" units. In emigration he got married to a famous Russian singer Mariya Plevistkaya - who had been already recruited by the GPU. With her help the GPU easily engaged Skoblin. This scum took active part in the assassinations of Vrangel, Grand Duke Nicholay Nicholayevich, kidnapping of Kutepov and Miller and attempt of assassination of Denikin. Despite he was disclosed by the White Counter Intelligence as a traitor already in the early 30s he had been remaining intact because no-one could even suppose that the famous brave commanders of the legendary Kornilov's Division was a GPU spy and dirty traitor.

In result the French police determined him as a spy basing on their own sources and decided to arrest in 1938. But in the last moment he managed to escape to Spain where he joined one of the Communist units led by Soviet officers. Skoblin introduced himself and asked a political asylum in the Soviet Union. In response the Comrades shot down their unlucky spy - simply because he became useless to them anymore. Plevitskaya was arrested by the French police, sentenced for 20 years and died in prison (either killed herself) in Paris in 1940 (just several days before the Germans came in).
-----------------

And this is a good Whites' song - Officers, in Arkady Severny's performance:

http://www.severnij.dp.ua/sound/ofic.mp3

Retro

Post by Retro » 26 Sep 2003, 13:16

In diferend ways White Aviation

Winter 1919-20 liejtnant pilot Seweryn Sacewicz nierbuy his plane (Nieuport 16 c1 from Moscow factory Rux) on the front during service in 2nd Don Areopane Squadron/division (Denikin Army)
Winter 1919-20 2nd Don Areopane Squadron/division (Denikin Army)

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 26 Sep 2003, 15:51

"Kornilov shock regiment" badges and medals
Attachments
KornB.jpg
KornB.jpg (19.53 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
chatalga.jpg
chatalga.jpg (20.86 KiB) Viewed 3893 times

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 26 Sep 2003, 15:55

more white russian commemorative medals
Attachments
Lientz.jpg
Lientz.jpg (100.52 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
ROVS.jpg
ROVS.jpg (152.43 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
ROVSrev.jpg
ROVSrev.jpg (112.73 KiB) Viewed 3889 times

Retro

Post by Retro » 26 Sep 2003, 16:43

Hmm last cross is for masaqre in Lienz in 1945 (civill cossack was atakt by britisch soldiers) there is no simple conection with Kornilov. (but in Lienz where big names fro 1’st cuterrevolution i.g. gen. Krasnov (ataman of Don Cossacks), gen. Shkuro (Kuban Cossacks Hero)
more on this adress
http://holycross-hermitage.com/pages/Or ... ssacks.htm

tyskaorden

Post by tyskaorden » 26 Sep 2003, 20:03

Docent P wrote:>the unit was raised in august 1917, but kornilov never commanded it.

A little incorrect. There we must separate the Kornilov Shock Batfalions (created in June 1917 within the Russian Army) and Kornilov Regiment (created in Feb 1918 as a part of the Voluntary (White) Army). About the history: in spring 1917 there was issued a very stupid law that the soldiers are allowed to elect their commanders and fire unpleasant ones. Of course the most disciplined and exacting officers used to be fired in the first turn. The Army HQs were overcrowded by fired officers - the best officers of the Russian Army. Kornilov ordered them to join in special voluntary units, later called the Battalions of Death (that's where the sculls came from), Shock Battalions, Voluntary Batfalions and at last - Kornilov Battalions. Their symbols were sculls on hands and red-black flags. In average every corps had one such battalion that was the only battle-worthy unit, surrounded by the crowds of pacifist-minded demoralized soldiers led by the pro-Bolshevik and Leftist "committees". Shock Battalions carried out the most difficult tasks of the war in 1917.
It's correct following the "March Revolution" and the abdication of Nicholas II, the fighting will of the Army had deteoriated. This however did not apply to all and there where several who wanted to continue to fight. And in preparation of the summer offensive of 1917 the "Kerenski Offensive" several volunteer units was formed and named Storm/Shock Battalions, Battalions of Death and the like. The insignia of the Bns. of Death consisted of a Death's Head laureated around the skull and placed on two crossed swords. Shock and Storm Bns. had an insignia consisting of an Death's Head with two crossed bones beneath. Insignia containing Death's Heads are rather common amongst military units whising to show thier death-defiant bravery. Around 30 of these battalions was formed and many performed with great valour. Among these was the 1st Women's Death Battalion of 1 000 women raised in Petrograd during May 1917 at the suggestion of Sgt. (later Lt.) Maria Botchkareva, who had served at the front since 1915. It took part in the "Kerenski offensive" sustaining heavy casualties. The surviving women provided the Provisional Government's last line of defence outside the Winter Palace during the Bolshevik Coup in November 1917.They where treated very badly by the victorious Bolsheviks and several where put to death.

Another of these units was the 1st Shock/Storm detachment with two battalions of 1 000 men each, three Machine Gun teams (8 MG:s in each team) and one foot and one mounted scout unit each with 16 men. The unit was formed in the South-Western Front which was commanded by General L.G. Kornilov. The Detachment performed well during the "Kerenski offensive" but suffered many casualties. One of the first actions taken by Gen. Kornilov, when he became Supreme-Commander- in-Chief on 1 August 1917 was to reorganize the 1st Shock Detachment into the Kornilov Storm Regiment of four battalions. Following an action at 16 August every men in the regiment was recommended for the highest Russian award of bravery the St. George's Cross. After Kornilovs failed "coup" in September 1917 the Regiment was renamed the 1st Russian Shock and later the Slav Shock Detachment. The Slav designation perhaps to honour the unit's Czech members.

General Kornilov was later to escape from detention to the territory of the Don-Cossacks. There he and general Mikhail Alexeyev, a former Chief -of-Staff of the Russian Imperial Army and April-June 1917 Supreme Commander of all Russian Forces, announced the creation of the Volunteer Army, with Alexeyev as Commander-in-Chief. The Kornilov Shock Regiment was recreated and was later to expand to a Division the General Kornilov Shock Division, considered one of the best white formations. General Kornilov himself was killed in action at Ekaterionodar on 13 April 1918.

//Tyskaorden alias Marcus Karlsson

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 26 Sep 2003, 22:26

the medals that korbius posted were at my request, so blame me if they are improperly descrbed.(blame my error) not everything on this thread was meant to be strictly kornilov, also meant for the white russian army as a whole.

i found the kornilov badge and medals on a russian language website that offered no translation.

i have had difficulty posting photos here so i've been having korbius do it for me.(thank you again korbius)

Retro

Post by Retro » 01 Oct 2003, 18:41

Anather White Photos
Achtung Panzer
White tank in Carycyn 1919
tanks from 4th Depetschment of 1st tank Batalion in Rostov on Don
it’s from
http://www.whiteforce.newmail.ru/phtankim.htm

kornilov regiment in Galipopli 1921
2 infatiry division Sothi 1919
White Forces cavallry in Charkov 1919
its from
http://www.whiteforce.newmail.ru/vsurph.htm#vsurph

white armored cars in carycyn
Horsed Altylery in Charkov
Altilery of Russian Army on the position Crimea 1920
it’s from http://www.whiteforce.newmail.ru/voorugph.htm#voorugph

Retro

Post by Retro » 17 Oct 2003, 14:52

Mybe not exaclly in topic
Some Polisch Cavallry on With side during Civil War in Russia

1st Uhlan Regiment from 5th Siberian Division
Regiment was forming between july 1918 in Omsk (capital od Siberia) and dended in december 1918 in Buguslan. Regimnet play the role of cavalery in troops division and was under comand of 5th Siberian Division Chef. In May od 1919 regiment has 26 officers 4 medics, 52 unteroficers, and 423 uhlans. Soldiers was polisch nationality POW from Austro – hungarian Army and from Polisch Corps in Russian Army
Armed was generaly Russain (sabers and lances), Japanies (Arisaca carabiens), France ( MG Chauchat) and Amarican (HMG Lewis). Thay had about 286 very well horses.
Regiment fight by separate sqadrons (3). Generally cavering transsyberian rayllway. Thay had havy fight in area Novo Mikolaievska and Krasnoiarsk. Without support from aliants and from reason of havy loosys, climat they surreds in 10 januar of 1920
14in Jazlovietz Uhlan Regiment (name until 1919 and Jazloviets battle)
Formed in 1917 in Kuban (stanica Paschkowska) until decembere of 1918 was a part of 4 troop devision comandet by gen. L. Zeligovski
When regiment went out of Odessa had 98 officers 630 unterofficers and uhlans and 700 horses. Officers and soldiers came from Russian army and Polisch Corps in Russian Army – thay where all voluntiers.
Regimnet was armed general in Russian and german Wapon. Uniform was Russian. Regiment has wery good Russain Cavalry Horses.
Regiment began fight in Kuban as a part of Voluntier Army. Then fight under France Comand and cam with 4 troops divison by Romania to Poland

Retro

Post by Retro » 30 Dec 2003, 21:33

I finde it in net

19 May 1917, under order from the 8th Army Command, General Lieutenant L.G.
Kornilov was to form the 1st Shock Detachment (later the Kornilov Shock
Detachment) from volunteers. This was completed by the middle of June.
From 1 August, the detachment numbered such that it reformed to become the
Kornilov Shock Regiment. On 10 September it was renamed as the 1st Russian
Shock (Regiment) and on 30 September, renamed again as the 1st Slavic Shock
Regiment. After the official dissolution of the Regiment, part of its
members made their way to the Don. New Cherkassk, where in the end of
December 1917, the Regiment was re-established under the name of the
Slavic-Kornilov Shock Regiment. In 1918, they were labelled the Kornilov
Shock Regiment. In 1918, as part of the Dobrovol’cheskiy (Volunteer) Army,
the Kornilov Shock Regiment already took part in the 1st “Ledyaniy” and 2nd
“Kuban” Campaigns and in January 1919, was transferred to the Donbass.

In July, the 2nd and in August, the 3rd Shock Regiments were formed. All
were part of the Kornilov Shock Brigade and that became the Kornilov Shock
Division. In it, on 10 November, was formed the Artillery of General
Kornilov Brigade. In December in Azov, the 4th Kornilov Shock Regiment was
formed, but almost completely destroyed in battle at the end of February
1920 and never reformed. In the campaign of 1920, the Kornilov Shock
Division took an active part in many battles. After the evacuation of the
Crimea in Gallipoli (Turkey) 14 (27) November. From the Kornilov Shock
Regiment Artillerymen, the Kornilov Artillery Division was formed.

The Project of the first uniform for the Kornilov Shock Detachment was
established 31 July 1917 by Kornilov himself, previously from the high
command. The complete uniform for officers consisted of a khaki wheel cap,
long coat, and pants with white highlights. The colored furazhka (wheel
cap) had a black crown and two color black/red (lower upper) band and
off-white edging. Silver shoulder boards had black highlights (mounts) and
black/red space. Tabs on the great coat also were black/red with white
mounts. Soldiers usually had the Army uniform black/red shoulder boards
(see drawing). The cockade on the headgear carried the skull and crossbones
and on the shoulder boards was the letter “K”. The sleeve emblem was sky
blue with embroidery of the skull and crossbones, name “Kornilovtsi”,
crossed swords, and an exploding grenade. This patch was only worn on the
left sleeve. On the right sleeve was the black & red “shock” chevron.
With indistinct changes (found in the wheel caps with the red crown and
black band, and the disappearance of the skull and crossbones), these
uniforms were worn throughout the RCW. In 1918-1920, some didn’t have the
letter on their shoulder boards, the sleeve patch drawings were varied, the
white mounts on the blouses and long coats were completely arbitrary.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”