Wrangel at Gallipoli

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
David Treloar

Re: Wrangel at Gallipoli

Post by David Treloar » 21 May 2008, 10:33

I should have added that if anyone reproduces that last photo in print or on the internet I would appreciate the acknowledgement with it "From the archive of Colonel George D Treloar"

RCW Mark

Post by RCW Mark » 21 May 2008, 10:58

I have just a few "frontline" photos taken by my father during his time with the Volunteer Armies in 1919-1921. It seems exceptionally difficult to find any more such photos in books or on the internet, apart from photos of tanks and posed photos of generals and other groups. Can anyone direct me to sources of such images?
There aren't that many photos of front-line White troops out there. The camera technology of the time made motion pictures difficult and almost all photos had to survive an evacuation and refugee camp -- or worse.

This book is what you want, if you can find a copy and are prepared to put up with it being in Russian:
http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/1519159/&tbb=1
http://209.85.171.104/translate_c?hl=en ... 159/&tbb=1

Good luck: it's almost impossible to find now.

David Treloar

Post by David Treloar » 22 May 2008, 02:53

On the subject of how many camps there were, and where, judging from postal cancellations they were as follows.

The Turkish government protested that the post was illegal and as a result of allied pressure, General Wrangel closed down the special "Wrangel" postal system on June 1st 1921.

At least 17 camps had been served one time or another by the special postal system.

Constantinople (not a camp, but the central P.O.)
Antigona (Turkey) an island in the Sea of Marmara
Belgrade (Serbia)
Bernadotte or San Stefano (Turkey)
Bizerte (Tunisia)
Buyuk-Dere (Turkey)
Cattaro (Yugoslavia)
Chataldzha (Turkey)
Gallipoli (Turkey)
Camp Lann (Turkey)
Halki (Turkey)
Lemnos (Greece)
Proti (Turkey)
Selimie (Turkey)
Scutari (Albania)
Terapia (Turkey)
Tuzla (Turkey)

Re Lann ....
La terreur, inspirée par les bolcheviks est telle que tous ceux qui ont trouvé le moyen de se réfugier sur un bateau s'y sont précipités sans songer à autre chose qu'à sauver leur vie. Ils sont arrivés littéralement affamés, et le premier jour, avant qu'une distribution de vivres ait pu être faite, les mercantis, qui ne laissent échapper aucune occasion, entourèrent les bateaux dans des embarcations et firent de fructueux échanges, livrant du pain et des vivres contre des vêtements et des fourrures qui leur étaient jetés du bord. Cependant ce désordre fut de courte durée; les autorités militaires et navales y mirent ordre rapidement et l'abord des bateaux de réfugiés fut sévèrement interdit à toute embarcation autre que celles des autorités interalliées et du service de santé. Le débarquement des malades et des blessés, au nombre de 7.000 à 8.000, commença immédiatement; ils furent dirigés sur divers hôpitaux et locaux de la ville et de la banlieue. Ensuite on s'occupa de débarquer et d'installer les réfugiés qui étaient destinés à rester à Constantinople. Un premier groupe, de 3.000 à 4.000 hommes, femmes et enfants, a été casé dans les baraquements du camp Lannes, à San Stefano, par les soins du général Prioul, commandant l'infanterie du corps d'occupation français, d'autres sont installés dans l'immense caserne de Sélimié, à Scutari, dont on voit les quatre tours carrées quand on arrive par mer à Constantinople. Enfin un certain nombre de soldats ont été dirigés par chemin def fer sur différentes localités de la Thrace, pendant qu 'un certain nombre de bateaux transportaient leurs passagers à Gallipoli, à Moudros et ailleurs.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 23 May 2008, 09:53

Scutari (Albania)
There were two towns called Scutari in Ottoman Empire.
1- Scutari (Albania)
2- Scutari in Istanbul. The Scutari in Istanbul is well known as "Üsküdar" (anc. Chrysopolis) It is on the Asian side of the city. The post office must be in Üsküdar Scutari not in Scutari Albania :D

David Treloar

Post by David Treloar » 23 May 2008, 10:42

I am sure that you are correct about Scutari - thanks.

Camp Lann was known also as Zaitin Burnu.

David Treloar

Post by David Treloar » 23 May 2008, 10:48

By the way, the excerpt in French came from Revue 'L'Illustration' no. 4058 de 11 decembre 1920
'Les Derniers Jours de l'Armée de Wrangel' Correspondance et Photographies de Mme. Valentine Thomson
La Guerre Civile en Russie. It includes this image, whichI hope I am not infringing copyright by including.
Attachments
1920 Wrangel descends Admiralty Steps AXN0620v from web.jpg
1920 Wrangel descends Admiralty Steps AXN0620v from web.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 1953 times

neilritchie

Post by neilritchie » 29 Jun 2008, 17:24

I have found this thread extremely interesting. I am a collector of the Wrangel special mail and any further information regarding the postal service would be much appreciated. Especially links books photos.

David Treloar

Post by David Treloar » 30 Jun 2008, 11:04

To neilritchie

If you haven't seen it already, see

http://www.alneum-resources.com/resourc ... unrec.html

David Treloar

Post by David Treloar » 30 Jun 2008, 11:05

Didn't seem to transmit properly....here it is again
http://www.alneum-resources.com/resourc ... unrec.html

neilritchie

Post by neilritchie » 01 Jul 2008, 10:39

Many thanks your reply is appreciated.

David Treloar

Post by David Treloar » 01 Jul 2008, 14:28

To neilritchie

What seemed to be a definitive coverage of the Wrangel issues, of unknown date, was recently sold on Ebay as follows

"ETUDE DE L´EMISSION DITE DE L´ARMMEE WRANGEL" from R. DE GRAEVE, a Member of AJIP.
A Copy of an Absolutely Rare Script with the Complete Analysis of all Wrangel Issues - Stamps and Cancellations, Forgeries, Historical Description with Fotos and Documents. 133 not fixed Pages, written in French. The Copy is very good legibly - much better than the Scans.
So far I know the only one existing - never seen before.
Nice Condition. Actual pictures.
If you want to see more detailed pictures please contact me and I will send you bigger scans.

That was the seller referring to bigger scans, obviously not me. The scans have been deleted from EBay but only were of the cover and maybe one other page, as iI recollect.

The seller was miston26

The transaction is described in EBay as follows - the price of 102 Swiss francs outbid me.

Pleasant transaction. Thanks very much. Recommended seller. Buyer: paulbvd ( 831) 20-Apr-08 11:23
Study & Complete Analysis of All Wrangel Issues French (#180225726615) CHF 102.88 View Item

Maybe paulbvd would be willing to photocopy the original for you (133 pages), but for a hefty price. Maybe miston26 kept a copy for himself?

David Treloar

Post by David Treloar » 09 Oct 2008, 09:37

So many people have accessed my previous images that I am adding another. This shows General Koutepoff farewelling troops leaving Gallipoli. My own records said it was "Lemnos" but I am persuaded by other members that really it is Gallipoli. Any further comment would be appreciated.

David Treloar
Attachments
1921-22 Lemnos General Koutepoff farewelling troops being repatriated to Serbia  compressed for Forum.jpg
1921-22 Lemnos General Koutepoff farewelling troops being repatriated to Serbia compressed for Forum.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 1731 times

Auseklis

Post by Auseklis » 09 Oct 2008, 10:04

There is also a better catalogization done for the main German stamp-catalogue, but not implemented. I could provide it as a file, if needed.

David Treloar

Post by David Treloar » 09 Oct 2008, 12:05

Dear Auseklis
I would greatly appreciate a copy of the catalogue file that you mention, if you could email it to [email protected]

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 09 Sep 2010, 19:52

My friend John Vardas send me the following letter and a photo of about Wrangel which I would like to share with all of you. I thank Vardas for his contribution to the forum.

My name is John Vardas and I am living (partly = half the year) on the island of
Lemnos (which is my fathers birthplace). I was born in 1945 (so we are close in
age) and I got an interest about Lemnos history, which of course involves
Gallipoli campaign during WWI. Wondering around on the internet this morning I
came across the "Axis History Forum" and read the exchange of views on "Wrangler
at Gallipoli" having to do with the White Russians. There is a photo of a
monument in Lemnos sent by Mr David Treloar inquiring if this still exists. Well
it does (or at least a monument like it exists very close to the place where
White Russinas had their two camps (and their Cemetary). I am attaching two
photos of it, one taken 2 years back and the second this year after a repair
that was done on it.
Also the other photo of Mr Treloar is taken in Lemnos at the town of Mudros and
the parade is returning to the camps stationed to the SouthWest of the town
(around a mile and a half away).
I was really touched by your family history and by that old photo from Kozani.
People's lives, you know, have the "world's history in them"! And this
generation of ours is lucky in the way that technology gave us the benefit of
the photograph to preserve our memories.
And to close this email, I was in your land this Spring at a trip starting at
Kappadokia and going (by car) South West, and West thru Konya and then North
West to Izmir and further to Brussa and Instabul. One of the best I ever did.
I hope we stay in touch.
Regards
John
Attachments
Wrangler at Limni.jpg
Wrangler at Limni.jpg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”