Why did German uniforms look so good?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
mike peters

Re: Why did German uniforms look so good?

Post by mike peters » 11 Jun 2008, 17:35

The German Uniform of WW2 was not the only "Good Looking" Uniform produced during the War ...Many other European Uniforms also paid attention to the finer details. For example ...this is an Italian Royal Carabinieri Captain's Uniform. Look at the Bullion work on the Collar
Attachments
ItalCapt2.jpg
ItalCapt2.jpg (61.31 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
ItalCapt1.jpg
ItalCapt1.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
Last edited by mike peters on 12 Jun 2008, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

pavel michalek

Post by pavel michalek » 11 Jun 2008, 23:13

Nice collection! Can you post more detailed pic on that political leader of the NSDAP with gold ceremonial belt and aiguillete? I would like to see the method of its (that gold aiguillete) attaching onto uniform´s shoulder.

mike peters

Post by mike peters » 11 Jun 2008, 23:25

Glad to post it for you Pavel
Standard (single Braid) PL model with Pin attachment
Attachments
DSC01833.JPG
DSC01833.JPG (127.62 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
DSC01832.JPG
DSC01832.JPG (141.34 KiB) Viewed 2928 times

pavel michalek

Post by pavel michalek » 11 Jun 2008, 23:50

Thank you! :)
Last edited by pavel michalek on 11 Jun 2008, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

mike peters

Post by mike peters » 11 Jun 2008, 23:51

The reason I posted the shots was to emphasize how diverse the TR Uniform “field” is ….so many variations/models/organizations. I wouldn’t generalize things by saying they were all good looking , take the Postal Tunic for example …it was pretty basic.

pavel michalek

Post by pavel michalek » 12 Jun 2008, 11:55

Now these two pics shows, that definitely not all Nazi uniforms were good looking, cool, or something like that.
0,1020,770677,00.jpg
imagen6eb3.jpg

bobbyhill

Post by bobbyhill » 12 Jun 2008, 15:53

ranoncles wrote:Well, for my $0.02

Uniforms reflect the society that produces them.

The German society of WWII was rigid, inordinately awed by authority and very cast-conscious. Soldiers held a highly respected position in society and were supposed to be the heirs of a long martial history. Their uniforms were a reflection of this. Standard Army uniforms are rather formal and old-fashioned (closed neck collar) as a result. The new and ‘technical’ branches like the panzerwaffe and Luftwaffe used smart, modern looking uniforms (open neck collars) to show they were far more modern than the ‘old’ army.

The SS needed to contrast itself with the army and attract young men from the reactionary lure of the Heer. So it needed attractive, modern uniforms as well to show they embodied the future and were a smart choice for young men disenfranchised from the closed ranks of the Heer.

American uniforms (the OD types, not the WWI type uniform) reflected a society that saw war as business. The field uniforms were meant to be as practical as possible, much like work clothes are supposed to be and reflected contemporary civilian dress in many ways.

British battledress uniforms also reflect the role of the British army and its financial state. Soldiers were not particularly highly regarded in society and generally seen as belonging to the servant class. The army was also not supposed to cost very much. Hence, little money and a requirement for an utilitarian outfit. The result was the baggy, drab battledress of rather poor quality which could have served a factory worker just as well.

Beyond this, armies had long recognized the value of smart uniforms and distinguishing items in morale issues and the fostering of esprit de corps.
Each had their own ways of engendering this within the framework of their uniforms.

The Germans issued a bewildering variety of combat medals and awards, campaign decorations and cuff titles.

The British allowed each regiment a lot of leeway in caps, badges and regimental traditions.

The Americans issued decorations for drawing breath and anything more strenuous was rewarded by steadily more prestigious decorations (the infamous salad bar).
Thanks for the post, makes a lot of sense.

miker_gr

Post by miker_gr » 27 Jun 2008, 20:36

I found this site for uniforms http://hollywoodprop.com/panzerofficer.htm
Has anybody bought stuff fron there

Vilix

Post by Vilix » 08 Jul 2008, 01:49

bobbyhill wrote:When I was a little boy and watched Hollywood movies, despite I had almost zero understanding of world affrairs and history (hey I was maybe only 10 years old), I always knew how to recognize Germans (guys in better looking uniforms and steelhelmets) were the bad guys and whoever they were fighting (played by guys in poorer looking uniforms) were the good guys. In my young mind I wondered why did the knights in shining armor(American soliders) always stood sloutched, had a chewing gum in their mouths, unshaven and had their helmet straps unhooked.....The British had helmets looked like a salad bowl....and the Russians looked like bandits who got their uniforms from the Salvation Army donation bins.....The bad guys in the movies (Germans) on the other hand, always stood up straight, tall, and wore very smart looking uniform which was always clean and pressed.

As I'm much older now and understand a lot more about the war and the atrocities associated with it, German uniforms are still to my mind, so much better looking than those of other armies'.

I was wondering if somebody share similar impressions and can share their knowledge of the design history of German uniforms.
You just described exactly how I've felt about German uniforms my entire life. I think I was the only 7 year old to ask Santa for a german helment. 8O

dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 » 17 Jul 2008, 00:21

miker_gr wrote:I found this site for uniforms http://hollywoodprop.com/panzerofficer.htm
Has anybody bought stuff fron there
No, but thier officers SS tunic looks like an M36 tunic with officers insignia sewn on. Are the items supposed to have been used in movies????Or is it just another costume/re-enactor vendor??

Luft300

Post by Luft300 » 17 Jul 2008, 02:02

Well I can tell you two things about the Hitlerjugend black panzer officer's jacket:
(1) It is an authentic piece; and,
(2) This picture was taken by me many years ago in George Petersen's shop where I saw it. I used a photoshop software package to white out the background, etc. as you can see from the wavy lines around it. So they've stolen and used my photo. Advertising that you're going to get one like this is FRAUD... because the Hitlerjugend jacket is authentic but they're going to sell you a reproduction. And come to think of it I've had correspondence with the guy wearing the panzer uniform and sitting in the chair. He used himself as the model and then used software to put the uniform on. So they stole his picture too. UPDATE: Apparently they have permission to use the pictures of the guy dressed up in the various uniforms; however, they do NOT have permission to use my photo and I've told them about it. Also, did you see their Waffen-SS officer uniform with the TOTENKOPF cuffband? It's an enlisted tunic, Army at that, because there are sets of 3 belt hook holes!!! I wouldn't do any business with these folks, especially if I was serious about reenacting, living history, or simply for display!

Luft300
Last edited by Luft300 on 18 Jul 2008, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.

BAZ

Post by BAZ » 17 Jul 2008, 15:43

Luft, that's outrageous!!
Email them!
As if it wasn't bad enough with all the shysters on FleaBay ripping off punters!!

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 17 Jul 2008, 20:47

Luft300 wrote:Well I can tell you two things about the Hitlerjugend black panzer officer's jacket:
(1) It is an authentic piece; and,
(2) This picture was taken by me many years ago in George Petersen's shop where I saw it. I used a photoshop software package to white out the background, etc. as you can see from the wavy lines around it. So they've stolen and used my photo. Advertising that you're going to get one like this is FRAUD... because the Hitlerjugend jacket is authentic but they're going to sell you a reproduction. And come to think of it I've had correspondence with the guy wearing the panzer uniform and sitting in the chair. He used himself as the model and then used software to put the uniform on. So they stole his picture too.

Luft300
I thought that looked like a photo I've seen posted of W.S.'s HJ SS-Ustf wrap, did you take all of his photos Bob ?

What's the concensus on the owner ? It's clearly a EM/NCO issue wrapper with the factory RZM sleeve eagle ... there's only a few 12th SS Panzer Regt Zugführers who were 'field promoted' from SS-Hscha to SS-Ustf ... in fact on Heer,W-SS Forum there's a list right now. I realise it could just be an officer grabbing an issue wrap for wear in the field though.

Ian.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 17 Jul 2008, 23:28

German uniforms in the cinema weren't ALWAYS that good! :lol: There were some real pig's abortions about DURING and just after the war because people simply didn'tknow what they looked like. For the best of British "impression" uniforms, see "The Day Will Dawn"...and of course for Holywood, just look at the state of the Germans in "Casablanca"! 8O When Tommies on leave went to the cinema and saw THOSE they must have wondered WTF??? :lol:

Luft300

Post by Luft300 » 18 Jul 2008, 02:24

Here is the original photo I took. I think this is the only photo of that tunic that I took. I don't remember doing a series. Actually I believe that most officers received standard issue black panzer uniforms and then had them tailored with collar piping and insignia. For a walk-out dress black panzer uniform they probably went to a tailor and had them made with silver bullion sleeve eagles, etc.

Luft300
Attachments
SS-Untersturmfuhrer of Panzer Hitlerjugend Division.jpg
SS-Untersturmfuhrer of Panzer Hitlerjugend Division.jpg (72.36 KiB) Viewed 2455 times

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”