Some images of Soviet Partisans

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Harri

Post by Harri » 25 May 2003, 00:20

I think this has already been discussed, Leo. Don't start again with that Leningrad stuff. It's nonsense like I have proved earlier.

Also the "Finnish atrocities" have been discussed earlier. We have heard all your arguments, there is nothing new. I just remind you that the population in East Karelia did not represent "normal population" but old or sick men, women and kids. Due to long starvation and bad decease situation during USSR rule people were in bad condition when Finns arrived. This alone explains most of the "atrocities". Our only mistake was that we responded too late to that bad situation mainly due to our own food problems.

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 26 May 2003, 19:13

and we did support local peoples in eastkarelia. We gave food and medicin to local people, when we leaved there. But when soviets get back, the things get again worse. The population of eastkarelia were wealthier when we were there. *dot*

Hanski

Post by Hanski » 27 May 2003, 12:38

LeoAU wrote:There is a book by a Finn author, don't ask me his name or title of the book. We had this discussion quite some time ago, and one of the members actually posted quotes from this book. He gave the figures of Soviet civilians killed by Finns, starved in conc camps etc.
LeoAU, that's great if you have heard a rumour of a book.

But because Oleg started this thread by sharing pictures of Soviet Partisans who had nothing to do with the Finnish theatre of war, would you mind discussing any Finnish atrocities against Soviet civilians on the thread Finland and Russia,

at http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... &start=105

Thank you.

Cheers,
Hanski

LeoAU

Post by LeoAU » 29 May 2003, 01:29

hmononen wrote: LeoAU, that's great if you have heard a rumour of a book.
But it's not if you haven't heard even rumors about Finnish atrocities and that in some things they were even worse than Germans.
But because Oleg started this thread by sharing pictures of Soviet Partisans who had nothing to do with the Finnish theatre of war, would you mind discussing any Finnish atrocities against Soviet civilians on the thread Finland and Russia, ...
Hanski
Hanski, I did not see you raising this point when our Finnish friends started talking about Soviet atrocities on their lands.

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 30 May 2003, 11:30

But it's not if you haven't heard even rumors about Finnish atrocities and that in some things they were even worse than Germans.
Would you tell me more please?

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 30 May 2003, 16:45

The Soviet "partisan's" were sent to a military mission behind enemy lines. But behind the lines it happened so that it was
"rather hard to stay moral knowing that Soviet citizens are treated badly not only by Germans, but by Finns as well"
and so they decided to kill some civilians. But when back at home they reported about destroied enemy garrisons and maybe recieved a medal or two for that.
Quite lame I would say.

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 30 May 2003, 17:20

"rather hard to stay moral knowing that Soviet citizens are treated badly not only by Germans, but by Finns as well"
BS
The Soviet "partisan's" were sent to a military mission behind enemy lines.
Military mission kind what?

Harri

Post by Harri » 30 May 2003, 18:34

In the army there is no missions without any reason. Soviet partisans either had a mission to attack ("terrorize") civilian targets which is bad or they did it without an order, which is even worse, because these men or at least their leaders should have known that such attacks against civilian targets were not quite correct even during war. The fact that the attackers told later heroic stories on attacking large military targets (= full lies) reveal that these missions were authorized by their superiors and also the attackers accepted these.

One can say that it is possible that Partisans didn't know that their targets were peaceful civilian villages and they were given false information. That is quite possible but every real guerrillas scout their targets first before an attack. Just this fact reveals that these "Partisans" were more criminals than soldiers.

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 31 May 2003, 16:08

These "partisan" groups were actually based on the Karelian Front borderguard troops (NKVD) plus Soviet (Communist) Karelians. They weren't guerrilas who fought on occupied territories. They were created on Soviet soil and it was ordered by military command. It's more exact to call them commandos, long range diversionary groups or something like that (though the Soviets really used the word partisan). I think there is no evidence that they were directly ordered to kill civilians. Their main task was to disturb enemy rear (blow up military objects, destroy infastructure, attack enemy garrisons) so that the enemy has to tie up her troops for protecting the rear. After their missions the "partisans" usually reported about big successes and heavy enemy casualties. I looked this info yesterday from a Russian book called "Partizany i armiya" (Partisans and the Army). It's published some years back. I'll give the exact details about the book later.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 31 May 2003, 22:59

Reigo,

I answered to you at: http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... &start=105

I wish we can all continue there. :)

Regards, Juha

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”