white russian army commander

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Balrog

white russian army commander

Post by Balrog » 24 Aug 2003, 01:15

i am looking for information on general pavel bermont avalov. he was a white russian army general, and i have been unable to find much information about him. i believe he was fighting in the baltic republics because i found a baltic banking company website( i think it was estonia) that had some white russian currency issued by general bermont avalov. any photos of him and record of his czarist military service would be helpful.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 24 Aug 2003, 01:47

Prince Pavel Avalov-Bermondt(1884-1973) was a Colonel in the Czar's army.He commanded White Russian forces in Latvia in 1919,including the German/Russian 'Freiwillige Russische Westarmee'.The later was a mixed Freikorps/Russian force formed in September 1919 when Von der Goltz's men refused to withdraw from Latvia,the deadline given by the Allies being August 1919.Avalov-Bermondt later fled to Germany;in 1921 he was trying to raise a 'White Russian' volunteer force to assist the Freikorps in Silesia against the Poles.
Attachments
Avalov-Bermondt.jpg
Avalov-Bermondt.jpg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 24 Aug 2003, 03:38

so did the white russian army,german freikorps, and baltic germans unite to crush the latvian republic? what year did bermont avalov flee russia/baltics? did prince bermont avalov ever reach the rank of general?

Durand

Post by Durand » 24 Aug 2003, 04:57

Hallo Joel,

As a starting point try the following thread:

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12115

I think it will answer some of your questions, even those on Latvia.

Regards,

Durand

Docent P

Post by Docent P » 25 Aug 2003, 08:18

And I must add that Bermondt Avalov had hardly any links with the Russian white forces. Really he was one of many adventurists, "saviours of Russia" who used to ask money from everybody for establishing their own "voluntary units" but really all their "units" were relaxing in the restaurants.

B.-A. was declared out of law by the NW Army Commander General Yudenich. If he ever had got to the White forces's location he would have been immediately hung up.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”