Russian Tank Aces

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
TISO

Post by TISO » 17 Jan 2008, 22:08

This sounds like a case of "the Germans have theirs so we must have ours too" yeah right!!!
I would say it's more like:
Q: "What kind of tanks did you destroy?"
A: "Angual and bloody big."
Q: "Must be Tigers then."
A: "Must be. They were big"
The Russians had a lot fewer targets to shoot at then the Germans, which leads me to believe that these figures were invented by some very bright stalin-heads!
Not really. There were hude numbers of light tank in 1941/42/43 era. Remember Kolobanov's ambush killed mostly PzKpfw-II's and 38(t)'s.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Re: Russian Tank Aces

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 13 Dec 2009, 17:14

10 Soviet tankers were granted the title of "Hero of the Soviet Union" for the Polish Campaign.

KeltischWerWolf

Post by KeltischWerWolf » 04 Apr 2014, 04:22

I have the books by Wolfgang Schneider Tigers in Combat I and II, and a lot of the Tigers claimed by the Russian Aces were still accounted for like the Tiger II's.... Russians were known for fudging the numbers of their kills on a regular basis.

TISO

Post by TISO » 04 Apr 2014, 21:02

KeltischWerWolf wrote:I have the books by Wolfgang Schneider Tigers in Combat I and II, and a lot of the Tigers claimed by the Russian Aces were still accounted for like the Tiger II's.... Russians were known for fudging the numbers of their kills on a regular basis.
And germans didn't? Please do provide sources for your claim.

http://english.battlefield.ru/the-royal-opponent.html
According to the recent book "Germany's Tiger Tanks: Tiger I & II: Combat Tactics" by Thomas Jentz, a week after the battle, on August 21st, 1944, the 501st sPzAbt had twelve intact King Tigers, another 27 required repairs, and six were lost. Jentz's figures are doubtful. On the battlefields near Ogledów, Mokre, and Szyldów, twelve King Tiger tanks were left behind. From the archive records currently available, it appears that the 501st Battalion was routed, and three tanks with turret numbers 102, 502, and 234, were captured intact.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 06 Apr 2014, 16:57

As far as accuracy of kill claims is concerned, the German's military claim systems -- air sea and ground -- seem to have been far more accurate over all that any of the Allied countries.

The least accurate claim system was not Stalin's Soviet Union, but those of Democratic America's Eight Air Force heavy bomber units.

Take those B-17 and B-24 heavy bomber claims of German fighter kills and divide them by 10.

Longball

Re:

Post by Longball » 12 Mar 2019, 06:41

"Imad --- By the way, are there any books on Russian tank aces?"

There is a web site that has about 50 stories of Russian tankers as told in their own words. Great, great, reading. Hard to stop reading. Not at all like 'Kurkowski"(sp).

The site is:

"I REMEMBER, I REMEMBER - Memories of veterans of the Great Patriotic War"

https://iremember.ru/en/ May have to click on 'eng'(English) at top of page.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”