Propagandakompanie questions

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Ropes

Propagandakompanie questions

Post by Ropes » 27 Aug 2008 17:22

I was wondering would a Propagandakompanie photographer that had been attached a Gebirgsjaeger regiment be Permitted to wear the the edelwiess arm patch and would they be alloed to grow facial hair due to the fact the gebirgs were?

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Re: Propagandakompanie questions

Post by Christoph Awender » 27 Aug 2008 18:59

Hello

The Edelweiss would just be issued if he had basic and advanced training as a Gebirgsjäger (exceptions like Narvik veterans..).. so not for a normal Propaganda photographer. Gebirgsjäger were not more or less allowed to grow a beard. Except U-boat crews beards were not allowed no matter if Gebirgsjaeger or not. Situations like long term, constant combat conditions without possibility to shave proof the rule.

\Christoph

Ropes

Post by Ropes » 27 Aug 2008 20:27

Christoph Awender wrote:Hello

The Edelweiss would just be issued if he had basic and advanced training as a Gebirgsjäger (exceptions like Narvik veterans..).. so not for a normal Propaganda photographer. Gebirgsjäger were not more or less allowed to grow a beard. Except U-boat crews beards were not allowed no matter if Gebirgsjaeger or not. Situations like long term, constant combat conditions without possibility to shave proof the rule.

\Christoph

Cheers for the info. So what did allow Gebirgs to wear beards? I know Papa ringel wore one and I have seen pics of gebirgs wearing them aswell. Would it only have been during Constant fighting?

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 28 Aug 2008 00:27

Well, Ringel is not a normal soldier and cannot be taken as example. As I said there was no exception for Gebirgsjäger. You have to differ between not shaved and a grown beard due to no possibility to shave. There are photos from all kind of arms (not just Gebirgsjäger) wearing beards which were exception from the rule. Mustaches were allowed to a certain extent.

\Christoph

Ropes

Post by Ropes » 28 Aug 2008 02:12

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

tigre

Post by tigre » 01 Sep 2019 19:21

Hello to all :D; a complement....................................

Narvikschild!

Source: Der Seekrieg in Bildern.

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”