Crewmen shoulder boards Panzer Lehr Division

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
sabrenoir

Crewmen shoulder boards Panzer Lehr Division

Post by sabrenoir » 11 Jun 2018, 06:33

Hi,

My question is about the shoulder boards worn on their black Panzer Wrap by Panzer crewmen of the Panzer Lehr Division in Normandy. I would like to know if it's possible that an Oberfeldwebel wore shoulder boards with the distinctive unit insigna. If so, can you tell me if the unit insigna was embroidered directly onto the shoulder board and/or was a metal one?

Richard

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Crewmen shoulder boards Panzer Lehr Division

Post by John G. » 11 Jun 2018, 14:18

The "L" shoulder board device was worn by many other "Lehr" units than the Panzer Lehr Division.... (Demonstration units- specially trained, more or less "elite" at least initially). NCOs would wear the "L" device in white (silver) aluminum or zinc, EM would be embroidered, officers in gilt metal. By 1944 wear of such devices was not common for obvious reasons... (unit identification, etc.).
John G.

sabrenoir

Post by sabrenoir » 13 Jun 2018, 02:44

John,

I would like to thank you for the information you have provided. It's very appreciated.

eindhoven

Post by eindhoven » 15 Jun 2018, 17:07

While I agree on the general background of auflage (ciphers) for schulterklappen (shoulder boards) I will disagree that by 1944 the wearing of Auflage was not common. Many of the boards I've purchased from veterans brought back from Normandy have them. In context as it relates to Panzer Lehr in Normandy circa 1944 many photos exist of them with Auflage clearly being worn. In fact Auflage were worn all the way up until the end of the war irregardless of the front. In some cases they were simply covered over with cloth slip-ons but then their tactical symbols on their vehicles would just give them away so it was a pointless effort. When embroidered the color of the embroidery was done in denoted waffenfarbe for their branch directly to the shoulder boards and also available embroidered as slip-ons to go over the shoulder boards.

Famous image of PanzerLehr

Operation-Luttich-1944, France
German-Grenadiers-Operation-Luttich-1944.jpg
Metal auflage
Lehr auflage.jpg
Lehr auflage.jpg (33.44 KiB) Viewed 7694 times
Panzergrenadier Lehr schulterklappen
Panzergrenadier Lehr schulterklappen2.jpg
Panzergrenadier Lehr schulterklappen2.jpg (81.77 KiB) Viewed 7694 times
Artillerie, flak Lehr
Lehr artillerie.jpg
Lehr artillerie.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 7694 times