Russian Stuka types ?

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 28 Oct 2002 10:19

Hi!

My sources also mention the Yak-9T (some sources Yak-9T-37, but they state the "T" for "tyazhely"= heavy(cannon). The "T" could also carry 200kg PTAB anti-armour bombs (2,5kg each) in four underwing containers. Occasionaly the the NS-37 was replaced by the 23mm VYa. A REAL tank-buster.
There were other AT Yak-9`s too.
Yak-9K "krupnyi kalibr"= heavy caliber(cannon) with 45mm cannon.
Yak-9B "bombardirovshchik" =bomber with 128 1,5 or 2,5kg PTAB bombs can be considered as "tank buster".
Some Yak-7T´s were also made.

Juha

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 26 Nov 2002 12:17

Coldams initial question about 'Stuka-types' (i.e. dive-bombers) and the the formulated question about 'Tank-busters' was a little confusing. The 'Stukas' (Ju 87) were dive-bombers par excellence, their later application as tank-busters - was a stop-gap solution. As the forumners have amply pointed out the Soviet Airforce pioneered low-level ground support for their army. Tank-busting - just became another extension of an already formulated tactical idea. The Szhturmoviki aeroplanes were en entire class of a/c for that concept - that dates back to the 20-ies and thirties - of which some were mentioned in previous posts. But as for the
dive-bomber, the Russians seems to have flirted with the idea - but like most others - abandoned it. They bought Vultee V-11's to compare and tried various applications to types like the R-5, R-10, Su-2 without much success. They put dive-brakes on an SB and called it the Ar-2 but it - like the Pe-2, certainly were not dive-bombers on the Stuka or SBD lines - they were 'zoom-bombers' and their bombing accuracy never got close to that of the true dive-bombers. True dive bombers?
There was a saying in the USN which developed the entire concept - that
'when we say - DIVE - we mean Straight Down'. Only the Germans took notice - with devastating results.

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 26 Nov 2002 12:19

Whoops - I forgot the Japanese - they took notice too! Hope I got that in before someone rattled my memory.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 26 Nov 2002 21:50

Varjag,

How about Blackburn Skua and Saab B 17?

Juha

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 27 Nov 2002 11:57

Juha - the less said about the Blackburn Skua - the better.Yes they 'got' the KOLN in Bergen - in steep 50 degree dives - but nothing like the Ju 87's. And little else. As for the SAAB B 17 it was the same story.It had an air-brake system supposed to be shared between std wing-brakes and the landing-gear extended.The latter never worked - which put som severe operational restrictions on it's 'stuka-use'.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 27 Nov 2002 23:43

Varjag,

Why do I lead you off-topic again...?
So...we finns don`t have to be very sorry that we didn`t receive the 30+ promised Blackburn Roc FIGHTERS at the end of the Winter War?

Kind Regards, Juha

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”