White Scarf, Ridax photo paper

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
McLinda

White Scarf, Ridax photo paper

Post by McLinda » 25 Nov 2020, 09:10

Hello, I'm trying to figure out who this man was. In grandparents photo collection, and while grandfather took a lot of photos while in France (especially of his French MP girlfriend which I uploaded to an album on Flickr https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQaJVsv ) they're all Velox paper and none of them say Ridax on the back. Believe Ridax was a Belgium paper but not sure where, or when, it was used.

This man is wearing a white scarf, there are scratches but it appears he has a star on his left breast and next to it my husband thinks that's a cross, like a Maltese or something and both my husband and father say he doesn't look American. My grandfather always referred to Germans as "Smart buggers", almost like he admired them. I wonder if this man was French or maybe German?? The French MPs did not dress like this, they wore a different uniform, which I will include with this post. The left was his girlfriend (yes, Nana knew about her, she forgave because the girlfriend was very pretty) the right are the guys.

When was Ridax photo paper, with the full word Ridax not the R, produced and where? Is this a WWII photo? Was this man an Axis or Alliance?

(BTW, grandfather was shipped out with the Hqs Co 2nd B, 259th Inf. after going to advanced training in Shelby MS, and according to his letters he was transferred so many times they were gonna kick him out, but instead they made him an MP and he stayed in France. Weird.)

Appreciate any clues you can give me.

(one is colorized but not professionally, only so I could see it differently)

Scanned pic
Scarf Dude.jpg
Full Scan and enhanced a bit

scarf dude croped 1.jpg
Cropped enhanced for clarity

zoomed colored.jpg
zoomed colored

These were the French MPs and Margery, the girlfriend. (She wore an MP uniform in pics too, French)

PopPop's MP pics.jpg
French MPs
Edit: Forgot to add the back of the photo. Says Ridax
Back.jpg
Last edited by McLinda on 25 Nov 2020, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Wahnsinn bei Individuen ist selten - aber in Gruppen, Nationen und Epochen die Regel

R Leonard

Re: White Scarf, Ridax photo paper

Post by R Leonard » 25 Nov 2020, 16:44

That's a US Army enlisted blouse. Probably a CIB & a couple of ribbons below it on the left breast. White scarf would be non-reg.

McLinda

Re: White Scarf, Ridax photo paper

Post by McLinda » 14 Apr 2021, 05:17

R Leonard wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 16:44
That's a US Army enlisted blouse. Probably a CIB & a couple of ribbons below it on the left breast. White scarf would be non-reg.
Thank you!
Wahnsinn bei Individuen ist selten - aber in Gruppen, Nationen und Epochen die Regel

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”