Why did German uniforms look so good?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Ian Hulley

Re: Why did German uniforms look so good?

Post by Ian Hulley » 18 Jul 2008, 10:05

Is that the 90's Time Life 'IIIrd Reich' series of books I see on the shelf ? If so I have them too :wink:

Ian.

Luft300

Post by Luft300 » 19 Jul 2008, 01:16

Yes, the tunic was in George Petersen's library in his shop. I cannot remember the year but it was his second shop in the Fullerton Industrial Park.

Luft300

W.N.

Post by W.N. » 16 Aug 2008, 09:51

bobbyhill..I'm with you...same doubt since I was a little girl.

Henri Winkelman

Post by Henri Winkelman » 09 Sep 2018, 14:20

Always an interesting topic. In my opinion there are 3 factors which made the German uniforms look so good:

1. The Schirmmütze. I don't think this needs an explanation. Arguably the most impressive field cap ever. It gave the Wehrmacht officers a combination of glamor, authority and appearance. Consider Erwin Rommel. A middle-aged bald man, not very good looking.

But when Rommel wore his Schirmmütze, he looked much younger and much more attractive:

2. German insignia, including the Iron cross. Might seem like a small detail, but it is incredibly stylish:

3. Stahlhelm. I have long wondered why these helmets looked a lot better than the American variants, but I think the most important reason is the smooth edge on front of the helmet. It makes the eyes of the soldiers look darker and gives a more agressive impression.

Add this to the fact that the Germans are usually portrayed as the bad guys (in most cases correct) and you will understand why their uniforms look much better on most photographs.

I found this picture on Getty Images. For me a good example of how people like to see German soldiers. Determined, self-confident and a bit grimly.

When you compare that to the continously withdrawing German forces from 1943-1945, the difference is clear and they don't look very impressive anymore:

hannibal2

Post by hannibal2 » 08 Mar 2019, 07:26

Boy, that's some collection! I've never seen anything like it. Even a general's uniform. Acquiring the whole lot over time must have cost you a pretty penny, but it's a great investment for sure. It must be worth thousands now. What's your estimate of its current value? Just curious...

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 09 Mar 2019, 02:05

Officer and cadet perfectly uniformed
The long coats only look good on tall people, this attached to their height caps, give them an impressive appearance
Attachments
German Army.jpg
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 09 Mar 2019, 09:56

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”